My FITNESS Pal, Keyword is FITNESS

Options

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Truly didn't know I was breaking the rules. I shall delete this account when I end this reply, and just use the one account. See, I learned something. But I am not the OP, she is younger than my daughter, so we couldn't be the same. Her age is 34 and mine is 63. Good night all. Deleting account now.

Check with the mods first as it is not clear.

Thanks so much, and no it is not clear. I was only counting food and exercise but I just went on and deleted it.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like to highlight the following as what I think is the most typical thread on the site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057191-runners-questions-from-a-beginner

Hi I'm interested in X but I need suggestions about X.
    Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!
    Great going, I tried this thing and loved it.

I never see in those threads anyone trashing anyone else.

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

So, I haven't been here *that* long, but I can honestly say that I don't see this happening very often. Every once in awhile, someone will be a tool about lifting heavy vs. cardio, but most of the time, posters are just encouraging it because the OP is worried about how their body looks. It's not rocket science to say that lifting heavy increases LBM and creates a more shapely body. Most often, I don't see people saying "Screw cardio! Only do lifting!" They are just encouraging people who aren't lifting to include it in their routine. It's pretty innocuous, actually, not to mention generally helpful.

But I do hear people accuse people of saying screw lifting only do cardio if they say they don't lift heavy. This isn't everyone. There are some very helpful people on MFP. Like you, I agree that both strength and cardio work best together. But I posted last night lifting heavy is one of many options and that my program is metabolic resistance training and running, several people interpreted that as I only do cardio and am promoting cardio and against lifting. Encouraging and informing is good, its great actually. But if you say you do something other than traditional weight training, how does that translate to weight training is bad. Who is saying that? That is where the lack of respect and support comes from. When people dismiss your journey because it does not mirror theirs.

That is NOT what that post was about. I am sorry, but you are being disingenuous.

I started the post, I think I know what it is about. If you look at the original post you will see it is very similar to what is said here. If you read my post from last night I echoed these very sentiments. I'm not disingenuous. I'm voicing my displeasure with a climate perpetuated by a minority of MFP members that criticize, demeans or insults anyone who says they don't lift heavy. Some say that climate doesn't exist, but the 8+ pages of posts seem to prove I'm right. .

I suspect you are seeing exactly what you want to see.

Even in this conclusion of yours, it is very different from mine.

I see clearly. I see a post that says I respect the all strength training programs and we should respect each others journeys that we have 8+ pages of people arguing with that. I posted last night that goals should factor into what strength training program and while no one could dismiss the merits of the post and many actually agreed with it, a select group decided to discredit me personally just because the idea there is room for all of us on MFP is too controversial or uncomfortable. If there is another conclusion to draw, please enlighten me.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I would like to highlight the following as what I think is the most typical thread on the site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057191-runners-questions-from-a-beginner

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I find runners very supportive on MFP and anyone looking for advice would get good advice and no judgement. The running groups are great too. I think the trashing starts whenever strength training is mentioned. Sometimes people even trash people who are agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

So, I haven't been here *that* long, but I can honestly say that I don't see this happening very often. Every once in awhile, someone will be a tool about lifting heavy vs. cardio, but most of the time, posters are just encouraging it because the OP is worried about how their body looks. It's not rocket science to say that lifting heavy increases LBM and creates a more shapely body. Most often, I don't see people saying "Screw cardio! Only do lifting!" They are just encouraging people who aren't lifting to include it in their routine. It's pretty innocuous, actually, not to mention generally helpful.

But I do hear people accuse people of saying screw lifting only do cardio if they say they don't lift heavy. This isn't everyone. There are some very helpful people on MFP. Like you, I agree that both strength and cardio work best together. But I posted last night lifting heavy is one of many options and that my program is metabolic resistance training and running, several people interpreted that as I only do cardio and am promoting cardio and against lifting. Encouraging and informing is good, its great actually. But if you say you do something other than traditional weight training, how does that translate to weight training is bad. Who is saying that? That is where the lack of respect and support comes from. When people dismiss your journey because it does not mirror theirs.

