July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 glad to hear a change of shoes has made all the difference! How was the smoke treating you? Didn't bother me much today but my whole trail group dropped out over it :/

@Elise4270 how small are you? FWIW I'm 5'10", 130 and I train with a full 2 or 3L pack- hasn't killed me yet, just gives me speed advantage when I take it off ;)

Well my ankle has been handling okay today so I put in for an easy 14 of roads (didn't trust it on trail). Waiting for a CT scan (my doctor seemed to think I dislocated my midfoot or something? Idk I don't think so) and have physio between my ankle and my seizing piriformis on Monday.

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5
    July 3- Off
    July 4- 11.7
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21
    July 9- 20.5
    July 10- Off
    July 11- 18
    July 12 -19
    July 13- 15
    July 14- 20
    July 15- 30
    July 16- 17
    July 17- 13
    July 18- 14.1

233.7/360
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB We actually have very clear skies - just a hint of High Altitude Haze but you can't smell the smoke.
    It took a little self analysis of my runs to realize that every time I had a Niggle/Wiggle or just a general crappy run I was in my Blue Mizuno's.
    Glad to hear that you are able to get out for a road run, good call on staying away from the trails for a while and allow your ankle some time to heal/recover.

@Elise4270 Just remember that you don't have to fill the Bladder.
    So you can get a Bigger Bladder but only dump 2 L in it.
    In fact for your first few runs until you get comfortable with it and fitted I would suggest only dumping 1L in it.

I have a 6L Dromedary for Backpacking that if I am only day hiking it only gets 2-3 L.
    If I am going for a Big Multiday Hike and the Trail I am on has limited water options then it gets filled to the top.
    For running I have a 3L in a Osprey Duro - which was actually initially designed as a Hydration pack for Mountain Bikers / Climbers as it has a pouch for a Helmet which can be used as a coat/clothing holder.
    The reason I went to the Osprey is that I am a big dude with big shoulders ( long skinny arms, Picture Moose from Archie Comics with Jughead arms ) and most Hydration Packs are too small in the back which means they are to small across the chest.

Had to go back and Edit my Post to add.
    Forgot to mention that there were 8 different piles of Bear Scat, Red or Purple.
    The wild Saskatoon's and Raspberries are heavy with fruit so the Bears are feasting.
    Even had one Saskatoon tree beside the trail that had been pulled down - I am guessing a bear grabbed it and pulled it over to get to the fruit at the very top - we all know that the best berries are always at the top where you can't reach them.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    July goal 100 miles

July 1.........4.1 miles..........MTD 4.1
    July 2.........3.0 miles......... MTD 7.1
    July 3.........5.0 miles..........MTD 12.1
    July 4.........Rest Day..........MTD 12.1
    July 5.........8.5 miles..........MTD 20.6
    July 6.........3.1 miles..........MTD 23.7
    July 7.........3.5 miles..........MTD 27.2
    July 8.........Rest day..........MTD 27.2
    July 9.........8.5 miles.........MTD 35.7
    July 10.......3.5 miles.........MTD 39.2
    July 11.......8.0 miles.........MTD 47.2
    July 12.......3.2 miles.........MTD 50.4
    July 13.......Rest day..........MTD 50.4
    July 14.......6.3 miles.........MTD 56.7
    July 15.......10.2miles........MTD 66.9
    July 16.......Rest day..........MTD 66.9
    July 17.......Rest day..........MTD 66.9
    July 18.......4 miles............ MTD 70.9
    July 19.......4 miles.............MTD 74.9

Keep safe and hydrated out there.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Still, I've put it off for a long time because every time I looked, I had one of those "feeling sorry for myself cause I'm single" moments because all the reviews on the website seem to be raving about how the roadID allowed the husband or wife to be there in time... Felt a bit weird to be putting my parents contact number like I'm a little child going on her first train ride alone. On the other hand, try picturing the face of the guy you're dating if you tell him after the second date "I'm serious about us, I put you as emergency contact on my roadID". And then inevitably having to buy a new ID with different numbers cause he freaked out about it and ran for the hills >:)

@_nikkiwolf_ this is exactly self-discussion I have about emergency contacts, being single. My family is so far away that it seems kind of useless to call them in an emergency. Friends, co-workers? Do they really want to be "responsible" for me? So I end up doing nothing, but it's a good thing and I should do it.

