Respect in the gym

Options
Hey ladies (and gents)!

I went to my college gym today to do a leg circuit. My circuit is squats, deadlifts, lunges, leg extensions, abductor, adductor, leg press, and calf raises. Every move 10-12 reps, 3 sets total. Since I do circuits, sometimes I have trouble getting back onto the power rack for my second set of squats. Today a man walked up to me after my first set of squats, while I was dead lifting (as in, he interrupted me completely) and asked if I was still using the power rack. Yes I was and my weights were still on there to show that. I kindly explained my routine and that I would be coming back to it 2 more times every 10-15 minutes or so. I offered to let him work in a set while I worked on the rest of my first circuit but he shook his head and proceeded to say how he had bands and things to set up. I looked at him with a "what do you want me to do" face and he just kept staring back. Ok....I told him "let me finish my deadlifts and I will do all my squats now, then."

I assumed he screwed up my workout routine because he was in a hurry. No. Once he got on the power rack he stayed there for at least 30 minutes, wandering on his phone and talking to people.

Seriously?

I was doing fast circuits, straight through, no stops. And this guy felt like his workout was more important than mine and even told me that "you can't really do circuit training at gyms." BS!!! Also I can bet you he would have never done that to a guy. Ever.

Ladies, do you ever feel like guys don't take you seriously at the gym?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Well, circuits CAN be inconsiderate of other gym members, but I do think that offering to let him set in while you were on other stations was the right thing to do. Even with setting up bands, it sounds like it could have worked out just fine.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    There were only 3 people there otherwise I would have taken my weights off the power rack and asked to set in if someone was on it. I have found that it is hard sometimes to get guys to let me get a set in. Come on guys. It takes me less than 5 minutes to get a set in. Lets share please. And to me, setting up bands and monopolizing a machine for 30 minutes is way more inconsiderate than doing circuits and letting people set in if they need to.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    At my gym, squat racks don't get used alot and very rarely for squats. So when I'm using it and somebody asks, I always offer them to work a set while I rest and then I do a set while they rest. Its kinda nice, makes it go faster imho.

If you don't wanna do the in between set, thats fine, theres other equipment you can use. But don't expect me to leave my workout just for you. If you're busy, don't come. Easy.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post correctly then I think he took advantage of the situation but I'm not sure you were doing much better. Are you saying you expect the squat rack to stay reserved for you while you leave and go do other exercises that are part of your circuit? At my gym if you tried that you would get called out by any number of people.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    It's considered rude to do circuit training in the free weight room when others are waiting for the equipment. You are basically 'hogging' the gym.

except that she was hogging and she offered to let him work in between.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's considered rude to do circuit training in the free weight room when others are waiting for the equipment. You are basically 'hogging' the gym.

except that she was hogging and she offered to let him work in between.

And that is the key part. I wouldn't mind at all if someone were doing that but didn't have a problem with me working between their circuit. I'd even load/unload the bar for them as needed.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    How many power racks are there in your gym?

Was he lifting and taking breaks between sets? When I lift really heavy, I take 2-3 minute breaks.

10 or 15 minutes between sets is a lot of time to leave weights set up on a rack. You are complaining that he used the rack for a total of 30 minutes when by your own admission, you intended to use it 3 times for a total of 45 minutes.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    My points is, I had no problem removing the weights so he could get a set or two in before my next circuit. I am not sure how that option isn't fair. It wasn't good enough for him.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    Again, I don't usually leave them on at all. But I am glad I did or I wouldn't have been able to get back on it. He was still on it when I left.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    OP, this was a you problem, not a females in the gym problem. You don't get to tie up half the gyms equipment while you complete your routine. If the gym is relatively empty, you may be able to pull it off. But that is luck, not something you're entitled to
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    Why was he allowed to use it for so long then? How is a circuit any less valid than whatever he was doing with his bands. And why couldn't we just share?
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    How many power racks are there in your gym?

Was he lifting and taking breaks between sets? When I lift really heavy, I take 2-3 minute breaks.

10 or 15 minutes between sets is a lot of time to leave weights set up on a rack. You are complaining that he used the rack for a total of 30 minutes when by your own admission, you intended to use it 3 times for a total of 45 minutes.

And he could have jumped on during any of that time.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    in my opinion both you and the guy were selfish.....how can you offer him to work around your training? If I'm understanding it correctly? yes its polite but really its not your place and could seem offensive considering he pays to be there just as well as you do...you should have just done your workout after he was done or put together another suitable routine. Not everyone plays together well its a fact of life.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    Guys. When there is one machine it's pretty common to take turns. Also, pretty sure I wasn't selfish because I went and did all my squats so he could have the machine. I am just saying I wish he would have respected my work out too and taken turns with me. That's all.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, this was a you problem, not a females in the gym problem. You don't get to tie up half the gyms equipment while you complete your routine. If the gym is relatively empty, you may be able to pull it off. But that is luck, not something you're entitled to

^This. Totally this
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Circuit training belongs somewhere other than a free weight room. I don't know where and I honestly don't care, but just not there. People are there to lift heavy weights and you don't do that jumping from station to station and interfering with other lifters.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Circuits in the free weights would get me excommunicated from my gym. That's just the way it is.

ETA, many gyms offer circuit training classes, and so do crossfit gyms.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    OP: We hear what your saying but I don't think the majority here agrees
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Guys. When there is one machine it's pretty common to take turns. Also, pretty sure I wasn't selfish because I went and did all my squats so he could have the machine. I am just saying I wish he would have respected my work out too and taken turns with me. That's all.

you both have the same membership, right? if so, i'm pretty sure you're both equally entitled to use the equipment.