Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    To answer the original question:

Bread. I could eat so many calories of bread in one sitting if I'm not careful. While I do have toast for breakfast every weekday, it's heavily portion controlled, and I try to make things like fresh artisan bread an occasional treat.

Cereal. I love muesli and granola, but I can rarely justify the calories for a portion big enough to be "worth it". (Strangely, I can do tiny portions of ice cream, chocolate, chips, etc. but I'd rather just skip the cereal than have a tiny portion.)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nothing really shocks me anymore. When I first saw the stats of pb I was shocked. Then I went to pb powder. I do have peanut butter in my house but I only eat it once in a while and only a half a serving then. Oreo thins was my greatest find this year (or last year). I get the 140 calorie packs or if I get the regular pack I have no problem taking out a few and moving on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I was more surprised with serving sizes than I was with calories....I could pretty well determine what was calorie dense and what wasn't even if I was unaware of the actual number...so like I knew cheese was pretty calorie dense (and I ate a lot of it) 'cuz it's basically fat...but I didn't really realize that the calorie amount was for one tiny little ounce.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    becky19_80 wrote: »
    Ive been scanning everything and cereals and cheese were way higher in calories then i thought.

Just want to point out, you've been *scanning* everything, but have you been *weighing* out the serving sizes? That's usually where the bigger shock comes from. Sadly, a 3/4 cup serving of cereal is not really 3/4 of a cup. :(
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    baked potato 105 plus a touch of butter 25
  • ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Tortilla wraps. I never gave it much thought until I compared them and bread; I always thought that wraps were a lower calorie option but they aren't really!

Not a tortilla but more of a flat bread... I've been working with "Flat Outs" for awhile to roll stuff for lunches. Anywhere from 90-130 cals per "sheet" (kinda a flat-sided oval shape; about 7x10 inches) depending on what variety you select. Their "Core 12" wraps have 12G of protein with 8g net-carbs for 130 cals -- not terrible at all, and available in Canadia too @Tacklewasher ! (link --> https://www.flatoutbread.com )

Recently discovered these and I'm a happy camper now!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bandbmc wrote: »
    One banana. 100 calories. When my daily allowance is 1200, that is painful...

I have bananas everyday in my smoothies but no longer have whole bananas - I use either a half or a third depending on how big it is. I store the unused banana cut side down on a small lid.
    I freeze halves, and then we use them in morning smoothies, makes it cold too. Double benefit
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Pastries :( Not that I didn't know they were high calorie, it's just impossible to find one now that fits into my day without having to skip a meal in exchange for it. And half of them are even higher than they first appear, as "1 serving" is only half the tiny item and it's 400-600 calories.

Oh, and my old favourite at A&W (lived near a small town and it was A&W or Subway only) is an entire days calories almost. And I was eating that at least once a week. No wonder going to the gym wasn't helping me, no matter how crazy I went on the cardio machines. Now my mozza burger combos are few and far between. Once every couple of months if I had a really good day for calorie burns.
  • gloriakeegan
    gloriakeegan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can still have a Teen Burger in Canada and I believe that is around 500 calories. No fries or regular pop though.
  • Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mostly fruits. I expect high fat items like peanut butter mayo etc to be really high, but fruit really adds up for me in the summer. I kind of think of it as having very little but then I'm at 350c in fruit for the day and it'll put me over
  • Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Everything.

This :'(
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Green olives.

I eat pickles and olives pretty much non-stop and always loaded green olives onto pretty much anything except breakfast and dessert. I have a hard time remembering not to throw 25 olives on the side of rice and chicken, pizza, salad, pretty much everything. Now I just slam pickles and jerky for my salt tooth.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Green olives.

I eat pickles and olives pretty much non-stop and always loaded green olives onto pretty much anything except breakfast and dessert. I have a hard time remembering not to throw 25 olives on the side of rice and chicken, pizza, salad, pretty much everything. Now I just slam pickles and jerky for my salt tooth.

Oh yes! Olives were a big one too. I guess it shouldn't have been...I mean olive oil, but for some reason I didn't put two and two together.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, olives are sadly high cal. Now I use picked veg or pepperoncini instead, often, but the amount of olives that work calorically for a salad or pasta dish or whatever is sad, and my old love of snacking on olives (and nuts and cheese) was disturbingly high cal.

Another not really a shock, because I've known it forever, but I think back as a teenager I had convinced myself that spinach dip was super healthy and probably low cal, because spinach. (Don't think I ever thought that about spinach stuffed pizza.)

On the other end, I was actually shocked (and remain a little skeptical) about how low Lou Malnati's cals are compared to what I would have expected (and it's way better than Uno's, which I cannot personally stand.)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

If I do that, I'm only having two meals that day - easy for me because I find those big burgers ridiculously filling - or I just finished a long run (in which case I'll be jonesing for onion rings and whatnot as well).

I was really pleased to discover that the best burger places in my area often have options like seared Ahi burgers. Love those, and they're much more doable calorie-wise. More in the 500-600 cal range.

Personally, I find many of the chain restaurants' reported dessert calories to be ridiculous. I know if I made the equivalent using my own recipes (that are not at all calorie conscious) and super premium ice cream if needed, mine would come out to 50-75% of theirs. And still be astronomical.

I can only assume that at some stage there's a nonsensical butter bath, or the portion size varies so widely that they have to report more than what a typical single serving would be.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    To be honest...the thing that shocks me the most is how much I used to eat - both in calories and volume - just a few months ago. And it was my second go-round - so I KNEW. What the heck was that?

Dairy Queen dinner

double cheeseburgers - 580 calories
    1 large onion rings - 360
    1 medium Blizzard - 1050

1,666 calories in ONE MEAL. (and I admit...sometimes I ate two burgers. :'( WTH was wrong with me?)
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Burger buns. 300-400 calories on average. Also a super easy way to cut 3-400 calories from your day.