Respect in the gym

Options

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you walk off, you are chit out of luck in my book, but I always glad to work out with others.

PS- I hate when people do not rerack weights
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    OP: "Also I can bet you he would have never done that to a guy. Ever. "

What proof do you have of that? I'm sure he would still be just as annoyed with your behavior if you were a guy. No need to play the "gender" card here.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ah the gender card, my favourite!

Personally I never had problems doing little circuits in my gym, if someone else needed the machine I was using, I'd simply move onto something else until they were done. And if they were spending 10 minutes on their phone, I'd politely ask if I can jump in for a few reps while they...rested or whatever?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree, friends. I will be more conscious about not specifically reserving a machine. But I still think asking to alternate sets is fair. You may all continue to post but I don't like the negativity so I am out. :) have a good night.

People see different things in different ways. I'm sure you and the guy at the gym both saw the situation differently and meant no harm...it happens.

As someone who does circuits, you may no be able to objectively see how other people perceive it. I find it extremely annoying when people reserve a piece of equipment while they're off doing something else. When you decide to do circuit training or supersets you KNOW you're taking a gamble that you may not be able to get back and forth to every area you want. Because you KNOW you aren't the only one there. I usually do a bit of back and forth to let my muscles recover a little longer without wasting time, but I for sure do all my work at the power rack at once, take my stuff, and move on.
    The answer is to either not do a circuit or take your chances. You don't get to claim the entire gym as your own and then lend parts at as you see fit.

If I makes you feel any better, that guy sounds like he was being douchey, as well. But that could've been strictly brought about by annoyance with your behavior.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    At least he asked if you were done. If I watched you take off and start something else somewhere else in the gym, I'm going to assume that you were done, and just really inconsiderate to not re-rack your plates, and I'm going to set up and start my sets.

Now, if I watch someone do one set, leave the bar loaded and start something else, I may watch for a minute, but if you do one set on the other thing then and not come back to the rack and instead go start something else...well, then I don't really have the time or patience to wait for you to do whatever it is you are doing. I'm still not going to ask, because at this point I don't care what your "routine" is, I'm going to do my sets and you can wait...because I'm not moving until I'm done.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

Is it rude to do a circuit of two exercises / 5 sets in which the first exercise is something commonly in demand during peak hours, like a smith machine or cable pulley, and the second exercise is something quick using body weight or dumbbells (not in demand) a few feet away? Anyone can work in on the machine any time and there are no rests / delays between exercises. The full five sets take about 8 minutes.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

Is it rude to do a circuit of two exercises / 5 sets in which the first exercise is something commonly in demand during peak hours, like a smith machine or cable pulley, and the second exercise is something quick using body weight or dumbbells (not in demand) a few feet away? Anyone can work in on the machine any time and there are no rests / delays between exercises. The full five sets take about 8 minutes.

I would have no issues with this. And if someone wanted to, would let them set in while using the dumbbells.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    If you walk away from the machine it is no longer yours. period.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

if you're standing right there and you're only going to be occupying the equipment for a total of less than 10 mins this isn't a problem at all. it's actually less time than a typical meathead like myself would be at that station
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Another etiquette question: the gym has only one squat rack- what about doing two or three different types of squats with rests in between three sets each? I recently waited almost thirty minutes - and it's hard to "work in " when you are easily fifteen inches shorter!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

I don't consider that rude. Supersets are common and most importantly...quick. And there's no confusion - if I see you hop of a machine to do some push-ups and then go right back to the machine, I get it. If you leave the machine to go all the way to the elliptical...I'm probably going to assume you're done.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Another etiquette question: the gym has only one squat rack- what about doing two or three different types of squats with rests in between three sets each? I recently waited almost thirty minutes - and it's hard to "work in " when you are easily fifteen inches shorter!

Why would you do 3 sets of 3 kinds of squats back to back? Why not do just one really excellent set [edit 3 excellent sets of one kind of squat], and rotate between them on different days?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

Nope that's definitely okay in my book. You're probably not taking any longer between sets than someone who's lifting heavy and resting between sets. Super sets are different to circuit training
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

Nope that's definitely okay in my book. You're probably not taking any longer between sets than someone who's lifting heavy and resting between sets. Super sets are different to circuit training

I don't do circuit training, but I have in the past done super sets (it is a very common aspect of most beginner programs such as NROL). Now I generally do most of my sets for each exercise all together, but then may go back and do some more sets later (as long as it isn't in use). Like I may do 3-4 sets, but then later do 1-2 more sets before I call it a day.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree too OP. I think you were being inconsiderate to expect the equipment to just be kept reserved while you do your routine that involves other exercises. You are not alone in the gym.

The other guy was inconsiderate for occupying the equipment for half an hour and/or being on the phone. On the other hand it doesn't really matter too much if nobody was waiting for him. So depending on circumstances it may have been fine. If other people needed it he should hurry up and get out.

So both of you could learn to be more considerate to others.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I've seen that before and it's annoying. Always ask the person how many sets they have left so they know that you are waiting. Sometimes they'll cut short the additional work or use another piece of equipment. Sometimes not. That one is dicey. I've spent entire workouts in the rack (squats, rows, OHP, curls) but if someone needs it I'll get out of there after squats and change the other exercises up if need be.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, You are wrong. You cannot circuit train and hold equipment hostage while you are not using it, unless you went for a quick bathroom visit or something. Who taught you gym etiquette ?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I mostly use a very small gym at work (one rack, one cable machine, one set of dumbbells, one of each type of weights machine...) and I do circuits.

So obviously there's a clash of style if someone is doing multiple sets at one station. Which means I have to be flexible - if the rack is in use I might use a machine or cable, if the barbells are in use I'll use dumbbells, if lat pull down is in use I'll do pull ups.
    As soon as I've finished my set that equipment is then free.

Doing circuits in a pure free weight environment is a pain in the bum for the majority of users.

And it's not a gender thing either - I've had the "I'm using that" comment when people think they can reserve a position and leave it unused for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. (The response is "and now I'm using it and you can have it back when I'm done".)

In a shared gym you have to share and have some consideration - two way street.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm glad my gym has 6 platforms with racks, and is there is talk of plans to add another 6. It will be awesome, 2 people doing c&J, snatches and maybe even squats, and 10 people benching or doing curls all in peaceful harmony!