• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---6.38
    2---4.25
    4---2.90 +2.21 =5.11
    8---3.37
    12---2.90
    14---3.58 Little behind schedule but today is 4 weeks "less running" so, maybe I can catch up to make goal.

25.59/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:11  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Between all the range these replies cover, I think I'm starting to understand! :smiley:

Good! :smiley:

This comment is interesting:
    To really improve fat burning efficiency, you would need to run until glycogen is depleted, 1.5 to 2 hours, and not top up with sugars, or by running without having eaten beforehand.

Only cause I would say I do not worry about fuel when "only" running around an hour and a half or so. It is when I plan to push into longer times that I start to plan for fuel. Never really thought about how I came up with that measure, it is just how it worked itself out naturally.

@PastorVincent Ditto! :) I've done a slow 22 km without fuel and was fine.

Then the next time I tried it, I ran fast, and bonked. Proof of what I'm learning about speed and glycogen and fat! I needed to replenish the glycogen for faster runs.
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @Orphia looking at training suggestions for marathons. They suggest on early training runs to run long runs fasted, no fuel regardless of time. This will cause you to go into glycogen depletion and your body will be forced to burn fat. On long runs within 3-4 weeks of your race run fueled which will teach your body to accept and process fuel while running. Getting the combination right is extremely difficult , that's why even Stan and Moby will tell you they are still figuring it out. The one thing most will agree on is that this fuel burning element is a key component to a good marathon.

Well said, @cburke8909
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @garygse - Congrats on the new job!

Met the running group at the track this morning for speed work..... in my new shoes! :smiley:

hi5l2exv1ouy.jpg

(July miles to date) 80/170 (July goal miles)

Those look like my shoes!

I have the V880s. Same shoes?
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    July goal 100 miles

July 1.........4.1 miles..........MTD 4.1
    July 2.........3.0 miles......... MTD 7.1
    July 3.........5.0 miles..........MTD 12.1
    July 4.........Rest Day..........MTD 12.1
    July 5.........8.5 miles..........MTD 20.6
    July 6.........3.1 miles..........MTD 23.7
    July 7.........3.5 miles..........MTD 27.2
    July 8.........Rest day..........MTD 27.2
    July 9.........8.5 miles.........MTD 35.7
    July 10.......3.5 miles.........MTD 39.2
    July 11.......8.0 miles.........MTD 47.2
    July 12.......3.2 miles.........MTD 50.4
    July 13.......Rest day..........MTD 50.4
    July 14.......6.3 miles.........MTD 56.7

Hot muggy just plain nasty weather for this run. I bought a 2 liter camelback and I had emptied it around the 5 mile mark. The dog days of summer are definitely here. Stay safe everyone.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @Orphia looking at training suggestions for marathons. They suggest on early training runs to run long runs fasted, no fuel regardless of time. This will cause you to go into glycogen depletion and your body will be forced to burn fat. On long runs within 3-4 weeks of your race run fueled which will teach your body to accept and process fuel while running. Getting the combination right is extremely difficult, that's why even Stan and Moby will tell you they are still figuring it out. The one thing most will agree on is that this fuel burning element is a key component to a good marathon.

Well said, @cburke8909

I should try some longer runs with out fuel, but I do not eat nearly enough to tip the balance. I mean If I eat 100ish calories an hour, but am burning more like 400-500 an hour (6.5mph pace), then I am still cutting through the glycogen and have to be into fat.

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 14 – 7.0 miles Interval run
    Total: 61.25/100 miles

It’s Fartlek Friday! Intervals were 200m, 400m, 800m, 800m, 400m, and 200m at race pace. Dang, those were hard!

Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Totally disturbed my running mate afterward when I went to K-Tape my left foot and three of my toenails just came off. Poor lady haha :dizzy:

@JessicaMcB I remember the last time I lost a Toe Nail, dropped a block of wood on my foot at a campground while wearing Sandals. The real issue was before the old Toe nail came off the new one started to grow in underneath it and trapped a piece of skin between the old and new Toe nail. Which made for a very uncomfortable situation as the new Toe Nail started pushing through the skin. So the lesson for me was to watch the new Toe Nail carefully and make sure it is not trapped under a layer of skin.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)

7/1 3.75
    7/2 3.52
    7/3 rest
    7/4 3.26
    7/5 5.18
    7/6 snorkel 3.5 hours
    7/7 3.40
    7/8 6.00
    7/9 anniversary wine and dine
    7/10 4.23
    7/11 3.25
    7/12 rest
    7/13 4.88
    7/14 3.25

Total 40.72

@_nikkiwolf_ Joyeux jour de bastille
    @skippygirlsmom I have in the past prescribed niacin with some good results for vertigo
    just a shoutout to @7lenny7 (I know he said he was going to take a break, but I'm jonesing a Kody report...) and @WhatMeRunning : hope all is well with both of you
    @MNLittleFinn have a great time tomorrow!
    @all of you with sport bra problems: compression camisole (shapewear).....pull the straps down and over your hips...done!
    @Elise4270 ...haven't heard anything about the violin lately...
    @RespectTheKitty take care of yourself while moving.....that's invariably when I injure myself: lifting things I don't normally lift
    @PastorVincent : on my monitor it looks like the rabbit's eyes are glowing...

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    July goal: 55 miles

7/2: 4.3 miles
    7/3: 3.7 miles
    7/4: 3.8 miles
    7/5: 2.3 miles
    7/9: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 2.5 miles
    7/12: 2.8 miles

23.9/55 miles

It was even hotter today than yesterday. I expected to have a slow, miserable run. I was pleasantly surprised that I had a great run. I enjoyed almost all of it. The last .8 miles kind of sucked, but the first part was great and I ran a little faster than I have been averaging lately. I considered not running because of the heat, but I'm glad I did it. I have to drive my mom to Dallas tomorrow (a 2.5 hour drive) for a doctor's appointment so I won't be able to get a run tomorrow. Besides, it is July in Texas. It will either be hot or miserably hot so I figure I might as well just get it done. It did occur to me today that I might be running a little faster just so I could be finished sooner.

exercise.png

I'm in Texas too. Just north of Fort Worth before you get to Denton. It has been sooo very hot! And humid.

My son is at school in Denton.

UNT? I did some Master's work there. Didn't finish- got job- gave up public assistance :smiley:

He is at UNT. He really loves it there. He is planning to get a master's and a doctorate. I hope he will be able to do all of it there. His dream is to move to Portland after school, so I will hardly ever see him then. (I don't think not seeing me much is part of his dream, just living in the Pacific Northwest).

Be a nice place for you to visit though. Some great running up thatta way I hear. I loved UNT I lived in Denton from ages 2-9. Then it was NTSU. It's home to me, if I ever had one.

It is only great running up thatta way if you like to run in the rain or are a duck! What they do have is some amazing food! (Waffle Window, Voodoo Donuts, Pine State Biscuits just to name a few :)!) My daughter moved from here (SoCal) to Maryland to Seattle. Many of her friends have moved to either Seattle or Portland including her college roommate and best friend who was nice enough to take me to all of her favorite Portland foodie places!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Hobbes the Vizsla would be on point with bunnicula as we ran past, well at least until the bunny made a move :wink:
    @juliet3455 - can't imagine change out of my wet running clothes while in a big sweater although I have seen lots of surfers change while wearing a towel but I think that is a bit easier!
    @HonuNui - I will have to look into that shapewear/compression camisole. Could be SO much easier!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Totally disturbed my running mate afterward when I went to K-Tape my left foot and three of my toenails just came off. Poor lady haha :dizzy:

@JessicaMcB I remember the last time I lost a Toe Nail, dropped a block of wood on my foot at a campground while wearing Sandals. The real issue was before the old Toe nail came off the new one started to grow in underneath it and trapped a piece of skin between the old and new Toe nail. Which made for a very uncomfortable situation as the new Toe Nail started pushing through the skin. So the lesson for me was to watch the new Toe Nail carefully and make sure it is not trapped under a layer of skin.

