What's your weird weight loss tip?

Options

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Meditate when you feel hungry, or the urge to eat. I like the Calm app for meditation. Helps me avoid eating long enough that the desire fades, and whatever is making me anxious doesn't seem as important.
  • facetocallhome
    facetocallhome Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    This works so perfect, not just because of the taste. Wanting to snack in the evening is basically "I am bored because I am lazy". So I brush my teeth. Now... if I snack because I am too lazy to do something else I would have to do something else: brush my teeth again. Not worth the hassle.

Exactly! When my cravings are particularly strong and I start thinking, "I'm sure I can get past the minty taste", I remind myself that I'd have to brush my teeth all over again and it doesn't just seem worth it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stop following fad diets and just eat what will make me satisfied within my calorie limit.

I'm not an idiot, and know what the food pyramid looks like.

I also don't have any sort of guilt / problem about eating treats in moderation.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A lotta the people at my work complain about how they only ever binge eat when at the office, or how the "vending machine just calls them" and complain about their weight or get frustrated about how the machine doesn't take newer coins.

My one tip to avoid to avoid both binge/overeating at work and firing all my money in the vending machine is to not bring any money with me at all. I'll bring my own chocolate and allow myself one bar a day (doesn't exceed 100cals for a bar, and if I don't eat it then that's great!) and is 100-200cal less than anything in the machine and I'll break it into pieces to make it last longer. I can't buy more if I have no money and I can't feel bad for spending a load of money on junk.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    boredloser wrote: »
    A lotta the people at my work complain about how they only ever binge eat when at the office, or how the "vending machine just calls them" and complain about their weight or get frustrated about how the machine doesn't take newer coins.

My one tip to avoid to avoid both binge/overeating at work and firing all my money in the vending machine is to not bring any money with me at all. I'll bring my own chocolate and allow myself one bar a day (doesn't exceed 100cals for a bar, and if I don't eat it then that's great!) and is 100-200cal less than anything in the machine and I'll break it into pieces to make it last longer. I can't buy more if I have no money and I can't feel bad for spending a load of money on junk.

Similar to this, I pack a box of food for work. Anything in that box, I eat. I don't generally eat anything else. It's not a hard and fast rule, I'll vary it, eg for free cake, but in general I stick to it and it works well.
  • technicalmeow
    technicalmeow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Switch from fancy coffee to plain (and if you can take it, unsweetened) black coffee. Lattes are calorie bombs. Add cream, caramel syrup, or anything of the sort and you can easily jump 200kcal, if the Internet is to be trusted on this. From personal experience, ditching the cream and caramel latte in favour of a plain Americano every morning helped a lot. Plus... no sugar crash after lunch. Win!
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    1. Take one tsp apple cider vinegar.
    2. Add to 1/2 glass of water. Pour down the drain to deodorize and disinfect.
    3. Leave kitchen, step outside, walk 30 minutes.

I know 4 people who are currently doing this Apple cider vinegar thing. The one told me it burns her throat. Why? Why do this?
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I DVR my TV shows so I can fast forward past the pizza and burger ads.

Condiments can dress a salad nicely. Salt, pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, hot sauce or salsa all work.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Stop eating things you don't like, it saves a lot of calories. It's a weird thing to say because who on earth would eat things they don't like, but you will understand what I mean when dig into some stale chips, wrinkle your nose in disgust, and for some reason beyond comprehension 2 minutes later you reach for more. Another example is when there is cake on the counter, you take a slice, take a bite and think to yourself "it's dry and not tasty at all" then proceed to eat the rest of it. It's mind boggling.

I recognize that behaviour unfortunately, although it hasn't happened for a while. It's worse than just wasted calories. If I continue to eat, it sends the message "I'm ok with mistreating myself". The opposite of the attitude of self-care that I try to foster.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me, I realized that I had to stop nickle and diming myself all day. What does that mean? I was slipping in little snacks here and there, logging them, then realizing that now I have to cut back at meals to stay in my deficit. From continued advice I read here about making protein the priority, I readjusted and feel more satiated between meals. I still have one of my favourite treats sometime during the day, but I don't feel the urgency or need for them throughout. I know grazing works for so many people but I need more structured times for snacks and meals to avoid going off the rails.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Apart from a splash of milk in my tea, I don't drink calories. I quite like fruit juice, hot chocolate, chai lattes and cocktails but found them all very, very easy to give up. I might have between 2 and 5 drinks in that category in a given month, depending on what I do socially. Just drinking water and tea leaves me lots of extra calories for food :)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    My 2 secrets. Both taste really good (to me) and seem to be helpful.

Metamucil cinnamon cookies (to keep the train rolling and a good snack) definitely worth the 100 cals, and idealboost black cherry drink in the early afternoon at work to get a small amount of caffeine.... The boost is a little pricey but I really only end up using about 1-2 packets max a week as I pour it over crushed ice... only about 2 cals. I don't like plain water, and I replaced the cup of ice coffee I was having in the afternoon with this a few weeks ago. Really enjoy it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I didn't know you could bake with metamucil. Isn't that a little risky? I mean, if you don't drink a big glass of water with the cookies, they could clog you right up.

(ETA I'm assuming metamucil is basically the same as other psyllium/isphagula products, which are usually made up with a lot of water before taking them).
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    dhooton78 wrote: »
    I weigh myself why I'm holding my cat. I let him go and the scale drops by about 60lbs instantly.

Huge cat you got there...