• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    First linkin park now this
  • mrwineismybf
    mrwineismybf Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Miss Wine, I have a credit score north of 800 and plenty of money in the bank :p

I need proof...damn wine
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    In my eyes no.
    Then, it's personal to what matters to you.

Anybody that asked me this wouldn't have even got through the first date.
    It's an incredibly personal thing (finances).

I own a company and don't do bad for myself so, credit wise I'm fine but asking about it - that raises some serious flags to me!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Friend and i discussed this and although im not into money it may help weed out some weirdos...thoughts?

Start small then work your way up the scale of severity, like do they have a job, still live with their parents, ever been convicted of a felony or are they on a sexual offender list somewhere. Credit scores come later!
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely not the first date. At some point in the relationship, yes.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

Just adding in here.

If you're already with somebody and you get on with them. Work as a couple.
    Overcome new relationship barriers and there doesn't seem to be any obstacles.

Why would you then wish to credit check them?

Personally I've never shared my credit details with anybody I've ever been with.
    Even now, finances don't make or break a relationship for me.

If you credit checked me a few years ago when I was establishing my business and had a few issues it would look terrible.
    Now, well. I don't need to worry, put it that way.

So, a credit check really doesn't tell you anything about anybody.

I'd want somebody I'm with to be with me wether I was catching a bus to work at a market stall or driving a Porsche to get to my office.

Of course, this is simply my opinion.
    My prerequisites are all fitness and aesthetically based.. each to their own!
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Just adding in here.

Personally I've never shared my credit details with anybody I've ever been with.

If you credit checked me a few years ago when I was establishing my business and had a few issues it would look terrible.

I'd want somebody I'm with to be with me wether I was catching a bus to work at a market stall or driving a Porsche to get to my office.

Some won't for instance rent an apartment/house, to someone with bad credit; so it might be important when they're seeking to reside together.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hell, that wouldn't work. I know plenty of weirdos with great credit scores.... as a matter of fact, mine is pretty impressive and according to my wife I'm plenty weird. lol
  • AdamAthletic
    edited July 2017
    Options

Just adding in here.

Some won't for instance rent an apartment/house, to someone with bad credit; so it might be important when they're seeking to reside together.

Most will take a guarantor/deposit in this case (source - my family own a large real estate business. I've been surrounded by the property business all of my life).
    I think that if you come to the conclusion that you're not prepared to look for a house that allows you both to live together - in every eventuality, you're probably not with the right person.

I know that if I were looking for a house to rent and credit score was an issue, there are plenty landlords that would happily take my money even if a couple decided not to.

Ultimately, it's a small obstacle to overcome - added to the fact that credit scores change, all the time!
    The maximum time any report can stay on one is 6 years, meaning that by the time you're ready to move in together - the situation could be completely different.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, but if anyone ever wanted to pull my credit report on a first date I would run far and fast. I can't imagine a more stick-up-the-youknowwhat kind of thing to demand so early on. Ew!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Just adding in here.

Most will take a guarantor/deposit in this case (source - my family own a large real estate business. I've been surrounded by the property business all of my life).
    I think that if you come to the conclusion that you're not prepared to look for a house that allows you both to live together - in every eventuality, you're probably not with the right person.

I know that if I were looking for a house to rent and credit score was an issue, there are plenty landlords that would happily take my money even if a couple decided not to.

Ultimately, it's a small obstacle to overcome - added to the fact that credit scores change, all the time!
    The maximum time any report can stay on one is 6 years, meaning that by the time you're ready to move in together - the situation could be completely different.

That's the jist of it, for me. I guess I'm just an old sappy romantic type, but I seriously can't imagine refusing the possibility of a really good relationship because of some poor credit decisions in their past. "Sure, he's kind and funny and he treats me really well and we have amazing chemistry, but I just don't know - he has a few too many credit cards and no mortgage..." I just don't get that.
  • dejberry
    dejberry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't know-do you want the date to actually show up? :p
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I think that's boiling it down too much, as others have stated it's not the only indicator of being financially responsible. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable to include a financial component into match criterion if the aspiration is for a long-term relationship. Don't be offended if you're held to similar criteria though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Friend and i discussed this and although im not into money it may help weed out some weirdos...thoughts?