That is NOT what that post was about. I am sorry, but you are being disingenuous.

I started the post, I think I know what it is about. If you look at the original post you will see it is very similar to what is said here. If you read my post from last night I echoed these very sentiments. I'm not disingenuous. I'm voicing my displeasure with a climate perpetuated by a minority of MFP members that criticize, demeans or insults anyone who says they don't lift heavy. Some say that climate doesn't exist, but the 8+ pages of posts seem to prove I'm right. .

OP...you are right..alot of people do know what you are trying to convey in regards to this and are reading but can't be bothered responding/defending or whatever. They've seen enough to know it is pointless. However, as another poster said, find those you can relate to...mentors, posts you enjoy reading etc. Usually they have the same information but the way in which they explain it is with far more patience/tolerance and generally an acceptance that there are always new people starting and they may have to repeat themselves over and over...but they accept that and remain inspiring. Their ego is parked at the door.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1047962-90-minute-q-a-all-fitness-and-weight-loss-related-please

This is one such poster. Same adaptive information but thoroughly and patiently explained. I think you would appreciate it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have over 10,000 posts now. I'd say 15% of them are helpful.

Bwahahahahaha

Enjoy your cookie.
    oreo_zps9bd2ea27.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I read the post. It is still not the whole story.

Well I don't know what you see. Please enlighten me. I have been clear and my stance has not changed or faltered in this discussion.

I am talking about your explanation of the prior thread.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Um... What?

I lift. I also do cardio, ride horses and pole dance.

I know where you can do all of that at the same time.

carousel-2.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

OP...you are right..alot of people do know what you are trying to convey in regards to this and are reading but can't be bothered responding/defending or whatever. They've seen enough to know it is pointless. However, as another poster said, find those you can relate to...mentors, posts you enjoy reading etc. Usually they have the same information but the way in which they explain it is with far more patience/tolerance and generally an acceptance that there are always new people starting and they may have to repeat themselves over and over...but they accept that and remain inspiring. Their ego is parked at the door.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1047962-90-minute-q-a-all-fitness-and-weight-loss-related-please

This is one such poster. Same adaptive information but thoroughly and patiently explained. I think you would appreciate it.

There are some great people on MFP who are supportive and very helpful. Thanks for highlighting that you can treat others with respect and inspire at the same time. Those are the people that keep me from deleting my account. The others who I believe represent a small minority make this place less inviting.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Truly didn't know I was breaking the rules. I shall delete this account when I end this reply, and just use the one account. See, I learned something. But I am not the OP, she is younger than my daughter, so we couldn't be the same. Her age is 34 and mine is 63. Good night all. Deleting account now.

Check with the mods first as it is not clear.

Thanks so much, and no it is not clear. I was only counting food and exercise but I just went on and deleted it.

:huh: Excuse me ma'am I don't mean to be disrespectful but don't you think you should have deleted the one with the friends. Not the one with the foods and exercise diary entries? Maybe email the mods and let them know you found out you weren't supposed to have two and mistakenly deleted the wrong one.

Then you can refriend your former friends with your diaries intact.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

We do need more of this. However, I have to say that the response you get has a lot to do with how you ask,
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

Well I don't know what you see. Please enlighten me. I have been clear and my stance has not changed or faltered in this discussion.

I spent quite a bit of time and research trying to revamp my routine. I took all the advice given to me on this site and others and decided to look into things like Starting Strength and Stronglifts which were mentioned frequently. I looked at all the testimonials and success stories and you can't deny they work, but I also took into account the negatives mentioned. I decided that neither program was best for my current goals, but may be just what I need as my goals change or evolve. I saw a lot of emphasis placed on goals on websites like bodybuilding.com and you don't see that stressed that much here. It had nothing to do with my squats post from a month ago, though one poster made sure to post a link to that and say "I had my azz handed to me." and that I am somehow anti-lifting. Whatever.

