That's poor form

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    i saw a video way back on a lion protecting a wounded fox from the other lions

Did he eat the fox after the others left?

of course, I read it as: Lion protecting his dinner from other lions.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I didn't let myself think this person I was helping was a complete idiot, but instead gently let them know they are close in what they are doing but just needed a bit of guidance.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    I found out last week that my neighbors daughter barely eats at home because her mom doesn't feed her. This broke my heart on so many levels. Since finding this out, I've made sure I always offer her food when she comes over. I always make sure she goes home full.

I had a similar situation years ago when my son was 8 or so. There was a neighbor boy who had the same birthday, same age. When I made chocolate chip cookie bars from scratch for my sons birthday, we invited him over as well to celebrate. I will never forget the look on his face when he bit into that bar and how big his eyes got when he asked if I made them and I said yes. After he told me he was hungry because his mom didn't cook, I always made sure to offer him snacks and invite him over for dinner often.

I can't even fathom the thought of how many kids go hungry during summer break. Most of these kids rely on food from school when they're in situations like these. No kid should go to bed hungry, Ever!
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I was talking to someone today who told me that sharing the fact that you've done a good deed is poor form. That essentially you shouldn't do it, it's bragging, it's narcissistic.

Well *kitten* that. I mowed my neighbours lawn today because they're busy with 3 kids and I was doing mine so hell why not? Does it feel good? Yes. Am I showing off my good deed? Sure.

Some people are inspired by good deeds, some get ideas from other peeps good deeds, some folks just think hey should do that as well. Ultimately more good *kitten* gets done and if you're one of those folks that can see the negative in a good deed, well *kitten* you *kitten*!

So what good deeds have you done? past and present. Let's hear em, brag all you want!

I'm a bit confused. I'm new to using the forums here. When someone writes a bad word, does the engine just replace it with *kitten*? I've been noticing *kitten* in a few posts here and there, and it's... confusing. Unless it's some new kind of internet term I don't know yet, because I'm basically middle aged and very un-hip.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Locolady98 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone today who told me that sharing the fact that you've done a good deed is poor form. That essentially you shouldn't do it, it's bragging, it's narcissistic.

Well *kitten* that. I mowed my neighbours lawn today because they're busy with 3 kids and I was doing mine so hell why not? Does it feel good? Yes. Am I showing off my good deed? Sure.

Some people are inspired by good deeds, some get ideas from other peeps good deeds, some folks just think hey should do that as well. Ultimately more good *kitten* gets done and if you're one of those folks that can see the negative in a good deed, well *kitten* you *kitten*!

So what good deeds have you done? past and present. Let's hear em, brag all you want!

I'm a bit confused. I'm new to using the forums here. When someone writes a bad word, does the engine just replace it with *kitten*? I've been noticing *kitten* in a few posts here and there, and it's... confusing. Unless it's some new kind of internet term I don't know yet, because I'm basically middle aged and very un-hip.

its a filter to automatically change offensive words.

Basically replace it with any word you want....that way if its rude its your fault.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

yeah, it's just a filter.

you can't say: *kitten* or *kitten* or *kitten* or *kitten*
  • Locolady98
    edited June 2017
    Options

its a filter to automatically change offensive words.

Basically replace it with any word you want....that way if its rude its your fault.

Sweet! Kinda like "if the shoe fits..."

And of course now I have to test it out. Damn.
  • Locolady98
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Apparently, damn is not a back word.

There we go. Now we're talkin'!

Thanks!! :smiley:

Whoa, whoa... I just found a work-around. Type the bad word, post it, then go back and edit post, and the bad word will revert to the bad word in the saved post! Hahaha!!! I love it! Sorry. I'm hijacking the thread. Locolady out.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Apparently, damn is not a back word. *kitten*.

well.... it sorta worked
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I was standing in line at a thrift store that's run by the local food bank, and the couple in front of me were paying with a voucher. She didn't have enough on the voucher to get the last item, so I told them I'd get it for her. It was actually pretty awkward. lol. They were grateful, though, and it felt good.
  • Motorsheen
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Apparently, damn is not a back word.

There we go. Now we're talkin'!

Thanks!! :smiley:

Whoa, whoa... I just found a work-around. Type the bad word, post it, then go back and edit post, and the bad word will revert to the bad word in the saved post! Hahaha!!! I love it! Sorry. I'm hijacking the thread. Locolady out.

whoa, really... well **** me

edit: yep, it worked
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    AI talk about the good deeds so I can share how much it makes a difference in someone's life. There's a homeless man in town and over the past months I've seen him get thinner and thinner. The other day we were on the way to sons taekwondo and my son aked how we could make a difference in his life. So we went to winners and bought him a reusable water bottle since it's about to sunmer and he'll need water more often. Then we bought him a new bag since his was falling apart. We went to the grocery store and put money on a card for him and picked him up and meal and brought it back. He was extremely thankful. Told us he hasn't eaten in a few days bcause it's been raining and when it rains none of the food in the garbages are edible. My heart breaks for him. But I plan on buying him another card next month so he can eat food and he doesn't miss any meals.

That's a nice simple solution with the water bottle. But i'm more impressed with your sons desire to help him.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I talk about the good deeds so I can share how much it makes a difference in someone's life. There's a homeless man in town and over the past months I've seen him get thinner and thinner. The other day we were on the way to sons taekwondo and my son aked how we could make a difference in his life. So we went to winners and bought him a reusable water bottle since it's about to sunmer and he'll need water more often. Then we bought him a new bag since his was falling apart. We went to the grocery store and put money on a card for him and picked him up and meal and brought it back. He was extremely thankful. Told us he hasn't eaten in a few days bcause it's been raining and when it rains none of the food in the garbages are edible. My heart breaks for him. But I plan on buying him another card next month so he can eat food and he doesn't miss any meals.

You must be proud of your son. My heart swelled reading that! How sweet and thoughtful!
    Excellent ideas of how to help someone out too
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    One thing I always remember that can help people out is to listen to them. My grandmother used to volunteer at the psychiatric hospital and used to tell me that a lot of the people there just wanted someone listen to them.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    i saw a video way back on a lion protecting a wounded fox from the other lions

Did he eat the fox after the others left?

here is the video i was talking about

https://youtu.be/VtXZVDH3VXE

Sheesh, it figures.... a female lion, right? She's protecting the fox and schoolin' her cubs.

and then..... bustin' the male lion's chops....

"Don't eat that fox; you ate a fox just last week... you need to watch your diet."

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for starting this topic.

Thinking about this made me realize we:
    -do things (Yay?)
    -prefer anonymity
    -have potential to do more
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I like hearing people share the good things they have done to help others. It doesn't matter to me if they did it just to help someone or if they did it for the purpose of sharing. Either way another person's life was positively impacted with no expectation of repayment.

I like hearing about them too! Makes me see that I shouldn't lose ALL hope in humanity, that there are some good people still left in the world.