July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Watch tan lines... heh I guess I am a bit silly about that as I alternate wrists each run to prevent that. :)

Heh, and here I'm happy when I get a deep runners watch tan.

Let's see you beat this

kqipuy97zgfp.jpg

Where's your pig?

I do not have a pig. I have a creeper (from Minecraft) and a fidget cube.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I do not have a pig. I have a creeper (from Minecraft) and a fidget cube.

Minecraft creeper will definitely teach you to run.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,010 Member
    Options
    @NikolaosKey Good luck on the Aquathlon! I hope you don't meet any jellyfish!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/7-4.7 Miles
    2/7-6.8
    3/7-REST
    4/7-2.8
    5/7-3
    6/7-REST
    7/7-3.1
    8/7-REST
    9/7-4.8
    10/7-3.1
    11/7-4
    12/7-3.5
    13/7-4.9
    14/7-REST
    15/7-6.8
    16/7-3.1
    17/7-3.6
    18/7-REST
    19/7-2.1
    20/7-5.4
    21/7-4.2
    22/7-2.5
    23/7-8.2
    24/7-REST
    25/7-5.4
    26/7-3.1
    27/7-REST
    28/7-4.4
    Total -92.5/100
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I missed posting yesterday and 200 messages. How do you all keep up!? Amazing!

Thursday had planned on strength training but I had to go into school for some scheduling problems (I'm the schedule maker for the whole high school) .... and I was SO tired at the end of the day I decided to call it a rest day.

I tried the Brooks Glycerin 15s today! The first 4 miles I thought they were great. My pace was even faster! (Which is impossible that it was the shoes but I was faster) And then mile 5... I started having a little bit of pain on the bottom of my feet. This is the exact problem I had with the New Balance Fresh Foam shoes ... that I'm giving up after around only 100 miles. Everything else felt great -- I will have to give them a few long runs before I decide. They are from RoadRunner so I have 90 days to return. Only returned one pair before but I waited too long on the NB, so won't do that if these don't work out. Hopefully it was just a weird thing. But I wore the Glycerin 14s for 7.5 miles (that have a lot more miles on them) on Wednesday and had no bottom of foot pain... so not sure.

7/1 - 5.5 miles - Barcelona!
    7/2 - 7.5 miles - Barcelona again!
    7/3 - 2 miles (Treadmill on cruise)
    7/4 - rest - lots of walking in Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo
    7/5 - 3 miles - 22 laps on cruise running track. Set out for 5 miles, but it wasn't fun.
    7/6 - rest - lots of walking in Rome
    7/7 - rest - Amalfi coast and Pompeii
    7/8 - 4.1 treadmill on cruise
    7/9 - rest - travel day
    7/10 - 7 miles in Munich
    7/11 - 6 miles in Munich
    7/12 - travel day
    7/13 - 4.2 miles back home w/daughter
    7/14 - 6.0 miles
    7/15 - 45 miles biking
    7/16 - 28 miles biking
    7/17 - 4.6 miles
    7/18 - 5.1 miles
    7/19 - strength training
    7/20 - 5 miles
    7/21 - 5 miles
    7/22 - 34 miles biking
    7/23 - 66 miles biking
    7/24 - 5 miles
    7/25 - Strength training
    7/26 - 7.5 - goal!
    7/27 - rest day - supposed to be strength training but too tired.
    7/28 - 5 miles
    7/29 -
    7/30 -
    7/31 -

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I missed posting yesterday and 200 messages. How do you all keep up!? Amazing!

Friday. Boss is out. Still have phone life.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I think I might need help,
    Someone walked by my desk and mentioned a race NEXT WEEK, and it is on a day I am already doing a race... just 12 hours later... and umm... now I am signed up for it.

Might need an intervention here! :lol:

Oh yeah, signed my wife up for it too, at some point I will have to tell her.
    @PastorVincent Good thing you signed her up, you need someone to drive between and after events. o:)
    as long as you remember to tell her that she is all ready registered.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    3.25 miles for me this morning at a pace of 9:46 per mile.

July to date: 71.49 / 60 (I obviously low-balled my goal.)

I'm finding myself with some conflicting goals - or too many goals, I guess. I want to run faster and do 5k in under 30 minutes, I want to run farther because I have my first half-marathon in November, and I want to lose the rest of my weight.

Since I'm already signed up for the half-marathon I think I need to focus on the running longer and not worry about speed. And, while my deficit really isn't all that much (average of 335/day over the last seven days), I'm feeling like I'm getting tired really easily and may need to eat more (and make better choices). BUT, I want everything all at once!!