So really I was just sharing. No agenda. I wanted to say that I think goals should factor when you are choosing which option you want to incorporate in your routine. Lifting heavy is one of many options, find what works best for you. And let's not judge those who choose an alternate path. Now that topic was closed before I had an opportunity to respond, but somehow it was turned into don't lift weights, just do cardio and be skinny fat . I don't know how anyone can read what I wrote and get that impression, but I guess even when the words are right in front of you, the message can get lost.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I spent quite a bit of time and research trying to revamp my routine. I took all the advice given to me on this site and others and decided to look into things like Starting Strength and Stronglifts which were mentioned frequently. I looked at all the testimonials and success stories and you can't deny they work, but I also took into account the negatives mentioned. I decided that neither program was best for my current goals, but may be just what I need as my goals change or evolve. I saw a lot of emphasis placed on goals on websites like bodybuilding.com and you don't see that stressed that much here. It had nothing to do with my squats post from a month ago, though one poster made sure to post a link to that and say "I had my azz handed to me." and that I am somehow anti-lifting. Whatever.

So really I was just sharing. No agenda. I wanted to say that I think goals should factor when you are choosing which option you want to incorporate in your routine. Lifting heavy is one of many options, find what works best for you. And let's not judge those who choose an alternate path. Now that topic was closed before I had an opportunity to respond, but somehow it was turned into don't lift weights, just do cardio and be skinny fat . I don't know how anyone can read what I wrote and get that impression, but I guess even when the words are right in front of you, the message can get lost.

You must be talking about a different thread as that is not the tone of the one I read and is missing out a lot of the tone and commentary.

And please do not imply that I lack reading comprehension.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

You must be talking about a different thread as that is not the tone of the one I read and is missing out a lot of the tone and commentary..

You may not have cared for my tone. My goal wasn't to offend you or anyone else. Some people thought that post was right on the mark, others didn't care for it, that is fine. Now do you have a problem with the tone or the message? I do get that good arguments or advice can be hard to swallow when wrapped in a bitter pill. So the delivery matters. If I failed at that, I get it, my bad. Some of the MFP members who I am complaining about may not intend to insult or criticize, but they do. So maybe I am just as guilty. I do own up to my errors and mistakes though. Ultimately, I would like to see the same positivity, support and camaraderie you see in the groups on the main boards. I would like to see someone say I don't lift heavy and not have the vultures swoop in.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

I see clearly. I see a post that says I respect the all strength training programs and we should respect each others journeys that we have 8+ pages of people arguing with that. I posted last night that goals should factor into what strength training program and while no one could dismiss the merits of the post and many actually agreed with it, a select group decided to discredit me personally just because the idea there is room for all of us on MFP is too controversial or uncomfortable. If there is another conclusion to draw, please enlighten me.

It's been said many times before in this thread and the ones before it by many people. I'm disinclined to explain it yet again because I don't believe it will accomplish anything. We just see it differently.
    There are some great people on MFP who are supportive and very helpful. Thanks for highlighting that you can treat others with respect and inspire at the same time. Those are the people that keep me from deleting my account. The others who I believe represent a small minority make this place less inviting.

Clearly you and I are here for two very different reasons.

Even if the entire MFP user base were to challenge my every post in the forums...

...I would not delete my account here. People agreeing or disagreeing with me in the forums is not why I have an MFP account. MFP is a tool that I use to accomplish my goals.

Best of luck to you in accomplishing whatever your goals are here.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

It's been said many times before in this thread and the ones before it by many people. I'm disinclined to explain it yet again because I don't believe it will accomplish anything. We just see it differently.

Clearly you and I are here for two very different reasons.

Even if the entire MFP user base were to challenge my every post in the forums...

...I would not delete my account here. People agreeing or disagreeing with me in the forums is not why I have an MFP account. MFP is a tool that I use to accomplish my goals.

Best of luck to you in accomplishing whatever your goals are here.

