Foods with shocking high cals

Replies

• MoreSteakLessSpice
    MoreSteakLessSpice Posts: 5 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Ketchup. One little packet is 20 calories.

20 cals? That's nothing. Well I guess it depends on how many calories you're working with.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Burger buns. 300-400 calories on average. Also a super easy way to cut 3-400 calories from your day.

Where do you buy buns that high? A Kaiser Roll is like 180.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Mostly fruits. I expect high fat items like peanut butter mayo etc to be really high, but fruit really adds up for me in the summer. I kind of think of it as having very little but then I'm at 350c in fruit for the day and it'll put me over

What fruit in particular? Apple, pineapple, strawberries, etc, are all very low calorie. They're mostly water and fiber. The only fruit's I stay away from are bananas and to an extent grapes.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

If I do that, I'm only having two meals that day - easy for me because I find those big burgers ridiculously filling - or I just finished a long run (in which case I'll be jonesing for onion rings and whatnot as well).

I was really pleased to discover that the best burger places in my area often have options like seared Ahi burgers. Love those, and they're much more doable calorie-wise. More in the 500-600 cal range.

Personally, I find many of the chain restaurants' reported dessert calories to be ridiculous. I know if I made the equivalent using my own recipes (that are not at all calorie conscious) and super premium ice cream if needed, mine would come out to 50-75% of theirs. And still be astronomical.

I can only assume that at some stage there's a nonsensical butter bath, or the portion size varies so widely that they have to report more than what a typical single serving would be.

I'm not so surprised by the desserts--I just assume there are ridiculous amounts of butter or some such involved. I make my grandma's rhubarb crisp recipe, and it is nearly 500 calories for just a very modest 3x3 inch piece...now double or triple that to a restaurant portion size, add a scoop of vanilla icing, top with some whipped heavy cream, and then heavily drizzle the whole thing with strawberry-rhubarb sauce....now we're talking some real g---d--- calories, as one poster put it above. :D

[excuse me while I wipe the drool off my shirt now...]
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    A half-chicken plate from Stripes. I used to eat that plate (which comes with a half-chicken, rice, beans, and 1 tortilla) at least 3 times a week because that was one of the only meals that could fill me up. 1600 CALORIES without the tortilla.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    To be honest...the thing that shocks me the most is how much I used to eat - both in calories and volume - just a few months ago. And it was my second go-round - so I KNEW. What the heck was that?

Dairy Queen dinner

double cheeseburgers - 580 calories
    1 large onion rings - 360
    1 medium Blizzard - 1050

1,666 calories in ONE MEAL. (and I admit...sometimes I ate two burgers. :'( WTH was wrong with me?)

Same here! I was truly oblivious and ignorant as to what I was eating and how many calories I was consuming.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    never had it or been there but cheesecake factories Fettucini Alfredo With Chicken has 3,209 calories and 87 g of fat it kinda shocked me cuz the pic makes the amount of food not look big enough to = that
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    i'm not shocked by it, but peanut butter calories make me a little sad :laugh:

Me too which is why the day I tried PB2 I heard angels singing!!
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    @princess0lexi -Cheesecake Factory has a SKINNYLICIOUS Menu that has some great stuff for under 600 calories!
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2017
    @princess0lexi -Cheesecake Factory has a SKINNYLICIOUS Menu that has some great stuff for under 600 calories!

ETA: Not sure why it posted twice??? Sorry!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    To be honest...the thing that shocks me the most is how much I used to eat - both in calories and volume - just a few months ago. And it was my second go-round - so I KNEW. What the heck was that?

Dairy Queen dinner

1 medium Blizzard - 1050

1,666 calories in ONE MEAL. (and I admit...sometimes I ate two burgers. :'( WTH was wrong with me?)

580+360+1050 is actually 1990 calories plus the obligatory ketchup for the onion rings, of course.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2017
    Chadxx wrote: »

Dairy Queen dinner

1 medium Blizzard - 1050

580+360+1050 is actually 1990 calories plus the obligatory ketchup for the onion rings, of course.

Pardon my math - I even used a calculator. :/

With that, the obligatory Diet Coke. (I like the taste better! ;) )
  • CovfefeCrunch
    CovfefeCrunch Posts: 3 Member
    Those delicious poppyseed muffins from Costco. Almost 700 calories in one muffin. I knew they weren't healthy, but I was shocked at the number of calories. I used to have one as a snack now and then.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Butter.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Baked potatoes. I always thought they were 100 calories. Not according to MFP.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Burger buns. 300-400 calories on average. Also a super easy way to cut 3-400 calories from your day.

Where do you buy buns that high? A Kaiser Roll is like 180.

Not it you put butter or mayo on it and grill it to a delicious, delicious crisp.