Well, you would BE the weirdo in this situation, so I agree it would help weed out some weirdos.
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If someone asked me for my credit score before the first date I'd be concerned that theirs is either extraordinarily bad and they only want me for my excellent credit or the date is just a ruse to get a free dinner.

You and I must share the same brain because I had the exact same thought.

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Just adding in here.

I've resided within my apartment complex, my entire 37 years; in 2 separate apartments. Since I've been here, prior to having; a credit score & never missed a payment, either my parents or myself, my score doesn't matter but when a complex's evicting nearly 20% of their tenants, for nonpayment of rent; it matters because they must redo (paint walls/polish floors) an apartment, for each new tenant; which could be over a grand & more, if the new tenant'd require disability access (personal ramp); that the previous tenant didn't. Plus they'd lose money due to vacancy, since it also takes time; to redo an apartment/find a qualified tenant. My security deposit wouldn't cover ¼ of those costs, it's basically for potential damages; that aren't due to normal wear & tear! Areas that don't have, strict qualifications're usually unkempt & crime riddled. Unfortunately love doesn't guarantee, that you're residing somewhere; reasonably safe. As in they're so desperate for tenants, that they'll accept everyone; even felons aren't permitted here. That said, we've also had every type of crime; happen here anyway but it isn't a regular occurrence. A credit score's mostly an avenue, to determine responsibility/maturity; rather than financial worth. Which depending upon why someone has bad credit, it might not be held against them such as medical debt; which's what I've currently.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

Just adding in here.

I've resided within my apartment complex, my entire 37 years; in 2 separate apartments. Since I've been here, prior to having; a credit score & never missed a payment, either my parents or myself, my score doesn't matter but when a complex's evicting nearly 20% of their tenants, for nonpayment of rent; it matters because they must redo (paint walls/polish floors) an apartment, for each new tenant; which could be over a grand & more, if the new tenant'd require disability access (personal ramp); that the previous tenant didn't. Plus they'd lose money due to vacancy, since it also takes time; to redo an apartment/find a qualified tenant. My security deposit wouldn't cover ¼ of those costs, it's basically for potential damages; that aren't due to normal wear & tear! Areas that don't have, strict qualifications're usually unkempt & crime riddled. Unfortunately love doesn't guarantee, that you're residing somewhere; reasonably safe. As in they're so desperate for tenants, that they'll accept everyone; even felons aren't permitted here. That said, we've also had every type of crime; happen here anyway but it isn't a regular occurrence. A credit score's mostly an avenue, to determine responsibility/maturity; rather than financial worth. Which depending upon why someone has bad credit, it might not be held against them such as medical debt; which's what I've currently.

The credit scoring system only issues a number - compares that number to a graph and aligns it to whichever scoring system is being used.
    It quite literally tells you nothing about why the score is high or low, unless you're a lender - the score that's made available to a potential landlord or housing agency isn't detailed in any sense of the word (nor should it be).

So, the fact still remains that requesting somebody's credit report isn't going to give you any insight into their personality nor financial responsibility level.

To some people perhaps financial upstanding is important and that's fine, to others it bears no importance whatsoever but a credit report isn't going to give you any more of an insight into what's in a persons bank account not how they might choose to spend it.

As for living areas - I don't really find that is any more strict in (let's say) a financial area to a run down area. The main difference being the rental price of the house/apartment.
    If you can afford the rent, mostly you shouldn't find it overly difficult to find a property regardless of credit scoring.

Let's say you find somebody with an incredible credit score and psychotic tendencies - you can have the nicest house in the nicest area and you're less safe because of the choice of person.

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    LOL! Something tells me you'd get away with it! :wink:

...but most people? nah!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It's unreasonable... and anyone who would consider a date after such a request would be an asshat wearing socially inept doofus
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give a rat's *kitten* what someone's credit score is. To ask would be shallow and pointless. If that's important on the first date (or any date) then why bother?