I should get a RoadID but haven't yet. I too tend to put my parents, but it always seems more sensible to have someone closer to where I live. My housemate puts me down as her emergency contact, and has given me a list of important numbers. She is French, and I don't speak french, so the first number on her list is a family friend who speaks both French and English. This would mean I wouldn't be having awkward and horrific badly understood conversations with her mum if something happened. This is especially poignant as her sister died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, and my housemate is filled with 'it could happen anytime' thoughts.

I think that might be what I do - give someone a list of contacts such as my parents, and have them act as first port of call. And vice versa with my parents - if I was taken to hospital, at least then someone could come visit me with a change of underwear if they lived close, but my parents would still be able to keep in touch.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to running and use the C5k app...not much of July left, so will set my goal to 15 miles since I'm slow and very overweight, so I have to do it the right way to build up. I'm also doing a cardio class twice a week

welcome to the group
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just realized that there are only a week and a few days until my next race. It is a mile race. I have not run any race shorter than 5k in more decades than I care to remember (not since High School). No idea how I will do. Have not trained for it at all, but I looked at last year and in the mere mortal division the winner last year was like 5:50something. I think I could beat that, if not come close... but it has been so long since I have run anything that short at pace that I am not sure - the LAST mile of my last Marathon was at a 6 and change pace. So I should be able to do at least a 6:00 right?

I plan to start with the leader(s) and stick with them till the last 1/4 or so. Then kick it full - but with my luck a 4:27 miler will show up :lol: and I will try to keep pace with them :lol:

Probably run a 5:40, and trip 5 feet from the finish line and crawl across at 6:30! :lol:

Any tips?

IMO I wouldn't push yourself if you haven't been running that speed in a long time. That's the fastest way to get hurt.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

@Elise4270 how small are you? FWIW I'm 5'10", 130 and I train with a full 2 or 3L pack- hasn't killed me yet, just gives me speed advantage when I take it off ;)

Well my ankle has been handling okay today so I put in for an easy 14 of roads (didn't trust it on trail). Waiting for a CT scan (my doctor seemed to think I dislocated my midfoot or something? Idk I don't think so) and have physio between my ankle and my seizing piriformis on Monday.

I'm 5'5", 119. I had dream last night the pack was huge but ultra light haha! I'm sure I'll love it. I've had surgery for my left piriformis muscle (nerve impingement) a ago. The right is also in need. Once I get lined out, I'm gonna be a bad kitten runner :wink: least I better be, with all the money I spend on gear.

Thanks for the info @juliet3455 !

@hanlonsk I've done PT off an on for the last 2 years. It's helped greatly. Hopefully it'll get you back on track to be a strong runner. It sounds like you made the right move scheduling with the doc/pt/MRI. If you can swim, that might be the way to go until the ankle is better. You can always tape it with some KT tape if needed.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    5 miles this morning including 10 hill repeats of 1 minute each. Pace was good on the hill repeats under 7 minutes a mile. Considering running a local 5k tonight just for fun. It's not part of my training plan but I am curious as to what a good 5k for me would be. My marathon is not until October and tomorrow is a recovery day. looks like I will not quite make my 150 this month unless I add in a Sunday run. Sunday is my off day, I'm not sure I want to give it up.

exercise.png
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    July 2: C25K W7D3 - 2.0 miles running (25 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 4: C25K W8D1 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 6: C25K W8D2 - 2.3 miles running (28 minutes), 4.2 miles total
    July 8: C25K W8D3 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 10: 2.4 miles running (31 min), 4.2 total
    July 12: 2.5 miles running (32 min), 4.2 total
    July 14: 2.7 miles running (34 min), 4.2 total
    July 16: 3.1 miles running (49 min), 4.2 total
    July 18: 3.2 miles running (44 min), 4.2 total
    July 20: 3.3 miles running (40 min), 4.2 total

Totals: 30.3/25 and 42.0/25

Still trying to figure out what constitutes an "easy" pace. Saw a suggestion of the fastest you can run with 3-3 breathing (count every time your right foot hits the ground, 1-2-3 is your inhale, then exhale for 4-5-6) as a target, so I tried that today. I had trouble on the next to last uphill, which is the longest, steepest portion, and had to breathe through my mouth for a few seconds. Once I was past that, it went back to being fine.

I'm thinking I'll sign up for a local 5k two weeks from this coming Saturday, just to see what kind of time I get. It's a relatively small race, with a large walking contingent, so I'd be middle of the pack.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Still, I've put it off for a long time because every time I looked, I had one of those "feeling sorry for myself cause I'm single" moments because all the reviews on the website seem to be raving about how the roadID allowed the husband or wife to be there in time... Felt a bit weird to be putting my parents contact number like I'm a little child going on her first train ride alone. On the other hand, try picturing the face of the guy you're dating if you tell him after the second date "I'm serious about us, I put you as emergency contact on my roadID". And then inevitably having to buy a new ID with different numbers cause he freaked out about it and ran for the hills >:)

@_nikkiwolf_ this is exactly self-discussion I have about emergency contacts, being single. My family is so far away that it seems kind of useless to call them in an emergency. Friends, co-workers? Do they really want to be "responsible" for me? So I end up doing nothing, but it's a good thing and I should do it.

