WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Happy Sunday! Had a busy day yesterday; mowed the front yard, then moved a couple of large piles of wood, branches, logs, etc. left from storm and the dead tree that we took down before the storm hit. Our township has offered free pick up of storm debris if we leave the logs, branches, etc. at the curb this week! Can't beat that! So...moved that wood to the curbside, then mowed the back yard. My arms and upper back are feeling it today. But it is not too much pain. Def bearable!
    While I was mowing the back yard, my DYS came home with late lunch, which was a Whopper. Need I say more? He knows what I love. I don't care how healthy I get, or how fit; I will always love a Whopper from Burger King. No cheese. The cheese makes it taste not so fresh. I won't go on anymore about it, because I think I have "waxed poetic" about the Whopper on here before. Anyway, glad I had the exercise calorie burn that I did. I had no feelings of guilt at all eating that sandwich!
    Then...while I was showering, DYS made chicken and pasta! I about fell over when I saw that one of my children had made me dinner. This is actually only the second time it has happened! The first was just earlier this year, when my DYS was grilling (at midnight) when we arrived home from our road trip to/from Texas. ANyway, even my DH, who doesn't cook, was impressed. It was a simple whole wheat pasta, which he added some pesto and diced tomato to, topped it with sliced chicken breast that he had grilled and some parmesan cheese. Easy, but I think he was very proud of himself; as I was, too!
    Beds- I am LOVING the discussion on beds! We have a mattress that we bought five years ago, brand new, and it began to be a hated thing after about two years. And it was a $1000 dollar mattress! I know it's not a lot, when you consider that many people spend up to $5K on their mattresses; but sheesh! You'd think you'd get more life out of a thing you pay $1000 for! Anyway, I brought up the idea of putting two twin mattress on our king bed frame. DH thought that was crazy. His words: "Who does that?" Thank you, ladies! I will tell him all of Europe does it!
    Pip- Naughty girl! I never thought about swearing in another language on this site! Funny thing; I took French, German, and Spanish in high school. Those years will give you the basics. Then I moved to Mexico for a year and the very first thing I was taught by my new friends and coworkers were the swear words! AND those are the words that have stuck in my mind. Everything else is there, too, and if I think really hard I can come up with a few sentences or carry on a basic conversation. But whenever any one finds out I could speak the language they say "Say something in Spanish..." OF course the first thing that comes to my mind are the cuss words! "Que me quieres decir, pinche pendejo?" Not sure about the spelling or the grammar; but this is seriously the first sentence that comes into my head.
    Doctors and health system in USA- I hear you ladies on your discussion about doctors and our health system in the USA. I have a few friends/relatives that are on all kinds of medications for very manageable health issues. I do think a big part of the problem is the mind set of many people, that "there is a pill for that". I went to a GP for many years and then about six or seven years ago, thanks to my tipped uterus making it difficult to get a good tissue sample, I began going to a women's health doctor. She was the first doc I went to who actually talked to me while examining me. She knows I am not a "pill" person. I will take them if there is no other alternative, but if it is something well within my power to control, like my blood pressure, or cholesterol level, weight, etc. I would rather be given a timeline to correct it. I understand some people need to take pills for these things; but in my case, high BP and cholesterol, was due to my weight gain. That was when I began walking daily and making better food choices. Sure enough my BP and cholesterol are in the lower normal range now. I may still be considered obese (maybe even morbidly obese at 70lb overweight), but I lost enough to put my numbers in a healthy range. I do wonder...you know how in the US we have all of those pharmaceutical commercials advertising pills for this or that and it has this long list of side effects...etc. Do they do this in Europe/Canada? Do they offer meds like this, with all of the potential side effects. Or is it just America that is a "Pill Nation"?
    Chris- Happy belated birthday! Hope you are enjoying your time on the cape! I think being by water is a soul soother!
    Tere- Ugh! Shopping with teen girls! This was always stressful for me. My boys would wear whatever I bought them. My DD was high maintenance. She understood our budget, but it always took us a day or two to shop for her. I bet, though, after a rough time with her dad, that she is so thankful for you and your hubby taking care of her!

