Is it ok to ask for credit score/report before first date

Options
12345679»

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A noticed a lot of comments about how it shouldn't matter. I couldn't date someone knowing the relationship may never progress. Finances generally become combined and I would lose my sanity with someone who was living beyond their/our means. If the mortgage needs to be paid and he goes and spends all the checking and savings on the tables, there would probably be a domestic... (I don't agree with domestics by any means)

However I believe 1st dates should be fun rather than serious, nothing'll matter if you're unable to enjoy each other's company enough; to even seek a 2nd date!

I am not personally serious enough to ask for a credit score or throw out any deal breakers on a first date. I can understand how others feel differently about the topic.
  • mrwineismybf
    mrwineismybf Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    A noticed a lot of comments about how it shouldn't matter. I couldn't date someone knowing the relationship may never progress. Finances generally become combined and I would lose my sanity with someone who was living beyond their/our means. If the mortgage needs to be paid and he goes and spends all the checking and savings on the tables, there would probably be a domestic... (I don't agree with domestics by any means)

Very good point...theres lots of reasons for bad credit scores but 9 times outta 10 its bad spending habits and/or poor money management

Is this an actual statistic?

Of course ...i read it somewhere...online...howtopickamate.com
  • TylerJ8476
    TylerJ8476 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TylerJ8476 wrote: »
    I have horrible credit, but I like to think I'm a good person...what do I win?

Based on some these answers, a lack of dates.

Story of my life...
  • mrwineismybf
    Options

However I believe 1st dates should be fun rather than serious, nothing'll matter if you're unable to enjoy each other's company enough; to even seek a 2nd date!

But that is fun...kinda like playing 20 questions...whats your fav food...if you could take a trip anywhere...would u wear a banana hammock ....whats your credit score
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options

But that is fun...kinda like playing 20 questions...whats your fav food...if you could take a trip anywhere...would u wear a banana hammock ....whats your credit score

Fun's subjective!

However leading questions like: "What's your favorite food?", might indicate that you'll cook for them; upon subsequent dates & "If you could take a trip anywhere?", might indicate that you've an interest to vacation with them someplace; which'd only obviously occur as the dates continue/relationship builds!

So yeah it's possible that as the questioning becomes more serious, as interest further increases; for that to be appropriately asked but I'd still wager that 20 questions that could lead to that 1'd, be okay to ask upon a 1st date if it was a date; that became several hours. Otherwise the date becomes a job interview, for so many questions; to be asked at once.
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like to open with "what's your blood type?" And "are your parents still together?".

I'd also wanna check, their license to ensure; that states: "Organ Donor"!
  • mrwineismybf
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I like to open with "what's your blood type?" And "are your parents still together?".

I ask for a recent picture of the dad to see how well he is aging.

I see this as completely appropriate...im 40 and clearly age well...id like the same...cant have poor credit and poor looks
  • mrwineismybf
    Options

Fun's subjective!

However leading questions like: "What's your favorite food?", might indicate that you'll cook for them; upon subsequent dates & "If you could take a trip anywhere?", might indicate that you've an interest to vacation with them someplace; which'd only obviously occur as the dates continue/relationship builds!

So yeah it's possible that as the questioning becomes more serious, as interest further increases; for that to be appropriately asked but I'd still wager that 20 questions that could lead to that 1'd, be okay to ask upon a 1st date if it was a date; that became several hours. Otherwise the date becomes a job interview, for so many questions; to be asked at once.

As i state in my profile I DO NOT COOK FOR ANYONE!! This should not be a problem...
  • DreDay46
    DreDay46 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    This is a funny topic. I would think of a criminal background check before credit score though. I'm sure there are plenty of weirdos with good credit.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Vampires that would attack my parents were a deal breaker for me every time!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    No that is not okay! That's not even remotely your business. It's not your business until you've decided you want to take bigger steps together after you've already been in a relationship for a while. Like, moving in. If you are trying to 'weed men out' by their credit scores instead of by who they are and the relationship you have then you probably should ask them their credit scores on the first date so they can weed you out instead.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

There ya go! Knew you'd have worked out how to get away with it! I guess like the best jokes its all in the delivery! :lol:

Any suggestions on checking their view on polygamy?....asking for a friend! :innocent:
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    ZodFit wrote: »
    Why go so personal to weed out weirdos? Just ask what their favorite candy is and of they day marshmallow peeps, get up and walk away

Can confirm this works, the twizzlers vs red vines thread whittled down my list of potentials.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I have awesome credit, but I would be totally turned off if some *kitten* asked for my credit report before a first date. Are you kidding me? It's a date, not a partnership. Back off. :s
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to know the person’s credit score? Are you looking for someone who’s credit card debt you can rack up? I know personally for me good credit hasn’t had any benefits. It’s been very good for close to two years or so, sometimes on the border of excellent and I still can’t finance a car. So what’s the use? Besides if I don’t have the cash to purchase upfront then I really shouldn’t be going out of my skin to purchase, so maybe it’s best this way.

The OP left the building last August, not sure they'll be back to answer your questions...