Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »
    i'm not shocked by it, but peanut butter calories make me a little sad :laugh:

Same here. Oreos are another. Look at the serving size and the calories on the package. It'll flat out shock you. I wish they made a lower calorie version of them but they don't bother. How many of you remember sitting down to eat a third or even half a package of those things with milk in the evenings. My wife always liked chips/dip, I liked oreos and milk haha. No wonder I got so fat. Body by Oreo lol.

1/3 or 1/2 a package? You can stop before the 'whole package'?

*prostrates* Oh great God of Willpower! Teacheth me thine ways! *grovel grovel grovel* :)

Yup, is one reason why I don't have Oreos in the house.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    schtump wrote: »

I must be reading this wrong. Those aren't seriously $24/ a package? I mean, it says 1 package, but that must be a case or something, right?

Edit: Okay...now I see it's a pack of 6 packages and each package has 8 tortillas, so it's 48 tortillas...Much better. lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    schtump wrote: »

I must be reading this wrong. Those aren't seriously $24/ a package? I mean, it says 1 package, but that must be a case or something, right?

Pack of 6 means a pack of 6 packages of tortillas. Each package of tortillas contains 8, so $24 for 48 tortillas.
  • taughc
    taughc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: peanut butter. I could go to town on that stuff. :'( I refuse to buy/keep any unless it's powdered.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Everything good :)

I think I was more surprised by serving sizes than calories, at the point where you really try and work with the numbers it can be so frustrating balancing the serving sizes.

Tortilla Chips (all chips, why come in such large bags when I'm only supposed to eat 12), Candy, Nuts, Beef :o

Somethings we have to learn why they are worth the calories, some we try and balance into our diets, while others we just give up on.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    RE: Tortillas

Take solace! There's a 50/50 (half corn, half flour) blue tortilla by Tortilla Factory that's 90 calories each. I love them and they're a lot easier to include occasionally than those 200 calorie per pop guys.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

Yeah, agreed. I don't really like fast food burgers, and certainly can make lower cal ones at home, but it's not hard to find a reasonable cal lunch from a fast food burger, whereas other restaurant burgers (which I splurge on occasionally) are nuts, especially compared to my at home burger. And those are the ones I know, most of the places I might get a burger are local places that don't post calories, but you can tell.

That said, there are lots of restaurants with quite reasonable cal food -- that Potbelly's mentioned before is a place I used to get sandwiches often (before watching cals), and was pleased to see my usual order came in around 300 cal. (I also used to get one of their cookies, that come in around 400 cal -- and have the calories right there, I just ignored them -- often enough. Those are never worth it now, sigh.)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    pdmccone wrote: »
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

Agreed!
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I went to Taco Bell with a coworker today and stuck with my 170 calorie hard taco no sour cream but I was shocked at how many calories some of the other menu options were. There was one meal that had 1600 calories! That is more than my entire day allotment. Holy cow!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    biggest shocker is muffins. - like the ones at Starbucks. Potato chip calories are huge too-- considering how many you want to eat to have satisfaction.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @cherilee0831 I love Chick-fil-a sauce, especially to dip the waffle fries in...*sigh*
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    biggest shocker is muffins. - like the ones at Starbucks. Potato chip calories are huge too-- considering how many you want to eat to have satisfaction.

The ones at Costco have 600 calories.!!! :'(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I only eat half of a sit down restaurant burger per meal.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I only eat half of a sit down restaurant burger per meal.

I typically have 2-3 bites of "the whole thing" then pick up a knife and fork and eat the rest bunless (which has the added benefit of eliminating as much of the mayo/sauce as sticks to the bun). I don't really like the idea of leftover burger, so I'd rather focus on the yummy middle part. If I don't finish it, no big deal.

I am also a huge fan of restaurants that will let you "lettuce wrap" the burger. I was very cynical about the practice before I tried it (because I *love* good quality bread) but, unless the bun is amazing, I'll take the calorie savings. So that I can spend them on my side dish or dessert. :wink:
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Rice Krispies Cereal - 120 Cal / per Cup