Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Slice of bakery cake from a grocery store - 750 calories. Didn't realize until after I ate it :(
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Granola! The brand I have is 220 calories for 1/2 a cup! I ended up adding 1/8 of a cup to my yogurt, still more calories than I would have liked.

I used to add granola to my yogurt because I liked the crunch. Now I use a small bit of cereal (cheerios and fiber one are my favorites).
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Until I started adding foods on this app, I had no idea pasta had so many calories and salads in restaurants!! Opened my eyes!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nuts, avacado, cheese, peanut butter, banana. Certain breads. I bake my own bread now so I can actually eat it when I want it instead of having to plan my whole day around it.

Baking your own bread - how does that differ from store bought? I mean, I bake and I've baked bread - I love it. But I can't get my calories per slice down any lower than store bought and it tastes so darn much better I want it more! What do you do differently?

I think the number of calories in FLOUR is just shocking! 455 calories a CUP. THAT is why pastries of all descriptions are so fattening. (BTW - MFP's database is so wrong it's crazy. They show Aldi flour - which is still just flour - at 845 per cup. Can't something be done about that?)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    I think the number of calories in FLOUR is just shocking! 455 calories a CUP. THAT is why pastries of all descriptions are so fattening. (BTW - MFP's database is so wrong it's crazy. They show Aldi flour - which is still just flour - at 845 per cup. Can't something be done about that?)

Pastries tend to get about half their calories from carbs (flour plus sugar) and half from fat (often butter -- butter has about 1600+ calories per cup). The combination leads to something that is quite calorie dense for how light it often seems. Plus, something that may well be delicious and desirable in larger portions than is wise! ;-)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I found a red velvet whoopie pie in a bodega that was 590 calories for the whole thing.That was right up there with Little Debbie Cakes. And I used to eat those 2 at a time. Over half my day's calories in a snack. No wonder I was huge.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    ice cream can have a lot of calories for half a cup and i think some of ben and jerrys are shocking for half a cup.

I think it's shocking that anyone considers half a cup of ice cream to be an adequate serving size! :'(

i know right
  • delimanager640
    delimanager640 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really miss buffalo wings
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    dried fruit.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ice cream can have a lot of calories for half a cup and i think some of ben and jerrys are shocking for half a cup.

I think it's shocking that anyone considers half a cup of ice cream to be an adequate serving size! :'(

i know right

My Ben and Jerry 's lists a serving size of half a cup! I'm glad the laws around nutritional info are changing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Margaritas. :(
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also.. wine. Ok, not shocking. Just....... SO SAD! :'(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really think a half cup serving is quite sensible for ice cream. Now, if I eat it out of a pint I'll eat more, which is why that's not a good idea, and it might look tiny in a giant bowl, but if I use a small bowl and eat attentively, it's a really nice post dinner treat, and not unsatisfyingly small. Also, since I always read labels I always knew a serving size was supposed to be a quarter of a pint.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree on bananas, avocados, grapes, milk shake (even plain vanilla!), muffins or the lemon bread from Starbucks (so tasty!)

The muffins and lemon bread are no longer in my diet, but the plain milkshake makes it in occasionally. I also love Oreos and am actually pretty good at rationing them out so I only eat 2 at a time. I recently bought the lemon ones and the new blueberry pie ones. They were on sale, so I had to try the new blueberry pie ones, right?
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Nyquil!! I was really sick last Thanksgiving and didn't eat much but I was using almost a full bottle of dayquil and nyquil a day (total, not each) and if I can remember correctly, there was about 400+ calories in a bottle!! I now only take the pills if I need to
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really think a half cup serving is quite sensible for ice cream. Now, if I eat it out of a pint I'll eat more, which is why that's not a good idea, and it might look tiny in a giant bowl, but if I use a small bowl and eat attentively, it's a really nice post dinner treat, and not unsatisfyingly small. Also, since I always read labels I always knew a serving size was supposed to be a quarter of a pint.

I use a ramekin for ice cream. Then a half-cup serving is positively overflowing out of the "bowl". Psychology for the win! :smiley:

I use this "trick" too! Same amount of ice cream, but it's so much happier to look at.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I use a ramekin for ice cream. Then a half-cup serving is positively overflowing out of the "bowl". Psychology for the win! :smiley:

Using a ramekin is exactly what I do. Ice cream was one of the foods I was pleasantly surprised with when I started weighing instead of using measuring cups. 85-95 grams, which is the typical serving size of the brands that I eat, is way more than a half cup measure. For me, it's a satisfying portion.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I really miss buffalo wings

Hooters recently started doing smoked buffalo wings - they're half the calories, and they are incredibly good - way better than the fried ones.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nothing surprised me negatively. I've been aware of serving sizes and calorie counts since I was a teenager. I just ignored them and ate what I felt like. :smile:

As I said above, I found in weighing ice cream that a serving is more than a 1/2 cup measure. With peanut butter, I discovered that I had actually been overestimating the servings. I put more on my PB&J sandwiches now, but I can only handle 16-20 grams. A full 32 gram serving is way too much for me at one sitting.

I eat many a restaurant cheeseburger and most of them clock in at under 600 calories. I'm thinking it's because I don't eat mayonnaise or sauce/dressings on burgers.