How disgusting is this...

Options

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    im fat. I am not a drain on anyone. I dont use health insurance (until Obamacare forces me to use a rip off industry just like car insurance). I dont have a handicapped plaquared, I dont have special things at work because of my size that the company paid for. When I needed a new chair, I purchased it. I pay for my own food.

For someone to assume that all fat people are a drain on society is simply ridiculous. As far as the author of the article being disgusting, nope. The OP may have a head full of himself and think everyone needs to be like him. We call those people *kitten*. OP, you sir are a *kitten*.

not having health care makes you a HUGE drain on the healthcare system. When people without insurance need a trip to the ER (which obese people are more likely to need) who do you think often ends up paying that bill? Tax Payers.

Or not have to go the ER. I havent been into a doctors office or the ER in over 20 years. I have a signed and notarized DNR. My wife is in the medical industry and can take care of any issue I have. I also have a medical bank account with quite enough money if something were ever to arise. No, I am not a drain on the medical industry.

You *were* 400 pounds and haven't been to a doctor in 20 years? Your wife is medical and is okay with this? Doesn't add up. Part of the idea of having insurance is that you are seen regularly, many health problems can be caught before they are too serious, thus saving everyone money.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

What is disgusting to me is the REASON she is choosing to be fat. She is not disgusting...being happy with your body is not disgusting...it's the fact that she is CHOOSING this for no other reason than because she can. Because it seems like a decision she can control. Doesn't sound to me like she is happy with her body. But like she has decided that her body is going to be this way so she can "shield herself in the armor of fat".

Of course, doctors treat fat people differently. It's wrong, and they don't understand what overweight people go through on a daily basis. No, it's not as simple as just "eating less". No one deserves to be a second class citizen based on any aspect of their appearance. For me, this isn't about how she looks, but how she thinks.

Just announcing one day that you don't believe you're eating to cover up pain inside doesn't make that true.

If you prefer the way you look at a heavier weight, your story is clearly different from this girl's. You're making a choice based on how you want to look. Not based on flipping the bird to society in general.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but that's basically how I feel about the author. It's not disgusting to me that she's overweight. It's not disgusting to me that she's choosing to be overweight. I'm not sure "disgusting" is even the right word. But I do find her attitude concerning.
    I have friends that are overweight and obese, and when we have conversations about my own choice to lose weight, I tell them that if they're truly happy with themselves, are mentally healthy, and feel good as they are, there's no reason they should feel like they have to conform to the pressures to lose weight or be thin.
    I didn't choose to lose weight because I hated myself at my heaviest, or because I thought being smaller would make me happier. I loved myself at 235 pounds, and I love myself now. I decided to lose weight because I wanted a fitter, stronger body and knees that didn't ache. I felt like I wasn't in control of my own body, and I didn't like that feeling. I wanted my body to represent the way I felt on the inside.

There are people who are truly happy at a heavier weight, and I'm fine with that. Being mentally healthy and happy with who you are is a great accomplishment, and it's one that people of all shapes and sizes struggle with. The biggest problem with the original article is that the author clearly has a lot of issues that extend beyond her weight, and she doesn't seem very happy with herself. It's not disgusting, but it is sad. Choose whatever body you want, but don't do it because you had a rough past or because the world made you mad or because you want to stage a rebellion. Do it because it's really what makes you happiest.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Wrong. If you don't have insurance hospitals and doctors will work with you and even offer you a payment plan so you can pay your bill. I have insurance for catastrophic purposes which means when I have to go to the doctor for something routine or because I am ill I tell them I have no insurance. Not once have I ever been refused to be seen because of that and trust me when I say they are MORE than happy to accept cash for payment. Not only that but the cost is probably less than what I would be paying if I had to go through insurance.

im pretty sure he's not talking about those who have no insurance and are able to play cash. he's talking about the vast amount of people w/o insurance who rack up bills and never pay/file bankruptcy.

So being obese immediately means that they can't afford to pay their hospital bill?