More of you I wanted to touch base with, but my brain is already focusing on what needs to get done today. Hope you all have a beautiful day! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Karen agree about your rant. I would like to see one public service commercial about taking are of yourself eating better, exercising, getting good sleep, spending quality time with family and friends, laughter, and stress reduction for every commercial that involves some pill that is used to treat a condition that is more than likely brought on by not doing enough of the above. I also agree the government will not solve the public health mess.

(((Beth)))

Leigh and Machka what a fun displays.

I went with friend to see the new Planet of the Apes movie. I liked it well enough. We went to Panda Express after. I like that they give you the option to have veggies as a side rather then rice. They also have calories for everything clearly marked. I had the the veggie side with pepper chicken. They also had a delicious non sweetened ice tea. Happy Camper.

Dana what a picture perfect day!

:heart: Margaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

Leigh and Machka what a fun displays.

:heart: Margaret

If you can watch the coverage, you'll see so many more too. :) People go all out for the TDF. :)

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning!

Love all the pics that have been recently added...Pip on the lake, all the bike art, and Dana & friend on the mountain top.

Kim ~ What a nice gesture from your neighbor. I hope you will find a way to get your machine fixed for less cost.

Allie ~ We all love you! I can't understand how you and T can be going through a divorce and still do things together. Is it really happening?

Mattresses ~ Thanks for all the input! Yesterday I was investigating the latex foam mattresses on line and this AM have been perusing the mattress you can buy that is the same as those at the La Quinta hotels. I remember them as being very comfortable. But, they are more than I have ever paid for a mattress.

They are building a subdivision down the old road by my mail box and everything is covered in dust! Ugh!

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies!

A word of caution here if you are purchasing twin beds to replace a king sized mattress, especially over the internet - double check the measurements, you might need "twin X-L". Sometimes regular twin sized aren't as long as the regular king size.

Love all the photos as well! <3

DH is out splitting fire wood. Yesterday he weighed himself...he's down to 172! EEK! He's not trying to lose weight, really. Just expending a lot of sweat and calories. Says he's not hungry and he gets filled up so quits eating.

Maybe I need to chop some wood!

Regarding clutter.... unless I catch DH in the right mood, I often secretly haul items to the thrift store or "bury" them in the garbage can so he doesn't start picking things out. He's really not too bad about it but is sentimental about some things.

We like to watch "Storage Wars" and "American Pickers" -- but I must say, about 99% of the items these folks pick up to sell or put into their thrift stores I would throw right into the garbage. I am sure they smell musty, likely have mouse or bird-poop on them too, lol.

Being a farm girl, I'm not afraid of dirt and my house gets kind of "dicey" B) - I guess that's why I wouldn't pay money to get more items to make it look dicier. :s

Speaking of bicycle rides, this weekend is the "STP" - Seattle to Portland ride, around 200 miles - some folks do it in a day! Our county is the mid-way point so there are lots of over-nighters who camp and stay at the local college, parks, etc. This year the weather is a little cooler than normal - some years, it's been in the 90's.

Finished my strength training and now doing some menu-planning.

Make it a wonderful day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chris!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Just back from an 80 min massage.and now a nap.yes divorce is still going through..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I'll bet you and Matchka have the best legs of us all. I love the photo of you on the paddleboard. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Sorry to hear that things are so bad for Aunt Margaret. :cry:

