My FITNESS Pal, Keyword is FITNESS

Options

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like to highlight the following as what I think is the most typical thread on the site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057191-runners-questions-from-a-beginner

Hi I'm interested in X but I need suggestions about X.
    Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!
    Great going, I tried this thing and loved it.

I never see in those threads anyone trashing anyone else.

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

So, I haven't been here *that* long, but I can honestly say that I don't see this happening very often. Every once in awhile, someone will be a tool about lifting heavy vs. cardio, but most of the time, posters are just encouraging it because the OP is worried about how their body looks. It's not rocket science to say that lifting heavy increases LBM and creates a more shapely body. Most often, I don't see people saying "Screw cardio! Only do lifting!" They are just encouraging people who aren't lifting to include it in their routine. It's pretty innocuous, actually, not to mention generally helpful.

But I do hear people accuse people of saying screw lifting only do cardio if they say they don't lift heavy. This isn't everyone. There are some very helpful people on MFP. Like you, I agree that both strength and cardio work best together. But I posted last night lifting heavy is one of many options and that my program is metabolic resistance training and running, several people interpreted that as I only do cardio and am promoting cardio and against lifting. Encouraging and informing is good, its great actually. But if you say you do something other than traditional weight training, how does that translate to weight training is bad. Who is saying that? That is where the lack of respect and support comes from. When people dismiss your journey because it does not mirror theirs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Truly didn't know I was breaking the rules. I shall delete this account when I end this reply, and just use the one account. See, I learned something. But I am not the OP, she is younger than my daughter, so we couldn't be the same. Her age is 34 and mine is 63. Good night all. Deleting account now.

Check with the mods first as it is not clear.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary thread is unnecessary.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I lied earlier. I don't have 5000 posts on this site. I have over 8000. And I'd bet 90% of them are about fitness and exercise. So if you're posting on F&E or about F&E, I've probably seen it and responded to it. 8000 posts by me and you take 3 posts personally and act as if I'm making a special case against you? You have 500+ posts. I've responded to THREE of them.

CPDLQ3e.gif

This is true. I shamefully admit that I've creeped his previous post history.

Is it true what they say?....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would like to highlight the following as what I think is the most typical thread on the site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057191-runners-questions-from-a-beginner

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it. Oh food can cause a lot of conflict too. The eat your exercise calories back vs not eating your exercise calories back vs eat clean vs eat what I want vs whatever. I say let's all be the best we can be, and understand my goals and yours may not be the same. I think there would be a lot less trash talk if that was more prevalent on the main forum.

Asking runners for running advice is very very different than someone asking about losing weight and 'toning' (twitch) for example.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

So, I haven't been here *that* long, but I can honestly say that I don't see this happening very often. Every once in awhile, someone will be a tool about lifting heavy vs. cardio, but most of the time, posters are just encouraging it because the OP is worried about how their body looks. It's not rocket science to say that lifting heavy increases LBM and creates a more shapely body. Most often, I don't see people saying "Screw cardio! Only do lifting!" They are just encouraging people who aren't lifting to include it in their routine. It's pretty innocuous, actually, not to mention generally helpful.

But I do hear people accuse people of saying screw lifting only do cardio if they say they don't lift heavy. This isn't everyone. There are some very helpful people on MFP. Like you, I agree that both strength and cardio work best together. But I posted last night lifting heavy is one of many options and that my program is metabolic resistance training and running, several people interpreted that as I only do cardio and am promoting cardio and against lifting. Encouraging and informing is good, its great actually. But if you say you do something other than traditional weight training, how does that translate to weight training is bad. Who is saying that? That is where the lack of respect and support comes from. When people dismiss your journey because it does not mirror theirs.

That is NOT what that post was about. I am sorry, but you are being disingenuous.
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Troll much!?
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

That is NOT what that post was about. I am sorry, but you are being disingenuous.

I started the post, I think I know what it is about. If you look at the original post you will see it is very similar to what is said here. If you read my post from last night I echoed these very sentiments. I'm not disingenuous. I'm voicing my displeasure with a climate perpetuated by a minority of MFP members that criticize, demeans or insults anyone who says they don't lift heavy. Some say that climate doesn't exist, but the 8+ pages of posts seem to prove I'm right. .
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it. Oh food can cause a lot of conflict too. The eat your exercise calories back vs not eating your exercise calories back vs eat clean vs eat what I want vs whatever. I say let's all be the best we can be, and understand my goals and yours may not be the same. I think there would be a lot less trash talk if that was more prevalent on the main forum.

Actually, I agree with this. And it's not just asking for running advice. You also get questions about cross training, whether you should lift and why is eating a dietary requirement. It nice to be able to answer these questions in the shared context of fitness, avoiding injury and going faster and farther.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I started the post, I think I know what it is about. If you look at the original post you will see it is very similar to what is said here. If you read my post from last night I echoed these very sentiments. I'm not disingenuous. I'm voicing my displeasure with a climate perpetuated by a minority of MFP members that criticize, demeans or insults anyone who says they don't lift heavy. Some say that climate doesn't exist, but the 8+ pages of posts seem to prove I'm right. .

I read the post. It is still not the whole story.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I have not seen any demeaning here. Only frustration at what seems to be repeated attempts to flame bait.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

At least you finally got your 500 response thread. :laugh:
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I read the post. It is still not the whole story.

Well I don't know what you see. Please enlighten me. I have been clear and my stance has not changed or faltered in this discussion.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I suspect you are seeing exactly what you want to see.

Even in this conclusion of yours, it is very different from mine.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

Actually, I agree with this. And it's not just asking for running advice. You also get questions about cross training, whether you should lift and why is eating a dietary requirement. It nice to be able to answer these questions in the shared context of fitness, avoiding injury and going faster and farther.

MFP Groups are Great!!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I lied earlier. I don't have 5000 posts on this site. I have over 8000. And I'd bet 90% of them are about fitness and exercise. So if you're posting on F&E or about F&E, I've probably seen it and responded to it. 8000 posts by me and you take 3 posts personally and act as if I'm making a special case against you? You have 500+ posts. I've responded to THREE of them.

CPDLQ3e.gif

if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.....
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I could give a rats *kitten* what you do...

From a fitness standpoint, any fitness regimen worth it's salt is going to have aspects of both cardio and resistance work. You really can't be a truly fit individual without both.

You don't care about what routine is, I respect that. I do agree that a fitness routine should be both cardio and resistance work. I just think some MFPers criticize anyone who doesn't do certain resistance routines or push the same routines regardless of that person's goals. I wish everyone would agree with your statement about fitness regimens and then there would be a lot less judgment.

Holy crap are you serious? Why don't you send private messages to the people that you're whining about, or report them, rather than start thread after thread complaining about free advice on the Internet? Jesus!

I feel like its old english time again.

You have smited me for the last time ye vixen. I challenge thee to a duel!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8EfvZq7NB2_48fpBmsp59Jy-E4okrKO0OGV1COzt2X6BYnaX8

**Thou hast smitten
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

CPDLQ3e.gif

if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.....

EAT IT!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know what you see. Please enlighten me. I have been clear and my stance has not changed or faltered in this discussion.

therein lies the problem. no matter what facts are presented to you, your stance does not change nor falter. doesn't matter if they are presented in a rude, bullying way or a polite, open minded way, you just stand your ground and keep repeating the same things.

Being stubborn is a flaw, not a feature.
  • courtneyemilyy
    Options
    dAUPUYQ.gif

hahaah THANK-YOU , guys just let it go! Do what works for you and honestly, its an online program, if you don't like what someone said, turn off the screen or exit the page I don't get why people are getting so worked up!