Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i'm not shocked by it, but peanut butter calories make me a little sad :laugh:

Same here. Oreos are another. Look at the serving size and the calories on the package. It'll flat out shock you. I wish they made a lower calorie version of them but they don't bother. How many of you remember sitting down to eat a third or even half a package of those things with milk in the evenings. My wife always liked chips/dip, I liked oreos and milk haha. No wonder I got so fat. Body by Oreo lol.

Man, I would stab somebody for a sleeve of Oreos and a giant glass of ice cold milk. That sounds SO good!

Oreo Thins are crack. Just sayin'.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Everything.

Isn't that the truth!!
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, which I love. And milkshakes. OMG a decent tasting one has a whole day's worth of calories in it!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

This.

I contribute a lot of the weight I gained in recent years to eating out at restaurants a lot more frequently than I used to and not realizing how many calories are in most restaurant dishes.

Eating out is a rare occurrence for me now. Yes, I could eat half of a restaurant portion or I could get grilled veggies with some sort of protein, but I find I enjoy making what I actually want at home for usually the same or less calories with far less sodium.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    AVOCADO!!! I love them and it makes me cry.... yes they are healthy and I still eat them but in smaller portions, I used to eat a whole one in one sitting, now I split them in half. I do weigh it in grams, some of them are over 100 calories for a HALF depending on the size.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    gyros/gyro meat/lamb in general

tastes like beef/steak. is not lean beef/steak.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    pdmccone wrote: »
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

Sigh.

Not in Canada from what I see.

Tortilla's I'm having are 180 cals and I'd love to try a lower cal version that tastes good.

I'm not low carb but I go shop at their stores for La Tortilla Factory tortillas and they're amazing. I buy the smaller ones for tacos @ 70 cals (we count the fibre as calories so they're the same as the 45cal US ones) I get it at Low Carb Grocery; they also have large ones for 110 cals but 10g protein and tons of fibre

My grocery store sells Jicama tortillas. You could make your own with a mandolin slicer, but it's nice to just buy them pre-cut. 7 calories per tortilla. Or course it doesn't taste anything like a tortilla as it's a fruit, but it does the job of holding stuff together and is nice and crunchy.

Nuts, cheese and fruit were the biggest eye openers for me when I started. Ice cream, milk, oats, granola, beans, quinoa too.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Cashews.
    Tortilla chips.
    Eggnog.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Tortilla wraps. I never gave it much thought until I compared them and bread; I always thought that wraps were a lower calorie option but they aren't really!

Not a tortilla but more of a flat bread... I've been working with "Flat Outs" for awhile to roll stuff for lunches. Anywhere from 90-130 cals per "sheet" (kinda a flat-sided oval shape; about 7x10 inches) depending on what variety you select. Their "Core 12" wraps have 12G of protein with 8g net-carbs for 130 cals -- not terrible at all, and available in Canadia too @Tacklewasher ! (link --> https://www.flatoutbread.com )
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The Timothy's near me stocks kosher pastries from a bakery I frequent. Because, in Ontario, all chains with more than... 20? 25? locations must list calories of everything served, the pastries are labeled, despite the bakery itself only having 2 locations. 1/2 jam pastry=610 calories? 1 turnover=580? Hoooooooooooooooboy.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    granola and raisin bran cereal, most fast food, raisins, oatmeal, nuts, beans... i could go on and on
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Tortilla wraps. I never gave it much thought until I compared them and bread; I always thought that wraps were a lower calorie option but they aren't really!

Not a tortilla but more of a flat bread... I've been working with "Flat Outs" for awhile to roll stuff for lunches. Anywhere from 90-130 cals per "sheet" (kinda a flat-sided oval shape; about 7x10 inches) depending on what variety you select. Their "Core 12" wraps have 12G of protein with 8g net-carbs for 130 cals -- not terrible at all, and available in Canadia too @Tacklewasher ! (link --> https://www.flatoutbread.com )

I'm in the UK so no joy here... I will continue my search but I might just try making my own chapati style flatbread to use as a wrap.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Nuts and milkshakes. I mean, I knew both were high cal items but just how high cal was shocking. I went hiking once and decided to use up some of the extra cals at Dairy Queen. I pulled into the lot and brought up the website on my phone to decide what to order and nearly dropped my phone looking at the calories of the shakes! Even with the hiking cals I couldn't fit one in :cry:
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cashews, cinnamon buns, basboosa
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Chipotle salads
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies...370 at Starbucks!