Respect in the gym

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Happens everywhere. Itsnnwhy I stopped using most machines.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    So why are you circuit training, out of curiosity?
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I asked him if he wanted to take turns and offered to take off my weights for him. You guys are all super aggressive. Yikes. I am going to keep circuit training because its good for my body, and continue to think it is rude for people to be on one machine for 30 minutes. Sharing is caring ya'll.
  • svanhoecke
    Options

It decreases rest time which increases cardio value. More bang for the buck for me.
  • whierd
    Options
    I asked him if he wanted to take turns and offered to take off my weights for him. You guys are all super aggressive. Yikes. I am going to keep circuit training because its good for my body, and continue to think it is rude for people to be on one machine for 30 minutes. Sharing is caring ya'll.

No one here is being aggressive, they are just giving their opinion.

Why is circuit training better for your body than doing all 3 sets of a particular exercise before moving on to the next? I can see some benefit of alternating upper/lower/push/pull exercises as it allows a set of muscles to recover while working a different set and keeping your heart rate up, but you were doing all lower body, right?
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing your circuit in the rack, or keep your towel wrapped around the bar
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

It decreases rest time which increases cardio value. More bang for the buck for me.

That's why everyone disagrees with you. I got to the gym to lift not do cardio. I do cardio out on the pavement. If you want to do both at the same time then go somewhere where that is appropriate, like a crossfit box.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

Ladies, do you ever feel like guys don't take you seriously at the gym?

I have never had that experience. People are busy doing their workouts. Yes there are some *kitten* but that is everywhere. Most guys like me working out around them.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    OP, this was a you problem, not a females in the gym problem. You don't get to tie up half the gyms equipment while you complete your routine. If the gym is relatively empty, you may be able to pull it off. But that is luck, not something you're entitled to

Truth.

I don't really get how you can say you "offered" to let him get some sets in while you were doing circuits. The power rack doesn't belong to you. If you're going to use it and then leave for 15 minutes, you're done with it, as far as I'm concerned. That's as nonsensical as setting up the bar and telling everyone who is waiting to use it "Hey, I'm going to run next door and grab a coffee. There better not be anyone in this rack when I get back." Unless your name is on the outside of the building or something, who the hell are you?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As a female, I've never had an issue with guys in the weight room. If I ask politely they usually let me work in if they're planning on being a while with the equiptment and their rest allows for it.

On the odd occasion I circuit train with weights I do it out of the way and it's usually lighter weights and lots of reps (more of a cardio workout).

I don't think I'd respond well if anyone, male or female, wanted to reserve the squat rack while they went and did a number of other exercises. I'm not sure why that guy wouldn't let you work in though
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you want to do circuits, I think the only way is to do it when the kit you want to use is empty or buy your own stuff and set up your own home gym. Otherwise you're always counting on other people to not need to use the same stuff or be in the way.

Perhaps you can have a number of different routines that you can go to depending on who is doing what. Or get your own home gym. Place too small? Buy a bigger place. Not helpful, I know. But life doesn't always work out as you want so you just have to adapt.

Not being able to use the kit when I want to is one of the main reasons I don't belong to a gym. It does mean I have weights where weights shouldn't be but my priorities are such. Also, I rarely get the chance to do squats as I'm not putting a powercage in my living room so I only do Bulgarian and hack squats.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    OP, you find the exchanges on this thread to be aggressive? Really???

I do circuits all the time. Did one yesterday, in fact. Difference is I used one piece of equipment in one area. If someone wanted that particular trx strap they were SOL, but the rest of the gym was available to use without them having to ask me for permission first.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Chances are whatever you're doing in the rack during a circuit can be replicated with DBs outside of the rack because it probably is higher reps, lower weight. Sorry OP, I have to agree that circuits aren't meant for the power rack or barbells in general especially if there is someone else who is lifting relatively heavy waiting to use it.

Now the guy that slipped in the other day while I quickly ran to the water fountain to refill my water bottle mid working sets even though I left my phone and workout log book in the rack with all the weight still loaded on the bar, yeah, he's a *kitten*.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I was this guy your day would have gone a lot worse....

The equipment doesn't belong to you. Buy a home gym ....or do three sets at a time per piece of equipment and then jump on a piece of cardio equipment at the end of your weight workout for a calorie burn. I realize your time is very important to you, but what do you do that is so amazing that your time is worth more than someone else's?

Can't afford to set up a home gym? Then you are definitely not as important as you think you are. So just relax, share and play nice. Then men will take your workout seriously no matter what your doing, because you won't be being a little snot.

I personally can't stand anyone who takes up as much equipment as they want doing circuits...I have seen them get a group ganking for much less...as you are getting told now.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    Agree to disagree, friends. I will be more conscious about not specifically reserving a machine. But I still think asking to alternate sets is fair. You may all continue to post but I don't like the negativity so I am out. :) have a good night.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    OP, this was a you problem, not a females in the gym problem. You don't get to tie up half the gyms equipment while you complete your routine. If the gym is relatively empty, you may be able to pull it off. But that is luck, not something you're entitled to

^This. Totally this

Yep, I'll have to agree too.
  • whierd
    Options
    There was no negativity...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Chances are whatever you're doing in the rack during a circuit can be replicated with DBs outside of the rack because it probably is higher reps, lower weight. Sorry OP, I have to agree that circuits aren't meant for the power rack or barbells in general especially if there is someone else who is lifting relatively heavy waiting to use it.

Now the guy that slipped in the other day while I quickly ran to the water fountain to refill my water bottle mid working sets even though I left my phone and workout log book in the rack with all the weight still loaded on the bar, yeah, he's a *kitten*.

Now THAT is disrespectful behavior.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who find circuit training annoying in a public gym.

But yes, "working in" should be an acceptable option.

Do you re-rack your weights in between circuits?