My first toenail loss was before I was a runner... that happened from hiking. The toenail only half-way fell off/disconnected - the back half. So the nail was still there on my toe, but only because the front half was still attached to the nail bed. In the mean-time, the back half started to re-grow. That got trapped underneath the old nail and ultimately disconnected as well. Next, half of the nail started growing again. Finally, after I had 3 nails stacked up, they all fell off and I grew a new nail.
  • stephenhall_hr
    stephenhall_hr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    5k this morning. Easy recovery run after over doing it last Sunday...

44.5k this month so far
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My phone exploded while I was running. I was jamming out, moonsliding at some points and then boom. Thank god I don't hold my phone anymore when I do runs.

Umm what is "moonsliding" and what do you mean by exploded? :scream:

• PastorVincent
    Options
    It is 100% humidity again. Sigh. Will not be running but will be wearing a black suit instead. Probably sweat just as much! (presiding over an outdoor funeral today). Under Armor needs to make Heat Gear suits for times like this.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It is 100% humidity again. Sigh. Will not be running but will be wearing a black suit instead. Probably sweat just as much! (presiding over an outdoor funeral today). Under Armor needs to make Heat Gear suits for times like this.

It is 100% humidity here also. I was going to run early this morning, but was having foot cramps and wanted to sleep in because it has been a long and exhausting week anyway. I might do my long run tomorrow morning instead or I may just try to suck up the heat later today.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  1     4.0        4.0 
    July  3     3.7        7.7 
    July  7     3.7       11.4
    July  8     5.1       16.5
    July  9     3.7       20.2
    July 11     3.7       23.9
    July 15     5.1       29.0

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Still, I've put it off for a long time because every time I looked, I had one of those "feeling sorry for myself cause I'm single" moments because all the reviews on the website seem to be raving about how the roadID allowed the husband or wife to be there in time... Felt a bit weird to be putting my parents contact number like I'm a little child going on her first train ride alone. On the other hand, try picturing the face of the guy you're dating if you tell him after the second date "I'm serious about us, I put you as emergency contact on my roadID". And then inevitably having to buy a new ID with different numbers cause he freaked out about it and ran for the hills >:)

@_nikkiwolf_ this is exactly self-discussion I have about emergency contacts, being single. My family is so far away that it seems kind of useless to call them in an emergency. Friends, co-workers? Do they really want to be "responsible" for me? So I end up doing nothing, but it's a good thing and I should do it.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/17 :::: 8.1 :::: 8.1
    07/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 10.8
    07/03/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 14.2
    07/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 17.8
    07/05/17 :::: 5.5 :::: 23.3
    07/06/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 25.9
    07/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.9
    07/08/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 28.9
    07/09/17 :::: 8.5 :::: 37.4
    07/10/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 40.7
    07/11/17 :::: 5.2 :::: 45.9
    07/12/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 49.2
    07/13/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 52.2
    07/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 52.2
    07/15/17 :::: 9.4 :::: 61.6

So, long run accomplished today with almost no rain! It was 64 degrees but 97% humidity at the start. I was actually a little chilly when we gathered up because there was a breeze, but of course heated up on the run. It was fairly tolerable with the cooler temps and breeze off the lake. But still very sweaty. There was a bit of light rain but we avoided a downpour so I was happy. The down pour is happening right now though so it was close.

On the sports bra issue, I brought along a change of clothes this morning so I could go out for coffee after without being soaking wet, but couldn't change out of my sports bra in my car. I had a towel with me and thought in my head I could make it work, but the reality dawned that it was going to be a huge mistake to go through with it. So at least a fresh t-shirt happened and I got my coffee to go.

Anybody ever try the Undress? I can't imagine that is going to work with a sweaty sports bra either...