Respect in the gym

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree, friends. I will be more conscious about not specifically reserving a machine. But I still think asking to alternate sets is fair. You may all continue to post but I don't like the negativity so I am out. :) have a good night.

No one is being negative they just are not agreeing with you and telling you why. If you want to do circuits in the free weight area then it is up to you to work around the other members.

Maybe this guy was taking extra long in the rack on purpose. That would be lame but maybe he has had to wait on you before and was trying to prove a point. Who knows.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree, friends. I will be more conscious about not specifically reserving a machine. But I still think asking to alternate sets is fair. You may all continue to post but I don't like the negativity so I am out. :) have a good night.

So basically if we don't agree we are being negative. ummmm.....ookkkaayyy.

Also, you hog an area and get upset when someone essentially does the same and complain that he's wrong but you don't see you do the same thing.....and then when people point that out you bail on the pretense that everyone is being negative since they aren't totally on your side. Seems legit.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    OP, you find the exchanges on this thread to be aggressive? Really???

I do circuits all the time. Did one yesterday, in fact. Difference is I used one piece of equipment in one area. If someone wanted that particular trx strap they were SOL, but the rest of the gym was available to use without them having to ask me for permission first.

totally this.

eg of a circuit just using DBs: a) 1-legged RDL + 1-armed DB row; swap L & R; b) split squat + OHP; c) reverse lunge d) bench press. (single leg movements = ^ recovery while you're keeping moving)

on the cable machine: a) kickbacks + tricep press downs b) pull-throughs + cable crossovers / horizontal row (i usually do a) OR b) bc lots of people want to use the cable machine, and then move on to something else)

circuits the way you're doing them = hogging. Just do straight sets. Or ok, do some burpees or something next to one machine during rests for ONE exercise, then move on to another exercise.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    actually circuit people thinking all the equipment can sit ideally while they do their circuit are the ones disrespecting the gym. If you want to circuit train do it when the gym is dead.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree, friends. I will be more conscious about not specifically reserving a machine. But I still think asking to alternate sets is fair.

lol. what you think, and what consensus reality is, are different.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I do circuits all the time. Did one yesterday, in fact. Difference is I used one piece of equipment in one area. If someone wanted that particular trx strap they were SOL, but the rest of the gym was available to use without them having to ask me for permission first.

It sounds like she was saying that the other guy wanted to kick her out of the rack, not willing to work sets in with her, and he wasn't even using it for the barbell, he just wanted to do some trx exercise that he could have done elsewhere. Maybe I misunderstood?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

no one was negative everyone answered your post, they just didn't agree for the most part .....Ciao
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It sounds like she was saying that the other guy wanted to kick her out of the rack, not willing to work sets in with her, and he wasn't even using it for the barbell, he just wanted to do some trx exercise that he could have done elsewhere. Maybe I misunderstood?

No. TRX was mentioned by Dav and doesn't use barbells. The guy in the story did use the rack.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I mean-mug at the gym. Nobody doesn't take me seriously. :laugh:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Circuit training in a public gym is just an excuse for someone to take my turn away from me. :explode:

Circuit training at your home gym, totally acceptable. :glasses:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

No. TRX was mentioned by Dav and doesn't use barbells. The guy in the story did use the rack.

In the Op she said he was not doing squats, but was setting something up with bands.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    hmmm when I use the squat rack I use it for about 20 minutes at time for squats and deadlifts, so I can understand why he may not want to just do a set in between yours.

However, I strongly believe that when you're in the weight room you need to be using the equipment and not hogging it while talking on your phone or to another gym member. That is some annoying *kitten* right there.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

In the Op she said he was not doing squats, but was setting something up with bands.

Yeah, but he was still using the rack and not doing TRX.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    hmmm when I use the squat rack I use it for about 20 minutes at time for squats and deadlifts, so I can understand why he may not want to just do a set in between yours.

However, I strongly believe that when you're in the weight room you need to be using the equipment and not hogging it while talking on your phone or to another gym member. That is some annoying *kitten* right there.

Yeah, it sounds like the other guy was being annoying as well. He set up bands and then wandered around on his phone. Sometimes college gyms are different from regular gyms (the stuff that goes on in them). I used to work at one, that's why I say that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yeah, but he was still using the rack and not doing TRX.

I see. I just figured bands was the generic term for the trx cords.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's a learning experience. You can just flat out say no to someone and tell them they can wait 5 minutes until you're done. I don't really care because I've learned to modify my routine if someone is waiting and I can just move to something else and come back to it. If I'm close to being done I'll just tell them how many sets I have left or they could work in sets of their own.

Honestly, most people don't bother me because I'm firmly zoned into my lifts with sweat dripping down and I feel like it's a natural deterrent for people.

I understand you're frustrated, but you put yourself in the position of being frustrated. You could've asked to work back in after giving up the squat rack or talked to a gym employee.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OP, this was a you problem, not a females in the gym problem. You don't get to tie up half the gyms equipment while you complete your routine. If the gym is relatively empty, you may be able to pull it off. But that is luck, not something you're entitled to

This.

I never have an issue with a guy taking my space at a gym or giving me **** about it.

But I also don't do circuits like that... while I DO do circuits- I don't do them in a way that ties up equipment where I'm walking away from it- I do my other training RIGHT THERE. I rarely tie up more than one piece of equipment and I make sure I'm willing to either A. change my routine- or B. have a back up exercise in case my piece of equipment gets bogarted.

if you want to do squats with your abductor thing (really? you do those??) then grab the dumbbells and do them RIGHT NEXT TO THE machine. It's way easier AND you spend less time walking AND less ti tying up equipment- because no one is going to fight you over the ab/ad-ductors. Seriously.

Except tiny Asian ladies. Because those are the only people at my gym who use them. (in dresses... swear to god)

Either find a way to get in good so you can come after hours- or find a way to do your training that doesn't hog up the equipment.

Edit- other guy was a douchnozzel too.... next time just say no.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I understand you're frustrated, but you put yourself in the position of being frustrated. You could've asked to work back in after giving up the squat rack.

I agree here. She could work in her sets with him. It would give him a longer time of using the squat rack. I'm not sure I see the difference, as long as she is willing to be flexible and wait (maybe that's her problem).
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you are not currently using a machine or rack, then it should be available for others to use...period.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    So why are you circuit training, out of curiosity?

It decreases rest time which increases cardio value. More bang for the buck for me.

That's why everyone disagrees with you. I got to the gym to lift not do cardio. I do cardio out on the pavement. If you want to do both at the same time then go somewhere where that is appropriate, like a crossfit box.
    ^^^This