Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL of Bobbie the Wonder Dog, who walked a distance of at least 2,551 miles (4,105 km) through plains, desert, and mountains in the winter to return home to his family, swimming in rivers and even crossing the Continental Divide in the coldest part of winter.

f0kyii6ldvh5.jpg
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    That tarantulas are an endangered species :o

Which species? There are so many different species and they can't all be endangered
  • CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Which species? There are so many different species and they can't all be endangered

They didn't say, but I just asked google and this is what I found: Poecilotheira Fasciata, P. Ornata, P. Smithi, P. Subfusca, and P. Vittata (source - The Hill)
  • kayytyye
    kayytyye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    TIL not to mix my new anti anxiety medication with advil because it equals my stomach loathing me. :')
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options

They didn't say, but I just asked google and this is what I found: Poecilotheira Fasciata, P. Ornata, P. Smithi, P. Subfusca, and P. Vittata (source - The Hill)

Okay. Poor Poecilotheira species. I am relieved that none of my tarantulas fell into the endangered species category
  • poetic_cell
    poetic_cell Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Today I sternly reminded myself (for the hundredth time) that no one actually cares as much about me as I would like, or as much as I care about them

We are much alike. I wouldn't trade that personality trait of ours for anything. Not everyone is capable of loving and caring so very deeply. It's not easy, I know, but you learn to live with it. It does sound sad, but once you pass the point of letting those thoughts control your mind, you start seeing the beauty of your heart. Even those who matter to us the most don't "give" back what we think/feel we deserve.

:heart:
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    NASA has a page on their site where you can download models for 3D printing. Now I can print Hurricane Katrina just like I've always wanted to do.

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models/printable
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Armadillos can carry leprosy
  • cee134
    Options

The Black Plague still exists and it's also in North America.

http://www.businessinsider.com/plague-new-mexico-black-death-fleas-rodents-2017-6
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King’ is the only fantasy film in history to have ever won the Best Picture Oscar and holds the distinction of sweeping the highest number of nominations, with 11 out of 11 wins.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    There’s a pig monument near my town that was erected because some people saved a pig from a well. I bet they were nice people.
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

http://www.businessinsider.com/plague-new-mexico-black-death-fleas-rodents-2017-6

TIL I’m going to die!!! Thanks, cee :|
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    That I didn't have my alarm set for 4 am to work out. Lesson learned. Well played alarm clock.
  • cee134
    Options

Wow can they really that just boggled my mind! Gross!

Up to 95 percent of the population is genetically unsusceptible to contracting leprosy. And these days, it is highly treatable and not nearly as contagious as once believed. As for armadillos—the risk of transmission to humans is low. Only the nine-banded armadillo is known to carry the disease.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

It does, we have it at work (research) - yersinia pestis
    plus this little guy and a few friends are on my desk
    ukhnxgue0hq5.png

• Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, when I was stationed out in California, it seemed like every time we went to our main training area, a soldier would come back with the bubonic plague. We would get training on field sanitation and take precautions. It did keep the rate down and no one was ever terminal.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Not so much learn as just reminded I hate Sony video products and their MTS format.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    What a pickle back shot is. A shot of Jameson followed by a shot of pickle juice. I’m told it is amazingly awesome. Sounds disgusting to me.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    What a pickle back shot is. A shot of Jameson followed by a shot of pickle juice. I’m told it is amazingly awesome. Sounds disgusting to me.

I tried pickle juice and vodka...gross..AF
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    If you let your sbs sample sit in the pao for more than a few minutes, before titration... It will ruin the sample and you will have to walk all the way back to discharge for a new sample... Which is lame