• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    c4s43b3xv9qa.jpg
    Only 120 calories for huuuugeeeee veggie salad

Curious...what is 'sprinkled' on top?

Riced cauliflower in the middle but the dusting is onion and garlic powder.

wow...that's a lot of powder! I'd love it:))))))

I put a TON of onion powder on my salads and veggies, LOL. I find it really gives salads a great flavor and almost like a chip coating, (I mixed it up after this) when it mixes with and thickens the dressing. So good!

here's now another q for you...what is the dressing you use/make?

This particular time I used Trader Joe's balsamic (25 cal). But my favorites are walden farms honey dijon, skinny girl balsamic (10cal), and light italian (10-25cal). I typically stick to <30 calories per 2 tbsp dressings. I also add some type of hot sauce to the salad and a squirt of fresh lemon. :smile:

Then I add [b]onion powder, garlic powder, no salt salt, italian seasoning, and a pinch of sweetener to balance the spiciness of the hot sauce.
    [/b]

I do this too...usually add in smoked paprika - tumeric - black pepper- ginger powder - cumin and saurerkraut or Kimchi too...I'm obsessed with spices!

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    For Tumeric specifically (or a blend that has it), what type of foods does it work with? I’m vegan and have tried it on veggies and thought it was terrible - I assume I used too much or had a bad combo. Thoughts?

I am not a spice expert, but new new obsessions are Trade Joe’s, Everything but the Bagel, and my new love, vanilla bean powder. Yum.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    For Tumeric specifically (or a blend that has it), what type of foods does it work with? I’m vegan and have tried it on veggies and thought it was terrible - I assume I used too much or had a bad combo. Thoughts?

I am not a spice expert, but new new obsessions are Trade Joe’s, Everything but the Bagel, and my new love, vanilla bean powder. Yum.

I think of curries when I think of turmeric. Google Aloo gobi.
  • briznack
    briznack Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2018

Turmeric is one of the spices that is best bloomed before adding to a recipe. Blooming turmeric takes a lot of the bitterness out of it. I use it in a lot of things, after blooming, pizza sauce, tofu scramble, chick pea salad and, of course, Indian food.

PS, I’m vegan as well.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    briznack wrote: »

Turmeric is one of the spices that is best bloomed before adding to a recipe. Blooming turmeric takes a lot of the bitterness out of it. I use it in a lot of things, after blooming, pizza sauce, tofu scramble, chick pea salad and, of course, Indian food.

PS, I’m vegan as well.

^I do the same...great in my scrambled 'eggs' (the tofu scramble you mentioned). I love it soups and curries - which I have very often. I've tried 'tumeric milk' - I like it (used almond milk w/vanilla stevia). I like it, but it's probably an acquired taste - very 'earthy'
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,301 Member
    briznack wrote: »

PS, I’m vegan as well.

^I do the same...great in my scrambled 'eggs' (the tofu scramble you mentioned). I love it soups and curries - which I have very often. I've tried 'tumeric milk' - I like it (used almond milk w/vanilla stevia). I like it, but it's probably an acquired taste - very 'earthy'

I don't like the taste, but fyi it's great for arthritis. I give the pill form to my dogs, the oldest stopped limping from arthritis & is doing well. I make paste & just eat it
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member

I know someone who does it with quinoa. She mixes tumeric, cumin and paprika into the water with the quinoa. Then add roasted garlic after. She ate the quinoa blend with a lot of different combos one of which was sautéed spinach, portabella mushroom, cherry tomato and cashews.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »

I know someone who does it with quinoa. She mixes tumeric, cumin and paprika into the water with the quinoa. Then add roasted garlic after. She ate the quinoa blend with a lot of different combos one of which was sautéed spinach, portabella mushroom, cherry tomato and cashews.

Triple whammy for me. :* I also hate cumin and quinoa! But the spinach, mushroom and tomato part sounds delish.

Hope everyone is off to a very filling Summer.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Homemade strawberry poppyseed salad 400 cals. My 6+ lb veggie protein salad for my first meal at almost 7pm. Exactly 400 cals and macros posted!
    Sooooo many ingredients/ high volume lol!!

jwd0uq1o7gf3.jpeg
    7acvctfdkpsz.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Ugh... i'm a volume eater and completely underestimated my dinner today and had nothing else out of the freezer. 19 (yes, 19!) tortelloni, 50gr marcarpone sauce, 50gr. bacon, 10 gr. parmeggiano. Better planning for tomorrow needed I guess.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I guess i have officially become a volume eater. Do we have a secret hand shake or something? Lol
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    this is me!

only I am having trouble with my macros being well balanced.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Following for recipes. This is an interesting way to eat and I’m willing to try to lose my final 5-10lbs. I know this was mentioned before but I also get a very large belly after eating lots of veggies 😛 but a large belly is a full belly 😏
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    yes my plate always has a ton of food as I have tons of veggies (no sauce, no butter no oil). Skip the starch (too many cals per volume) and then a lean protein (this varies). I skip oils of any kind to get "more food" and use herbs and spices :)

I need to mentally have a lot of componants in my meal. a full plate. I am not a fan of smoothies as they are liquid :P I wanna eat! it is a big mind game though, and I'll need to eventually do some work on the volume to improve overall eating habits.

It has me off in my stats though. Volume eating has me very low in fat. Which wasn't my goal!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    @alexmose a full belly is a good belly! On any given day mine starts out pretty flat in the morning and by after suppertime, I look like I’m fixin to give birth.

Truth!