Solar Eclipse (August 21, 2017) count down!

Options

Replies

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Getting cloudy here in MD but I did get to a) use my glasses and b) see a nibble out of the sun! I'll go back out after 2 and see what I can('t) see!
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Starting to get darker here in Oklahoma
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    It's giving me an NHO
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I made a camera obscura from two shoe boxes taped together for length and have been going outside every ten minutes to watch the progress. I'm in Maryland so no totality here, but it's still pretty incredible to see.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    We'll only get 78% coverage where I live, but at least the clouds are staying off long enough for me to watch it. My home town is getting 100% totality and they can't see *kitten* because it's raining, lol.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stood outside looked up at the sky forgetting to put my glasses on till someone shouted at me to put them on :#
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Stood outside looked up at the sky forgetting to put my glasses on till someone shouted at me to put them on :#

Let us know if you wake up tomorrow with blurred vision.

Will do I'm already panicking! Feel like a total idiot ! :D
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just watched it. Very cool.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I just watched it in Odessa, MO with a bunch of middle school kids. It was the absolute highlight of my teaching career! What an amazing experience! Now, I've got to log the calories in my moon pie!
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

Let us know if you wake up tomorrow with blurred vision.

Will do I'm already panicking! Feel like a total idiot ! :D

If you do I'll start a gofundme to get you a new eyeball

Just the one though
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Everyone feel free to send me your eclipse glasses now that it's over. It's part of my retirement plan for 2024.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    We are in the 60 something percentage, but I was outside and there was a small dip in the natural light.. Almost like the light dimmed down for a second, and it feels great outside! I wish I could have experienced the total eclipse.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Everyone feel free to send me your eclipse glasses now that it's over. It's part of my retirement plan for 2024.

My sister and I (both teachers nearing retirement), just made that plan too! Be sure to tell us where you're going so we won't have a turf war down there!
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Some people at my work told me that they have an expiration date on them. Haha like it's a prescription
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yay the clouds went away! In Memphis we got 94% and what I found surprising was that even with only six percent of the sun it was still quite bright. The quality of the light became strange, like being indoors, but it was still far brighter than indoor lighting at max. Despite having official rated eclipse glasses I still feel nervous about my vision!

My husband made a pinhole camera out of two sheets of paper and played science guy with the local kids showing them how folks used to do it when he was a kid. Even the mailman stopped to look at the sky.

The other interesting thing was watching the birds. The little birdies didn't know what to make of it, but the flock of grackles and the two crows flew home to roost as if it was sunset, and the crickets started chirping.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

My sister and I (both teachers nearing retirement), just made that plan too! Be sure to tell us where you're going so we won't have a turf war down there!

I'm putting all my chips on Wappapello, Missouri. Got a good feeling about it.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Some people at my work told me that they have an expiration date on them. Haha like it's a prescription

Mine says to dispose of them after three years. :)