Karen: Your medical care rant is well founded. I think we need to add something to the discussion, though, and that is personal responsibility for health issues. I will use myself as an example. I had acid reflux issues that were pretty awful and a doctor prescribed medicine for me. He said I'd have to take it for life in order to avoid cancer of the esophagus. I can attest that after I began taking it I had horrible trouble remembering my student's names, a situation that got worse over time. This is not a good situation for a teacher. The medicine he prescribed has since been linked to Alzheimers as a possible/probable cause. I quit taking it after many years of use. My short-term memory is still not what I'd like, but it is improving. This is an example of the medical/pharmaceutical establishment failing patients. I also failed myself by over eating and putting on ten or more pounds a year for many years. I didn't think there was any way to fix this issue until I stumbled into MFP. This site has been both empowering and transformative for me. I have learned that I do have power to make changes for the better. I deal with the acid reflux with dietary care, and stacking pillows at night to elevate my upper body so that stomach acid stays downhill in my stomach where it belongs on bad nights. On very bad nights I use ranitidine, an over the counter medication that is less problematic than the prescription medicine I quit. :star:

Rori: DH does have a rich fantasy life and has offered many times to buy a horse for me. I love that he would be willing to do this & having the open opportunity. I can't say I'll never take him up on it, but I'm very pleased with my current situation. I have all the fun and none of the worry or expense other than paying for lessons. :heart:

Machka: My DMIL & DFIL had twin mattresses on a King-sized bed frame for decades. It is a good plan. It seems that the health care system you have is working very well. :flowerforyou:

DJ: Lunch out is a very nice treat, and so is an occasional breakfast out. We rarely go out for dinner, though. Portions are too big and we end up over eating plus prices are higher for the same entree you get for less at lunchtime. :wink:

Barbie: I'm glad you had a nice day. :smiley:

Kim: Happy tears are good for the soul. I hope you are able to work things out & get your machine back up and running. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I saw a number of cyclists on my way home from the stable yesterday. I would guess that these are the very fit and motivated competitors. Lots of people ride for the distance challenge and glory in completing the race without worrying about winning. I'm guessing there will be many more bicycles on Highway 30 today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    B)
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Becca Cute picture of you and your friend! I like your friends style!!
    I have a beautiful red, white and gray Pendleton blanket from the Indian blanket collection. I bought it for my DH but he doesn't like it because of the 100% wool content. I was thinking of hanging it. I would have to either see a pocket on the back on one edge or staple it onto a strip of wood.

KJ My mom takes Promacta. It helps the bone marrow make blood cells.
    She's dependent on it. Her doctor requested the prescription from the manufacturer because the meds would cost $11,000 a month. Who can afford that? She gets it for $9 a month. It's just crazy how the pricing is for certain drugs. Even my Xarelto is $33/mo copay. My gabapentin is only $4.

Have a great afternoon and stay cool!
    Dana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My DDnL#2 likes to go to flea markets, junk stores, and anything she can buy or pick up to repurpose. I like waiting "Flea Market Flip" to see how the couples pick things to repurpose them. She found a old wooden bed
    frame in the trash heap of a house down the road from her; got Will's truck and went and picked it up. I think Will could not believe her story about how she got it. He probably would never have done it; although both she and Mallory have gotten him to do things that I would never thought in my wildest dreams that he'd do. The summer after they were married; she started cutting the end of it in 1/2 to make the arms. I helped her do it; and it turned out great. It is a 'big' piece and when they made the bottom, Will helped; then he told her she should have done this or that, It turned out well; but, way too big for either place (house in Vidalia), lake place in Clayton); so for the time being it is out at the lake under the covered deck, a place they can store hunting equipment - boots and such. I just don't have any space to put anything. Our home actually has 7 rooms of furniture into a 'down-sized' home. Recently, replace the club chairs we had, Taylor and Chase will take the ones we had. I told her that when they got ready to have 'new' chairs; she needed to take into consideration how these chairs felt when they went looking for furniture. I sat down on a lot of chairs and sofas that I would 'hate' because the cushions were very deep and high off the floor. Maybe work for someone much, much taller. I told her they might decide it would be less expensive to cover those chairs (1920's style and heavy); but, told her since it had 'springs' she might tell whoever the upholster is that they wanted a padded bar across the front so the springs would have something to be attached to.

Louis keeps trying to get me to paint again. I just have not had it in me. Maybe if he de-cluttered my studio I might do it. If, when he was dealing with a decorator, he could tell her that I am an artist and would paint what she wanted and take whatever size she wanted and I would do it for her. I hesitate to buy what I'd need hoping that someone would buy it. There is a young woman in Albany, daughter of some 'well-to-do' parents who has sort of 'made a name for herself' by painting the 'huge' painting with just one thing in it and then she puts a horseshoe as her signature in gold and asks $2500 for a 5' x 5' painting. Finding a place that would let me hang my stuff there is hard to find. Usually they have already committed to an artist to show their work.

Our two youngest granddaughters that belong to our oldest son had their eyes checked and the doctor wants to put the oldest one in a different strength of glasses as he says the ones she has are really too strong for her; but, at the time they only had PeachCare (lottery-funded insurance for minors) because DYS nor DDnL#1 had any health insurance and they had to go to the only eye doctor they found that took it. Youngest granddaughter has a cataract on one eye and this eye doctor thinks it needs to removed. They already knew she had it, but the first one was going to take a 'wait and see' approach to see if it was growing. She and DOS have physicals set up. She has to have one for her job; and DOS has not been to a MD in years. Jenn also need glasses; but, at this point - they will have to save up the money because insurance will pay for the exams; but, not the glasses.

Lordy, Lordy, you should see the 'awful' outfit the woman in this couple is wearing. It's surely a case of 'just because they make it in your size, does NOT mean you should wear it'. LOL! It is a one-piece short outfit and she has a roll or tow and the material is very clingy. I have a black dress that I bought when I was a lot smaller than I am now, did not throw it out or donate it. I laughingly call it my 'funeralizing' dress. I'm not into wear 'loud' dresses or skirts to a funeral; but, I do realize that some view a funeral as a 'celebration'.

Called Windows World to set up an appointment for them to come replace the stops in the windows that when Louis started painting inside, saw that the raw wood was showing on the outside that is against the window; and, and that just wasn't acceptable. Also looks like they took raw pine and 'ripped' it down and they are not even straight and they butted up the joints. The owner said that he would personally oversee the installation; but, he was a 'no show'. Since I was 'home alone' I did not even go outside. Louis said there were a myriad of trim they could have used that was a better quality of wood. So I called and told them we were NOT happy with the installation. Since they are guaranteed for life ... they sent a 'couple' (man and woman) to come inspect the job. They agreed that the wood was not what 'they' would have put up and also 'they' would have mitered the corners (like a frame) and took pictures of them to take back. They also told me that Louis needed to paint the side that will be up against the glass the same white that we are using in the porch as it would actually look like part of the window. I thought that the outside one should have been stained until she explained 'why' it needed to be painted. When I told Louis what she had said, he agreed (he is the professional painter) and he did them. I also told the girl that I want this particular couple to come install them (as they actually live in Albany, although they work out of Tifton). She said she'd have to talk to the owner and them and would call me back to schedule it. Next thing will be to insulate it (maybe consider doing the floor as well. Then get Tyler's Dad to come finish up the rest, including installing the outside door. Then we will have to decide if we want our A/C man to do the installation of A/C running off the existing one, or if we want to try to find one of those combined A/C-Heater units that you hang on the wall. I'm thinking they will be about the same price.

I got up this AM 'sick' ... feeling a little better at the time; but, have a little bit of a headache.

Here is a picture of a set if chairs that I bought for our great room. Love them and they are so comfy and they 'fit' us. My other choice was a fabric chair; but, it did not come in leather and would have cost more to have it recovered by an outside upholster. Louis stopped by the store and sat down in one and loved it, so the next day I went and put a down-payment on them. They sent 'new' ones, too. I did not have to (nor would they have sold me) get the floor model.

6fc2pv14qcwk.jpg

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, and meant to ask; how was the massage?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    massage was awesome!!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    TAKING the day off from the gym, errands to run
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Taking a vote- what color would u put on the couch to go with the curtains