Solar Eclipse (August 21, 2017) count down!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    This was the best pic I could get of it

Caught yourself a reflection

149t7o8u6ijp.png

When I looked I didn't see Saturn's pink ring in the sky
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    When you see the corona. It is amazing. Also saw Venus in the early afternoon.

I saw Uranus.

I saw your outer rings.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    When you see the corona. It is amazing. Also saw Venus in the early afternoon.

I saw Uranus.

I saw your outer rings.

Nice, aren't they?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Fake Solar Eclipse Glasses Are Flooding the Market: How to Stay Safe

The Federal Trade Commission has released a statement with safety guidelines for solar viewing glasses.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/planning-watch-eclipse-read-first?utm_source=govdelivery

Start by making sure that the glasses or viewers you’re considering have the manufacturer’s name and address printed somewhere on the product, and are certified as safe. The certification means the glasses and solar viewers have met an international safety standard and are safe for your eyes. Only consider products marked with ISO 12312-2, which means that the product has met the international safety standard. According to the American Astronomical Society, to date, only five manufacturers meet the standard for this certification:

American Paper Optics
    Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only)
    Rainbow Symphony
    Thousand Oaks Optical
    TSE 17

What else do you need to know to watch the eclipse safely?
    • Be sure your glasses or viewers are new: glasses that are more than 3 years old, or are wrinkled or scratched, won’t protect your eyes.
    • Read – and follow – the instructions carefully.
    • Don’t use homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses.
    • Never look directly at the sun without eclipse glasses or solar viewers that are certified as safe. (Again, look for ISO 12312-2 to be printed on the product.) It can lead to serious injury.
    • Don’t look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun through an unfiltered camera, telescope, binoculars, or other optical device – even using your eclipse glasses or viewer. Those optical devices concentrate the solar rays, will damage your eclipse glasses or viewer, and seriously injure your eyes.

Great post Cee! We have been selling the shiznit out of proper glasses at our Eyecare office. We are also very lucky that we are 20 minutes from a prime viewing spot and we are closing for awhile to go watch!

@cee134 agreed excellent post, thanks for posting it for those that may not have known or remembered the info!
    Purchased all of ours and extras from the Planetarium.

Saw some online comments to use at least saltines or strainers to view it rather than nothing. smh

Lots using nothing and taking straight shots with the camera.
    EEK, I value and cherish my eye sight far too much to risk it.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    This experience was the most spectacular thing I've ever witnessed.
    I'm so fortunate to have been smack dab in the line in one of the main viewing cities. <3

There are no words to even begin to describe what this experience was like, only brain memories which are exquisite! B) I understand now why so many traveled to our city & others to view it. NASA, so many others, great to see so many value a once in a lifetime experience. At least once in my lifetime here. :laugh:
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    i feel like the real takeaway from this whole rigmarole is, which of us will wake up tomorrow with super powers, and what will those powers be?

i'm hoping for Sylar's intuitive adaptation personally.

I would be able to pause time. I don't know if you know what Bernards watch is but I always wanted to be him. Sometimes just to appreciate good moments fully or sometimes just to come up with a really good comeback in an argument.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It was a very underwhelming experience here. Clouds and rain all day. A few glimpses of partial eclipse but total cloud cover during totality. I stood in slight darkness for a couple of minutes. Just clouds. Blah.
    I think the efforts of our small community to make it an event were outstanding though.

I did see great video from other places.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    i feel like the real takeaway from this whole rigmarole is, which of us will wake up tomorrow with super powers, and what will those powers be?

i'm hoping for Sylar's intuitive adaptation personally.

I would be able to pause time. I don't know if you know what Bernards watch is but I always wanted to be him. Sometimes just to appreciate good moments fully or sometimes just to come up with a really good comeback in an argument.

klHIbZ8.gif

cziimmu1qsd8.gif
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    kezodipgy29u.jpgnsfa5nfrsueo.jpghvhqh8erlgdj.jpg

• patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Finally got my glasses, this morning. (they were really cheap!) I'm ready for this eclipse thing...
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Only 7 years.

qpe2qj7huccf.jpg
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to be able to see about 84% totality, but stupid clouds ruined it. I couldn't see it after about 1430 EDT. But I did get to see some of it.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Stood outside looked up at the sky forgetting to put my glasses on till someone shouted at me to put them on :#

Let us know if you wake up tomorrow with blurred vision.

No blurred vision ! :D
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This progression of the partial solar eclipse took place over Ross Lake, in Northern Cascades National Park, Washington on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017.

zyra6bc4k3mf.jpg

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Only 7 years.

qpe2qj7huccf.jpg

I'm so up for this one! Riiiight on the edge of totality :sunglasses: