I Have Noticed Many People Returning, Having Regained Their Weight ...

Options

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jrochest wrote: »
    ... people who keep the weight off for any realistic amount of time are those who carefully calculate their TDEE, keep track of their calorie intake, keep a food diary, weigh and measure their portions and weigh themselves regularly...
    ...It takes more that just tracking calories and keeping a food diary for someone to flag your habits as disordered. There is also a MENTALITY about food that goes along with the actions. It’s more than the sum of its parts.

If someone makes sure to balance their bank accounts and make sure their bills are paid and credit cards are paid off, it doesn’t mean they are obsessed with money in an unhealthy way. If means they have chosen to take an active, hands on approach to their financial health.

Agreeing that it is the mentality around the action that makes it disordered or not.

And you beat me to the financial organization example :)
    Taking the financial organization example to its logical equivalent:

There would be nothing wrong with someone who carefully calculated their Total Daily Monetary Expenditures,
    kept careful track of all their expenses and of all income from anywhere (including pennies found on the street), logged every bit of cash they spent in a ledger before each transaction, balanced their primary checking account nightly, and reviewed all their bills and accounts weekly in order to track their net worth.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with anyone who did all that. But some of us might think that perhaps that person was taking their financial health a little too seriously, and others might wonder whether that person was likely to be any fun at parties.

(Also, if the only people who stayed out of debt for any realistic amount of time were those who did all of the above, a whole lot of people would be in a whole lot of financial trouble.)

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I was average weight. got bad mental health, went on medicine that causes extreme hunger and weight gain. Was on a high dose two months. Now finally dose is down so I can lose again (but I have to eat strictly 1200 calories and low gi with this medicine to lose anything as I'm still feeling hungry).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I was average weight. got bad mental health, went on medicine that causes extreme hunger and weight gain. Was on a high dose two months. Now finally dose is down so I can lose again (but I have to eat strictly 1200 calories and low gi with this medicine to lose anything as I'm still feeling hungry).

Let me guess. Mirtazipine?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I guess everyone is different. I lost about 18kg in 2014 and kept it off until last year. When my mom died of cancer quite cruelly and my husband decided to leave me, me not finding work and being stuck in a position I did't want to be in. As there was no counselling available on the NHS (I wasn't suicidal enough) and I didn't have the money to go private I found help in crisps. The 7 or so kg I'd put back on are almost gone again now and I feel better.

I’m really happy you’re in a better place now. :heart:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. I'm approaching maintenance soon, and this is really helpful perspective and insight.

I am a lifer. Been maintaining my loss within 5 lbs for about 4-5 years. But only because I don’t let up. I weigh my food and have a food scale at work. I can’t, I know Eye-balling portions won’t work for me. I don’t care what people think or say at this point (I get it all: I have an eating disorder, I’m unhealthy, I can splurge, etc.)

One of my NSV was my annual trip to visit my obese sister. The year before she asked me how I lost the weight (over 100 pounds) and I told her about the food scale. She said she didn’t have time for that. This year I watched her pull out a food scale and weigh her food. She’s still overweight, but doing great! I said nothing, but inside I was doing handstands. :smiley:

ETA: I’m also a daily weighed and I use a weight-trending app.

That's awesome! I love the name btw.
  • emjohnson03
    emjohnson03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This thread is wonderful!

I was super fit 4 years ago. I had just got out of a relationship and basically crashed myself into it and I really crushed it. I won a fitness challenge at work and I was down to 19% body fat.

But of course by fall of that year, the weight came back and I was back the weight I have been for most of my adult life (130-135) on a 5'5 frame.

And then somehow this past year, the weight crept up and kept going. I had never been in that space before. I was drinking wine every night and eating bad stuff for lunch and dinner. And always fruit juice and soda. I had my trainer get me on the scale and I wondered how I got there. And then I realized it was because for the first time in my life, I was using food to medicate my sadness, mostly over a poor year end work review and not able to find someone yet to spend my life with. It really hit me that I was sad and food was the go to.

The number spurned me to action, and in some weird way, I'm grateful for the experience. For the first time the sadness and disappointment became physical and it reminded me that it's more ok to feel that way and I understood what so many people go through.

I had never had to think about my weight and suddenly there it was. All 30+ pounds to lose.

I think that we all have our challenges and I'm so in awe of everyone who has overcome such obstacles to start again.

I was so scared to leave my romantic relationship because I didn't want to "start over". And now that I have been on a weight loss journey for the first time, "stating over" isn't a bad thing. It's part of your life story.

• sugarandspice0404
    Options
    I have been unhappy with my weight since about the age of 14, and initially started MFP when I was 16, without much success (mainly through inaccurate logging). I managed to lose about 23lb of my 40lb goal before moving overseas in September last year. This meant no gym, no living with anyone else, and a whole lot of yummy food at my disposal! I ignored it until about December last year when I purchased a scale and realised I was essentially back where I started. Since returning in January, I have been going to the gym more or less consistently but have also been bingeing and significantly overeating to the point where there hasn't been any effect on my weight. I'm trying to get back into logging my foods, which I found was the most helpful thing I did to lose weight.

I'm also trying to focus on body composition and gaining strength; when I look back at pictures I took when I was at my lightest weight, there is no muscle definition - just a smaller version of what I once was! By starting strength training, I'm hoping that I can reduce my obsession with numbers and focus more on how I look and feel.
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’ve returned after leaving for a bit. Gained about 10 pounds after a job change and moving into my new house.
    Lots of stress and life in general gets in the way.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am also one of those who lost weight and now I'm back. I lost almost 30 pounds at a steady pace, and believe that logging and having a great support system through MFP friends helped with my success. I then got pregnant, and tried to stay on the wagon but ended up eating off plan, but also stopped pretty much all workouts, at the end of my pregnancy due to some pelvis issues could hardly even walk to my car after work, ended up in a state of emotional eating gone crazy, gaining much more than I should have.

After being previously extremely consistent, after this baby I've been back to MFP time after time again. I believe you can't make excuses if you really want to get to your goal weight, but I'm into the single mom - tired, busy, no time, no money excuses again, and it seems much harder this time around to mentally commit to it, but I will get there!

I love reading everyone's reasons here, we are all human and have ups and downs, and reminds me why I just love the MFP community.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    For me, I got pregnant again and used it as an excuse to eat ALL the foods. I gained about 65 lbs. It was ridiculous.