Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Foods with shocking high cals

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    To answer the original question:

Bread. I could eat so many calories of bread in one sitting if I'm not careful. While I do have toast for breakfast every weekday, it's heavily portion controlled, and I try to make things like fresh artisan bread an occasional treat.

Cereal. I love muesli and granola, but I can rarely justify the calories for a portion big enough to be "worth it". (Strangely, I can do tiny portions of ice cream, chocolate, chips, etc. but I'd rather just skip the cereal than have a tiny portion.)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Nothing really shocks me anymore. When I first saw the stats of pb I was shocked. Then I went to pb powder. I do have peanut butter in my house but I only eat it once in a while and only a half a serving then. Oreo thins was my greatest find this year (or last year). I get the 140 calorie packs or if I get the regular pack I have no problem taking out a few and moving on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I was more surprised with serving sizes than I was with calories....I could pretty well determine what was calorie dense and what wasn't even if I was unaware of the actual number...so like I knew cheese was pretty calorie dense (and I ate a lot of it) 'cuz it's basically fat...but I didn't really realize that the calorie amount was for one tiny little ounce.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    becky19_80 wrote: »
    Ive been scanning everything and cereals and cheese were way higher in calories then i thought.

Just want to point out, you've been *scanning* everything, but have you been *weighing* out the serving sizes? That's usually where the bigger shock comes from. Sadly, a 3/4 cup serving of cereal is not really 3/4 of a cup. :(
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    baked potato 105 plus a touch of butter 25
  • ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Tortilla wraps. I never gave it much thought until I compared them and bread; I always thought that wraps were a lower calorie option but they aren't really!

Not a tortilla but more of a flat bread... I've been working with "Flat Outs" for awhile to roll stuff for lunches. Anywhere from 90-130 cals per "sheet" (kinda a flat-sided oval shape; about 7x10 inches) depending on what variety you select. Their "Core 12" wraps have 12G of protein with 8g net-carbs for 130 cals -- not terrible at all, and available in Canadia too @Tacklewasher ! (link --> https://www.flatoutbread.com )

Recently discovered these and I'm a happy camper now!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bandbmc wrote: »
    One banana. 100 calories. When my daily allowance is 1200, that is painful...

I have bananas everyday in my smoothies but no longer have whole bananas - I use either a half or a third depending on how big it is. I store the unused banana cut side down on a small lid.
    I freeze halves, and then we use them in morning smoothies, makes it cold too. Double benefit
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Pastries :( Not that I didn't know they were high calorie, it's just impossible to find one now that fits into my day without having to skip a meal in exchange for it. And half of them are even higher than they first appear, as "1 serving" is only half the tiny item and it's 400-600 calories.

Oh, and my old favourite at A&W (lived near a small town and it was A&W or Subway only) is an entire days calories almost. And I was eating that at least once a week. No wonder going to the gym wasn't helping me, no matter how crazy I went on the cardio machines. Now my mozza burger combos are few and far between. Once every couple of months if I had a really good day for calorie burns.
  • gloriakeegan
    gloriakeegan Posts: 1 Member
    You can still have a Teen Burger in Canada and I believe that is around 500 calories. No fries or regular pop though.
  • Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    Mostly fruits. I expect high fat items like peanut butter mayo etc to be really high, but fruit really adds up for me in the summer. I kind of think of it as having very little but then I'm at 350c in fruit for the day and it'll put me over
  • Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Everything.

This :'(
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Green olives.

I eat pickles and olives pretty much non-stop and always loaded green olives onto pretty much anything except breakfast and dessert. I have a hard time remembering not to throw 25 olives on the side of rice and chicken, pizza, salad, pretty much everything. Now I just slam pickles and jerky for my salt tooth.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Green olives.

I eat pickles and olives pretty much non-stop and always loaded green olives onto pretty much anything except breakfast and dessert. I have a hard time remembering not to throw 25 olives on the side of rice and chicken, pizza, salad, pretty much everything. Now I just slam pickles and jerky for my salt tooth.

Oh yes! Olives were a big one too. I guess it shouldn't have been...I mean olive oil, but for some reason I didn't put two and two together.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yeah, olives are sadly high cal. Now I use picked veg or pepperoncini instead, often, but the amount of olives that work calorically for a salad or pasta dish or whatever is sad, and my old love of snacking on olives (and nuts and cheese) was disturbingly high cal.

Another not really a shock, because I've known it forever, but I think back as a teenager I had convinced myself that spinach dip was super healthy and probably low cal, because spinach. (Don't think I ever thought that about spinach stuffed pizza.)

On the other end, I was actually shocked (and remain a little skeptical) about how low Lou Malnati's cals are compared to what I would have expected (and it's way better than Uno's, which I cannot personally stand.)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

If I do that, I'm only having two meals that day - easy for me because I find those big burgers ridiculously filling - or I just finished a long run (in which case I'll be jonesing for onion rings and whatnot as well).

I was really pleased to discover that the best burger places in my area often have options like seared Ahi burgers. Love those, and they're much more doable calorie-wise. More in the 500-600 cal range.

Personally, I find many of the chain restaurants' reported dessert calories to be ridiculous. I know if I made the equivalent using my own recipes (that are not at all calorie conscious) and super premium ice cream if needed, mine would come out to 50-75% of theirs. And still be astronomical.

I can only assume that at some stage there's a nonsensical butter bath, or the portion size varies so widely that they have to report more than what a typical single serving would be.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    To be honest...the thing that shocks me the most is how much I used to eat - both in calories and volume - just a few months ago. And it was my second go-round - so I KNEW. What the heck was that?

Dairy Queen dinner

double cheeseburgers - 580 calories
    1 large onion rings - 360
    1 medium Blizzard - 1050

1,666 calories in ONE MEAL. (and I admit...sometimes I ate two burgers. :'( WTH was wrong with me?)
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Burger buns. 300-400 calories on average. Also a super easy way to cut 3-400 calories from your day.