I should get a RoadID but haven't yet. I too tend to put my parents, but it always seems more sensible to have someone closer to where I live. My housemate puts me down as her emergency contact, and has given me a list of important numbers. She is French, and I don't speak french, so the first number on her list is a family friend who speaks both French and English. This would mean I wouldn't be having awkward and horrific badly understood conversations with her mum if something happened. This is especially poignant as her sister died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, and my housemate is filled with 'it could happen anytime' thoughts.

I think that might be what I do - give someone a list of contacts such as my parents, and have them act as first port of call. And vice versa with my parents - if I was taken to hospital, at least then someone could come visit me with a change of underwear if they lived close, but my parents would still be able to keep in touch.

My son would write my name and phone number on himself when he went on crazy treks all over the US. You could write a phone number in your undies. (I bought him a road ID- he never used it.)

Before road ID, I'd write info on the bottom of my shoes or on the medial outside of the shoe.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7/1 - vacation
    7/2 - vacation
    7/3 - vacation
    7/4 - vacation
    7/5 - vacation
    7/6 - 5 mile run (FINALLY!!!)
    7/7 - 3 mile shakeout run in the lovely, light rain
    7/8 - Women’s Distance Festival 5k (24:03) - 72°F & 96% humidity (bleurgh)
    7/9 - 10 mile long run
    7/10 - rest
    7/11 - 6 miles w/a beatdown from the heat
    7/12 - 8 miles w/summer track workout: 2.5 mi wup, 400/800/1200/1200/800/400 ladder, 1 mi cd
    7/13 - rest
    7/14 - daily double - 5.1 mile negative split run/4 mile run
    7/15 - 5 mile recovery run
    7/16 - 4 mile slow run
    7/17 - 8.5 mile run (glorious weather, but .5 mile short due to lightning)
    7/18 - 4 mile recovery run
    7/19 - 8 miles w/summer track workout: 3 mi wu, 4x1200m w/recoveries, .5 mi cd

July Total: 73.7/150
    840.5 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

So, I somehow survived my run last night, with the track workout. First off, around 90°F w/an active heat advisory and air quality alert when I started, and mid to upper-80s by the end, with decently high humidity. Secondly, I think this cold I've been fighting is actually a sinus infection (got a dr.'s appt for this afternoon, woohoo!), so I was really dragging energy-wise, and my throat was not feeling great, breathing was not great, etc. So yeah, it was a struggle. BUT, I did it! I started early, because I just wanted to have it done and over with. I ran 3 miles as warmup, and then did the first 1200m interval and recovery interval before my running group started. Did the other three 1200m intervals and recovery intervals with the group, and then broke off, and finished off the .5 miles I had left to hit 8 miles as a cooldown.

I am really not willing at this point to take a break from the running. This is the first week of my marathon training plan, and I NEED it to get off to a good start. I'm hoping to pick up some antibiotics this afternoon, after the dr.'s appt. Then after work, I just have an easy 4 mile recovery run scheduled. After that, it'll be straight to shower and pajamas, and resting. Tomorrow morning, super early, is going to have to be my long run, since I'm away this weekend. It's 14 miles, which will be a distance PR for me, so I'm going to do my best to just get it done, and I'm certainly not stressing over pace. I am NOT a morning person though, so its probably gonna suck, lol.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min
    7/15 5mi 48:28min
    7/16 10mi 1:41:20min
    7/17 rest
    7/18 6mi 57:17min
    7/19 7mi 67:29min
    7/20 rest
    7/21 6mi 57:11min

Good run early this morning. Mid-70ies, but muggy. Still way better than running in mid-90ies and muggy if I went out later.

Tomorrow is 4 miles then 10 miles on Saturday. It's supposed to be in the 80ies at 6am. Not looking forward to that. I'm going to try and be out the door by 5:45am Saturday morning.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »

I felt really good! It's good to know that if I'm ever out running, and I misplace a pint of blood, I can easily make it 10 miles or so. I'll see in the morning how I feel though. .

I hope everyone's having a good mid-week!

Haha. That's good. I don't think that most of us might be able to say that! Have a good week!