Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I made an epic 17,000 calorie chocolate birthday cake a few weeks ago. Seeing how much butter, chocolate, sugar and cream went into it, I wasn't that surprised.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Starbucks hot chocolate without cream - 290
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    most of cheesecake factorys dishes

To be fair, they are HUGE.

But desserts. Making my own and entering the recipe just makes me cry. I made millionaire shortbread last year... 450 calories for a tiny square. Gosh.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    double_nn wrote: »
    Heavy cream. Obviously I knew it was calorie dense, but I intentionally never thought about how many servings were in the pasta sauces I'd make. I have one recipe where I was probably consuming 3/4-1 cup (with pasta!!!!)

Alfredo. *sigh* My from-scratch alfredo is one of my favorite things, but dang, it's calorific. I used to make a small batch of alfredo sauce and some garlic bread and just dip the bread in the sauce - skip the pasta. It was probably 2 days' worth of calories, right there by itself.

All of these low-cal tortilla options are fascinating to me. I may have to sneak some into my life. (If my dear mother-in-law saw any store-bought tortillas in the house, it would hurt her feelings).
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Baklava. And it's my favorite dessert on the planet. :'(
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I made an epic 17,000 calorie chocolate birthday cake a few weeks ago. Seeing how much butter, chocolate, sugar and cream went into it, I wasn't that surprised.

The same thing happened to me! I made my signature chocolate cake with buttercream for Easter and put it in the recipe builder. Each slice (and I planned on 12 slices) was over 900 calories!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?!?!?
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Falafel... which is stupid, I know how it's prepared. Whole Foods recently began posting calories next to each ingredient, I use to get 1 or 2 to add to my salad. 100 calories each!

As for the tortilla issue, mission makes wonderful street taco versions. The corn variety is 3 for 150 calories. The flower is like 2 for 180? I can't remember. But the perfect serving size to scratch your taco itch.

Serving sizes get me sometimes. Oh great, these chips are only 150 calories, for 9. hahaha. GTFOH!

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Oh. My. Yes.

There's a middle eastern market in the college town 30 minutes away that has the BEST baklava. Truly inspirational. My husband and I used to get it every single time we went to that town. The owner knows us on sight and when he sees us walking up, bags up some baklava.

We haven't had any in months. :'(

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »

Oh. My. Yes.

There's a middle eastern market in the college town 30 minutes away that has the BEST baklava. Truly inspirational. My husband and I used to get it every single time we went to that town. The owner knows us on sight and when he sees us walking up, bags up some baklava.

We haven't had any in months. :'(

I make homemade baklava. I don't even want to guess the calories. I used to make homemade Texas Pralines (chewy). They are my favorite, but I don't even want to put it in the recipe builder. Corn syrup, butter, sugar, pecans....
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    DD munchkins: 70 calories for one. ONE. :o
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Now I want baklava...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bandbmc wrote: »
    One banana. 100 calories. When my daily allowance is 1200, that is painful...

I have bananas everyday in my smoothies but no longer have whole bananas - I use either a half or a third depending on how big it is. I store the unused banana cut side down on a small lid.
    I freeze halves, and then we use them in morning smoothies, makes it cold too. Double benefit

Ya, when I needed to go food shopping less often I would freeze bananas for smoothies when they hit perfect ripeness. Now, I go a few times per week so can just buy a few bananas at a time.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah- Munchkins... I could eat a small box by myself in the car on road trips.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Another I'll add.. CEREAL. Even the healthy ones, once you weigh an actual serving size on the scale and realize how meager it is compared to what you're used to pouring in the bowl. Shocking.

That one bums me out. I just stopped eating cereal because I cannot eat one or 2 meager servings of my favorite sugary cereal. I did buy special k protein and if I get a cereal craving I will eat a serving of that and it does the trick for me.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Falafel... which is stupid, I know how it's prepared. Whole Foods recently began posting calories next to each ingredient, I use to get 1 or 2 to add to my salad. 100 calories each!

As for the tortilla issue, mission makes wonderful street taco versions. The corn variety is 3 for 150 calories. The flower is like 2 for 180? I can't remember. But the perfect serving size to scratch your taco itch.

Serving sizes get me sometimes. Oh great, these chips are only 150 calories, for 9. hahaha. GTFOH!

I even buy tortillas that are 3 for 100 calories or 4 for 130 calories and I get to eat more tacos. It works for me.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options

Nice, I bet it was delish.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Granola! Looks and tastes like it should be way less than it is, unfortunately I love it! For tortilla wraps in the UK try Skinni as these are 90 cals and are delicious :-)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    DD munchkins: 70 calories for one. ONE. :o

I refuse to believe that!!! (j/k, obviously ;) ). I moved away from Dunkin Donuts land and haven't had munchkins in nearly a year, but they will always be ~40 calories each in my fantasy world, where I don't want to admit how many of those I could polish off at once! (~5 munchkins = 1 donut = 200 cals, right? RIGHT?!?!? :P)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had less than a full banana at a time (I do intentionally buy small ones, though). I don't have them particularly often, but when I do I find it's easy enough to make the calories fit. They aren't any more than other fruits I might eat whole (like a pear). They usually would be the main carb source in a meal (besides vegetables) if I were eating one, however.

I guess this is me saying I didn't think they have shockingly high calories. They aren't like avocados, which I don't find shocking, but do usually eat half at a time.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was in the grocery store and spotted these tiny little chocolate tarts in the bakery. They were maybe 4 bites each. I thought I might be able to fit one in for dessert, so I checked the label. 350 calories each! Right back on the shelf they went.