I respect that we may be here for different reasons. I can log my food on many sites/apps including MFP, Sparkpeople, daily plate, FitDay and Weight Watchers. So the climate matters to me because if I don't like it, I can go elsewhere to meet my fitness goals. There some great folks that keep me coming back and there are some others that make me want to stay away. Fortunately the latter are in the minority. So I will keep moving forward and I hope you do too. Good luck to your an your goals as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay, here is mine.
    Here's my suggestion!

You must be talking about a different thread as that is not the tone of the one I read and is missing out a lot of the tone and commentary..

You may not have cared for my tone. My goal wasn't to offend you or anyone else. Some people thought that post was right on the mark, others didn't care for it, that is fine. Now do you have a problem with the tone or the message? I do get that good arguments or advice can be hard to swallow when wrapped in a bitter pill. So the delivery matters. If I failed at that, I get it, my bad. Some of the MFP members who I am complaining about may not intend to insult or criticize, but they do. So maybe I am just as guilty. I do own up to my errors and mistakes though. Ultimately, I would like to see the same positivity, support and camaraderie you see in the groups on the main boards. I would like to see someone say I don't lift heavy and not have the vultures swoop in.

Both to be honest.

My read, and I had no skin in the game, was that you were annoyed at people promoting heavy lifting all the time and seemed to tarnish everyone with the same brush in that it was done without regard to goals and implied that people continually disparaged other forms of training.

As I explained in that post, progressive strength training is important to retention of LBM. THAT is why it is recommended and not necessarily for gaining significant strength or trying to be a body builder as you implied in your OP. Now, the programs often recommended are ones that are effective/efficient at doing that. They are very commonly used so there is a lot of support on here for questions, they are well laid out and they include progressive loading. However, I have also seen, and often recommend it myself, programs like Convict Conditioning or YAYOG when someone either does not have access to a gym or do not want to do heavy compound work. I cannot recall anyone saying that you will look bad if you do not use those exact programs.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Both to be honest.

My read, and I had no skin in the game, was that you were annoyed at people promoting heavy lifting all the time and seemed to tarnish everyone with the same brush in that it was done without regard to goals and implied that people continually disparaged other forms of training.

As I explained in that post, progressive strength training is important to retention of LBM. THAT is why it is recommended and not necessarily for gaining significant strength or trying to be a body builder as you implied in your OP. Now, the programs often recommended are ones that are effective/efficient at doing that. They are very commonly used so there is a lot of support on here for questions, they are well laid out and they include progressive loading. However, I have also seen, and often recommend it myself, programs like Convict Conditioning or YAYOG when someone either does not have access to a gym or do not want to do heavy compound work. I cannot recall anyone saying that you will look bad if you do not use those exact programs.
    [/quote]

I think for the most part we agree. As for the first part of your post, yep I do think there is small group on MFP who does that and yes it does annoys me. However, that wasn't the primary reason for my post. .
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Both to be honest.

I think for the most part we agree. As for the first part of your post, yep I do think there is small group on MFP who does that and yes it does annoys me. However, that wasn't the primary reason for my post. .

I'd love to see a list of names in this "small group". I'd settle for a reference to even one post where this has happened...(not that just one example would validate the claim of it being an epidemic like you make it sound). It would certainly help your argument if you could provide actual examples instead of just rhetoric and inferences.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you need to lift heavy **** otherwise you will be weak.

Does that help your cause OP?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So the primary reason for her post was to inform us the the F I'm MFP stood for FITNESS? The OP had to make two threads today for that? Her use of all cap words in both threads really seemed to be an attempt to call people out.

But I guess that's just perception, huh?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So the primary reason for her post was to inform us the the F I'm MFP stood for FITNESS? The OP had to make two threads today for that? Her use of all cap words in both threads really seemed to be an attempt to call people out.

But I guess that's just perception, huh?

Well, I'm definitely taking it that way. Seems like a topic created just to bait those that would disagree to speak out and be labeled bullies, trolls, etc.