Anyway, no run for tomorrow - going rafting for the first time so really looking forward to that!! Happy Friday, everyone - enjoy your weekend!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think I might need help,

Someone walked by my desk and mentioned a race NEXT WEEK, and it is on a day I am already doing a race... just 12 hours later... and umm... now I am signed up for it.

Might need an intervention here! :lol:

Oh yeah, signed my wife up for it too, at some point I will have to tell her.

I don't see the problem, I see the awesome ;) (my feelings may or may not be influenced by my late in the game registration for Edmonton Marathon last night haha!)

@MNLittleFinn haha thanks, I feel like I'm more adequate-ing it, I need to go harder at speedwork
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn haha thanks, I feel like I'm more adequate-ing it, I need to go harder at speedwork

Ugh, great job making this, just for the finish, guy feel inadequate..... :p
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    3.25 miles for me this morning at a pace of 9:46 per mile.

July to date: 71.49 / 60 (I obviously low-balled my goal.)

I'm finding myself with some conflicting goals - or too many goals, I guess. I want to run faster and do 5k in under 30 minutes, I want to run farther because I have my first half-marathon in November, and I want to lose the rest of my weight.

Since I'm already signed up for the half-marathon I think I need to focus on the running longer and not worry about speed. And, while my deficit really isn't all that much (average of 335/day over the last seven days), I'm feeling like I'm getting tired really easily and may need to eat more (and make better choices). BUT, I want everything all at once!!

Anyway, no run for tomorrow - going rafting for the first time so really looking forward to that!! Happy Friday, everyone - enjoy your weekend!

Yes to all of this! I am concentrating on just getting through and increasing distance then worry about speed. But I want to lose the rest of this weight. It ALL needs to be a priority NOW! JK. I get it though.

Oh and I have a craft show that I need to get ready for in 2 weeks. Ack!

What other hobbies to people have besides running??? I crochet, knit, and sew. And raise animals.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @garygse Please, tell me you've seen the movie RED!! With all of these pig posts, all I can think of is Marvin yelling, "I'm gettin' the pig!"
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Ugh, great job making this, just for the finish, guy feel inadequate..... :p

Pssssh you know you're awesome (and better at listening to doctors than I am by about a factor of 10 lol)! The standards I have for myself I would never recommend to anyone else :D
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Watch tan lines... heh I guess I am a bit silly about that as I alternate wrists each run to prevent that. :)

Heh, and here I'm happy when I get a deep runners watch tan.

Let's see you beat this

kqipuy97zgfp.jpg

Where's your pig?

tw44zq781ocv.jpg
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    63aqywtcch5k.jpg
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 28 – 0.0 miles Shaun Week: Insane Focus Ripsanity
    Total: 96.5/100 miles

I’ve been fighting with a bit of chest congestion for the past couple of days that I really felt during the cardio bursts in today’s Insane Focus workout. So, I decided to skip today’s run. I’ve been here before. It’s better to skip a day or two of heavy cardio than to push it and end up with pneumonia, which I’ve done before.

Upcoming Races:
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My co-worker has a Garmin 935 so I here is a comparison shot:

u9v20jbd5oem.jpg

The 935 is lighter than the Apple Watch Series 2, and with all that plastic, feels cheaper. Only had it for just long enough to take the image, so that is the extent of my review. :lol:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

You might have to accept slower weight loss, but running farther and running faster aren't necessarily incompatible. I improved my 5K time quite a bit while training for a marathon, simply by doing the marathon speed work. Granted, I had a pretty aggressive marathon training plan. I don't know of any 5K training plan that calls for 3 mile tempo intervals, and those really helped me look at a 5K as a distance I could manage while running faster than easy.

Now, I don't really understand what's going on when I see guys fading after 3 miles of a 4 mile race. From the perspective of a distance runner, that last mile is no big deal; you don't run the first 3 quite as fast as you would run a 5K, but you run them faster than you would run a 10K. Training for the distance really gives perspective on how to manage the shorter races.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MobyCarp - do you feel you need to warm up for shorter races like a 5k or mile? Seems like since pushing in to marathon training the first mile or two is much harder than the middle miles.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - do you feel you need to warm up for shorter races like a 5k or mile? Seems like since pushing in to marathon training the first mile or two is much harder than the middle miles.

not him, but yes, for shorter races there is a need for a warm up. In general, the shorter the race, the longer the warm up.