Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    TIL - The candy Tootsie Roll was created as a summer candy because it does not melt in the heat and humidity.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Today I learned there are whole states where it’s illegal to pump your own gas. Never knew
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that when Bill Watterson turned down the opportunity to license and merchandise “Calvin and Hobbes,” it was estimated that he was turning down $300-400 million to maintain the integrity and purity of the comic.

ww2btnuzwj6q.jpg
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    TIL Why people give "The Finger" gesture. The middle finger is the penis and the curled fingers on either side are the testicles. By doing it, you are offering someone a phallic gesture. Basically go *kitten* yourself.
    I now like this much better than I did five minutes ago. Also, search Wikipedia for The Finger...it does not disappoint.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL about a Spife.

198w857xfzz0.jpg

cgxfwvijvwlb.jpg

@csbnga
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    TIL Why people give "The Finger" gesture. The middle finger is the penis and the curled fingers on either side are the testicles. By doing it, you are offering someone a phallic gesture. Basically go *kitten* yourself.
    I now like this much better than I did five minutes ago. Also, search Wikipedia for The Finger...it does not disappoint.

so that old tale about bandit archers getting their middle fingers cut off if they got caught is a fib?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    A hug on your left-hand side is more heart-felt than one on the right, scientists have found.

Like...literally? Because your heart is closer to the left?

nah your heart just points to the left, its actually in the middle.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    the emoji I thought was a little guy cheering all these years is actually drinking :drinker:
  • cee134
    Options
    A hug on your left-hand side is more heart-felt than one on the right, scientists have found.

According to the study, it has to do with our brain hemispheres. The right side being the side that controls emotions and the left side of the body, means a strong emotion drives us in that direction.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00426-018-0985-8

How do you hug someone on the left side only?
  • cee134
    Options
    the emoji I thought was a little guy cheering all these years is actually drinking :drinker:

He is cheering though. He's raising his glass to cheers.
  • cee134
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

According to the study, it has to do with our brain hemispheres. The right side being the side that controls emotions and the left side of the body, means a strong emotion drives us in that direction.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00426-018-0985-8

How do you hug someone on the left side only?

You're not going in for a kiss. Do you go to your left when you hug or to the right?

What? How do you hug? I hug like this:

2xhhxdns0pbv.gif
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I reconfigured a Chrome extension to change the Hug reaction back to Awesome on my screen. I just discovered it changes every instance of the word "hug" to "awesome" on a webpage.
  • cee134
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Yesterday I reconfigured a Chrome extension to change the Hug reaction back to Awesome on my screen. I just discovered it changes every instance of the word "hug" to "awesome" on a webpage.

That's hug.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    0ElUCPGh.jpg

Yes it is, I'm also seeing a thread called "My little cAwesome" now
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    0ElUCPGh.jpg

Yes it is, I'm also seeing a thread called "My little cAwesome" now

Humm, maybe you should work for mfp
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that when Bill Watterson turned down the opportunity to license and merchandise “Calvin and Hobbes,” it was estimated that he was turning down $300-400 million to maintain the integrity and purity of the comic.

ww2btnuzwj6q.jpg

Probably my favorite comic strip EVER.