What's your weird weight loss tip?

Options

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Stop eating things you don't like, it saves a lot of calories. It's a weird thing to say because who on earth would eat things they don't like, but you will understand what I mean when dig into some stale chips, wrinkle your nose in disgust, and for some reason beyond comprehension 2 minutes later you reach for more. Another example is when there is cake on the counter, you take a slice, take a bite and think to yourself "it's dry and not tasty at all" then proceed to eat the rest of it. It's mind boggling.

I can completely agree with this one as well.. kids leftovers! You feel bad about throwing away food, but it's so not worth it to eat it! Only eat food that you truly like or want.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    Along these lines, pay attention to things you only eat with lots of condiments. I had this realization the last time my husband made broccoli for dinner and I dunked every piece in mayo - it doesn't matter how healthy broccoli is, I just don't really like it, so I always try and disguise the taste. Weirdly, I've always thought I liked broccoli, but no, I just like the mayo delivery system.

Good advice. I use a tablespoon of lowfat caesar dressing on my veggies to brighten them up.
    On the metamucil. I don't BAKE with it. I buy the cookies at the store and usually eat them with my coffee. I don't think they are dangerous tho without liquid. ;) No warning on the package to that effect.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've never come across that product, I don't think you can get it here. I'm guessing the psyllium in it must be quite a small amount, or else already rehydrated in the mix before you eat it.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sugar free foods! OMG. Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free syrup. Swiss Miss light. Splenda in a smoothie.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Oh, I've never come across that product, I don't think you can get it here. I'm guessing the psyllium in it must be quite a small amount, or else already rehydrated in the mix before you eat it.

Amazon sells them. US. Not sure where you are from.f7g6nmdlvx20.png

• LivinlLifepurple
    LivinlLifepurple Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cardio.. and I like to do random sets of sit ups during the day (500-600 for the entire day) and around 200 at a time..depends how far I can go .. so basically lots of cardio (its a good distraction too!) and a low calorie intake.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    Stop eating things you don't like, it saves a lot of calories. It's a weird thing to say because who on earth would eat things they don't like, but you will understand what I mean when dig into some stale chips, wrinkle your nose in disgust, and for some reason beyond comprehension 2 minutes later you reach for more. Another example is when there is cake on the counter, you take a slice, take a bite and think to yourself "it's dry and not tasty at all" then proceed to eat the rest of it. It's mind boggling.

I can completely agree with this one as well.. kids leftovers! You feel bad about throwing away food, but it's so not worth it to eat it! Only eat food that you truly like or want.

That reminded me of another one. Eating food your body will use to add excess fat is just as wasteful as throwing it in the trash. Game changer for me. I compost now so if my leftovers are not feeding me they feed the garden.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    quatermore wrote: »
    Learning to tolerate the sensation of mild hunger.

Or even enjoy it. It's the best spice, they do say.
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options

That's an even better way to deal with mild hunger. I'm employing that technique right now! Thanks
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

That's an even better way to deal with mild hunger. I'm employing that technique right now! Thanks

Do tell. Is ice cream involved? :p
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The weirdest tip I have, has to be a cavalcade of all those concepts that I myself think about as "that's crazy talk". The common theme is that it goes against everything we "know" about weight management, healthy eating and healthy body and mind. I guess it sums up to: Logic and reason and common sense applies to this area too.
    • Don't do anything you can't see yourself doing happily forever.
    • No food is healthy or unhealthy - good nutrition means getting in enough of everything every day, and not too much of anything over time. There is no perfect diet.
    • No food, pill, potion, or anything else like that "burns" fat. Exercise, and just being alive, burns fat.
    • There are no "fattening" foods.
    • Weighing yourself daily, or weighing your food and tracking calorie intake, doesn't mean that you have an eating disorder.
    • I can't control my weight, but as long as I control my food intake, I have a stable, normal, healthy weight.
    • Weight management is simple, but not always easy.
    • The process of weight loss has to be seen separately from the methods. The process (CICO) is universal, the methods are individual.
    • I can say no to food.
    • Healthy food can be delicious. I mean really delicious, not "mouthwatering lean" (which is an oxymoron).
    • Cooking doesn't have to be difficult. I'm a great cook.
    • To have a normal weight, I have to eat, move and think like a normal weight person.
    • Follow the money. Be critical to every "tip". Don't believe everything you read.
    • We can do anythong for a short while. What matters is what we can do forever.
    • Don't attach morality to food. If you are overweight, you have eaten too much. That's not a moral judgement, it's stating the obvious.
    • Our minds are both clever and stupid. Our brains play a lot of tricks on us, but we can find ways to "fool" ourselves in ways that enables us to improve and maintain good health.
    • Work WITH your body and mind, not against them.
    • Exercise burns a negligible amount of calories, but staying active regulates appetite and mood, which in turn makes sticking to appropriate calories easier.
    • Motivation as it's used today, is a buzzword, you are in reality looking for someone to lose the weight for you. The reason why you want to lose weight, is your motivation.
    • Weight management has nothing (or just very little) to do with willpower. Work on mindset, habits and structure instead.
    • If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less. It's not that hard if you accept this and decide that you want to eat less.
    • You can eat whatever you want and as much as you want, as long as that is what gets you to and keeps you at a normal weight and in good health.
    • How much to eat to lose weight, IS defined, it's somewhere between maintenance calories and "too hungry, I quit". That's enough to lose weight, but you have to do that, and it's hard enough. Don't make a necessary and hard thing harder by doing unnecessary things. Don't go on a diet. Your diet is just what you eat. Decide for yourself, freely, what to eat.
    • Peruse the forums, read books, watch TEDtalks, think, experiment, be open and critical. Learn, love, live.

Bumping
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My weird tip: Tell everyone you're losing weight so you will feel ashamed if you give up. Especially tell somebody who won't believe you- defiance is an awesome motivation.
  • LindaGilpin59
    LindaGilpin59 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't tell yourself you can't have something but that you will have it later. sometimes the treats are gone before you decide to have one.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Probably not really "weird weight loss tips" but still:

* When i go out just for a (longer) walk, i try not to take a wallet or card with me. I sometimes can have sudden cravings, and if at one such a moment i happen to pass by a grocery store or a gas station, then...
    Of course that can be harder in countries where phone payments, like Apple Pay or Android Pay work.

* if i feel like having a dessert at night and it still somewhat fits into my calorie goal i'll have a pack of protein pudding (like Oreo one by Fast which we have here) with something like unsweetened almond milk. Quite sweet, so works fine as dessert, moderate amount of calories (below 150) plus extra protein for the day.
    fast_pudding_cookie_mockup.jpg
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Greek yoghurt with a little mayo can taste as good or better than mayo alone, and saves a lot of calories.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Brush your teeth, floss and waterpik after dinner (or all meals if you want) . It really makes me less likely to eat again when I have just worked on getting my teeth sparkling clean.