There are plenty of thin people who are a drain on society as well.
    I don't think that's what they were trying to say. Correct, people of all sizes are a drain on society, but when it comes down to health, it's been shown that obesity leads to many other health problems which can cause people to seek medical attention at a higher than normal rate. If those people can't pay their bill, that's when they become a drain on society. I think that's all they were getting at.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Wrong. If you don't have insurance hospitals and doctors will work with you and even offer you a payment plan so you can pay your bill. I have insurance for catastrophic purposes which means when I have to go to the doctor for something routine or because I am ill I tell them I have no insurance. Not once have I ever been refused to be seen because of that and trust me when I say they are MORE than happy to accept cash for payment. Not only that but the cost is probably less than what I would be paying if I had to go through insurance.

im pretty sure he's not talking about those who have no insurance and are able to play cash. he's talking about the vast amount of people w/o insurance who rack up bills and never pay/file bankruptcy.

So being obese immediately means that they can't afford to pay their hospital bill?

i believe obesity rates are higher among the poor. so i guess it does correlate but is not absolute.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This woman has mental health issues that she expresses and deals with through eating too much. Telling her she's "disgusting" for that isn't going to help her get healthy. A good health care professional would recognize and work with that rather than be rude and shame her.

But the point is, the mentality that she is healthy, and therefore, doesn't need treatment is what the OP finds disgusting.

And as I pointed out, that mentality would be disgusting if we were talking about alcoholics, manic-depressives, or anyone else with a mental health issue that choose to go without treatment.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    So what your saying is describing the author's self-destructive behavior as "disgusting" is somehow wrong and attributing to her problem.

I'm saying that most people in her situation and in the situation of a lot of other mental illnesses struggle with self-loathing. Using words like "disgusting" to describe them will absolutely add to that feeling of self-loathing.

Mental illness isn't something that people bring on themselves. There are so many contributing factors that it's almost impossible to sort it all out.

I wouldn't describe an alcoholic, as per your example, as disgusting. It's an illness that needs to be treated. Willfully not treating it is dangerous, it's frustrating, it's sad.

And you could, if you liked, apply all those same words to what this woman is doing. It's all of those things. But I don't think it's disgusting.

The actual disorders aren't "disgusting", but the actions taken and results of them can be. Alcoholics who drive drunk and hurt others. People with eating disorders who justify their habits to other impressionable people. Not treating either of these disorders is dangerous, frustrating, and sad. But going out and actively trying to convince others that it is acceptable, well, just isn't.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    And you could, if you liked, apply all those same words to what this woman is doing. It's all of those things. But I don't think it's disgusting.

Well the OP is entitled to the opinion that "disgusting" is the appropriate word.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

you made up an odd assumption since i was responding directly to a poster who admitted to not having insurance
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    im fat. I am not a drain on anyone. I dont use health insurance (until Obamacare forces me to use a rip off industry just like car insurance). I dont have a handicapped plaquared, I dont have special things at work because of my size that the company paid for. When I needed a new chair, I purchased it. I pay for my own food.

For someone to assume that all fat people are a drain on society is simply ridiculous. As far as the author of the article being disgusting, nope. The OP may have a head full of himself and think everyone needs to be like him. We call those people *kitten*. OP, you sir are a *kitten*.

not having health care makes you a HUGE drain on the healthcare system. When people without insurance need a trip to the ER (which obese people are more likely to need) who do you think often ends up paying that bill? Tax Payers.

Or not have to go the ER. I havent been into a doctors office or the ER in over 20 years. I have a signed and notarized DNR. My wife is in the medical industry and can take care of any issue I have. I also have a medical bank account with quite enough money if something were ever to arise. No, I am not a drain on the medical industry.

You *were* 400 pounds and haven't been to a doctor in 20 years? Your wife is medical and is okay with this? Doesn't add up. Part of the idea of having insurance is that you are seen regularly, many health problems can be caught before they are too serious, thus saving everyone money.

She was more concerned with me not doing heroin than with my weight. I was about 120 lbs when we met. Weight has never been an issue for her. And its not entirely about the weight number for me either. I just want to be able to get back to the things I enjoy. Hiking, camping, rowing, surfing. Things I did when i was younger and enjoyed a lot. If I could do them at my size now, 400 lbs wouldnt be an issue. But I can do to those things at my size. And again, since you didnt read, I have an account with plenty of money to cover any medical expenses if the need arise. In the passed 20 years, the need has not arisen. When I sprained my ankle last year, I did what any doctor would tell me to do. Rest it up, put on some ice and wear a brace. So I went and got a walking boot, iced a bunch and the ankle is 100 percent now. No trip to the doctor needed. You are throwing around a lot of assumptions without knowing anything about me based on your bias of fat people.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    So what your saying is describing the author's self-destructive behavior as "disgusting" is somehow wrong and attributing to her problem.

I'm saying that most people in her situation and in the situation of a lot of other mental illnesses struggle with self-loathing. Using words like "disgusting" to describe them will absolutely add to that feeling of self-loathing.

Mental illness isn't something that people bring on themselves. There are so many contributing factors that it's almost impossible to sort it all out.

I wouldn't describe an alcoholic, as per your example, as disgusting. It's an illness that needs to be treated. Willfully not treating it is dangerous, it's frustrating, it's sad.

The actual disorders aren't "disgusting", but the actions taken and results of them can be. Alcoholics who drive drunk and hurt others. People with eating disorders who justify their habits to other impressionable people. Not treating either of these disorders is dangerous, frustrating, and sad. But going out and actively trying to convince others that it is acceptable, well, just isn't.

But isn't that the point of the article? To convince people that it is okay for her to not treat her eating disorder just because she is healthy and comfortable with her appearance. Doesn't that, in turn, imply that the readers can make the same "dangerous, frustrating, and sad" excuse if they choose to.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The title says it all. She doesn't choose to be fat because she's happy with with how she looks but because it's her "armor" from her emotional problems. I don't find it disgusting but I do find it disturbing that she's using her weight as a crutch to lean on instead of focusing on her obvious mental problems.I don't view the medical professionals behaviour as bullying either.They are just telling her the truth,I mean what doctor is going to tell a morbidly obese person that it is ok to keep that many extra pounds on your body.

I do find that eating disorders are a very difficult thing to treat. When you treat something like alcoholism,drug addiction ,the common thing is to tell them to completely abstain from from those substances in order to get better.You can't live without food on the other hand...

I've struggled with emotional eating and when I was in my teens I was borderline anorexic/bulimic.I found it nearly impossible to lose weight in a healthy way and stick with it until I fixed the mental issues I had first.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    could someone answer my question as to why pro anorexic posts are banned here but pro obesity posts are not? both are extremely unhealthy.

we shouldnt attack either group and should strive to help them but if one isnt allowed then neither should be.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Coming in late, but I too am appauled OP is going to be a P.A. (I have been in the healthcare industry for 20 years)
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    could someone answer my question as to why pro anorexic posts are banned here but pro obesity posts are not? both are extremely unhealthy.

we shouldnt attack either group and should strive to help them but if one isnt allowed then neither should be.
    The correlation to anorexia would not be obesity; it would be pro-feeder threads or pro-compulsive/continued binging threads.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

She was more concerned with me not doing heroin than with my weight. I was about 120 lbs when we met. Weight has never been an issue for her. And its not entirely about the weight number for me either. I just want to be able to get back to the things I enjoy. Hiking, camping, rowing, surfing. Things I did when i was younger and enjoyed a lot. If I could do them at my size now, 400 lbs wouldnt be an issue. But I can do to those things at my size. And again, since you didnt read, I have an account with plenty of money to cover any medical expenses if the need arise. In the passed 20 years, the need has not arisen. When I sprained my ankle last year, I did what any doctor would tell me to do. Rest it up, put on some ice and wear a brace. So I went and got a walking boot, iced a bunch and the ankle is 100 percent now. No trip to the doctor needed. You are throwing around a lot of assumptions without knowing anything about me based on your bias of fat people.

i assume you know what open heart surgery cost.... how about EVH? or how much a single cath angiogram cost.... or stents... plavix... how about 3 weeks in a icu sedated on propofol cause you had an event?

i could go on for days and i am doubting you have all in your rainy days savings account to cover that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This is not pro-obesity. and if you don't understand the debate here or the difference between anorexia and obesity, no one can really help you.
  • KatLifter
    Options

I don't have a bias against fat people - you are projecting this. Did you even read what I wrote? I work in public health, so I have a bias against people who don't take care of themselves. I only mention your weight because there are many chronic diseases that go along with obesity that can only be seen by visiting a doctor, such as high cholesterol that can lead to heart disease and high blood sugar that can lead to diabetes. Regular checkups are encouraged because they help people. Prevention saves lives and money.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Coming in late, but I too am appauled OP is going to be a P.A. (I have been in the healthcare industry for 20 years)

you read the whole thread? please explain your concerns

I don't need to read the entire thread to have my opinion of you. And I do not owe you any explanation of my feelings.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

you read the whole thread? please explain your concerns

I don't need to read the entire thread to have my opinion of you. And I do not owe you any explanation of my feelings.

.... ok