Respect in the gym

Options

Replies

• jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I try my best to make sure that I am not in anyone's way... This is because I don't perform fast circuit training... I save my speed for Zumba and cardio dance classes...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Troll this place by setting up all 20 or so stations with weights for a megacircuit.

Powerbase.gif
    http://loughboroughsport.com

"I'm using that. And that one. And that. That one, too. Yes, and that one."
    :bigsmile:

(Given that's where Team GB's lifters train, I understand, you'll have to be spectacularly big to pull that one off.)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I honestly have never considered the fact that someone might be doing circuits, to me as soon as they leave, they are done, unless you know their stuff is still there. But then my gym isn't that busy in the weights area as I use the female only section.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Troll this place by setting up all 20 or so stations with weights for a megacircuit.

Powerbase.gif

(Given that's where Team GB's lifters train, I understand, you'll have to be spectacularly big to pull that one off.)

:cry: None of the gyms in my city are anything like that :cry:
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I go to a very small gym, as in two treadmills kind. Whenever I'm in there I never get to use the free weight area (again only as big as my carpet) because there are always guys in there moaning like they're giving birth. Not only that but ALL of them do circuit training, leaving weights to go on machines and back again, but they never stick to something long enough, just 10 seconds and move on. To top it off, they're all doing deadlifts and weights with way too much weight and using their momentum to lift. I know, they'll hurt themselves in the end, but it bugs me that they hog the gym all fricking day. I don't want to use weights when they're in there, they make me feel angry and inadequate at the same time.
    I'm a woman and hate when men look down at you in the gym.
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    lol at both of u
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would have given you the same look if you had a beard and visible testicles dangling from your shorts. Circuit training just don't work that well when there are other people involved.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Powerbase.gif

That is beautiful :love: :love: :love:
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Powerbase.gif

:cry: None of the gyms in my city are anything like that :cry:

Ditto, sadly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gym Etiquette Question:

Is it rude to do a circuit of two exercises / 5 sets in which the first exercise is something commonly in demand during peak hours, like a smith machine or cable pulley, and the second exercise is something quick using body weight or dumbbells (not in demand) a few feet away? Anyone can work in on the machine any time and there are no rests / delays between exercises. The full five sets take about 8 minutes.

absolutely.

If I'm feeling sausy
    This superset grouping:

Squat 5 x 5
    MC- 50

Deadlift 5 x 5
    lateral lunge 25

Clean and press 5 x 5
    Burpees 5

that takes me probably 45 minutes and I take the squat rack the whole time- I never do this at peak hours- we only have 3 squat racks- but there is no question- that's my space. and if someone wanted to work in on a particular thing- I would definitely adjust- it's a longer workout for me.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

When did that happen?

I thought they only just moved to Leeds Met about 3/4 years ago, excluding a couple of lifters who train individually.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

When did that happen?

I thought they only just moved to Leeds Met about 3/4 years ago, excluding a couple of lifters who train individually.

I might be wrong. I'm sure I read it in some article. I probably am wrong. :o)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I asked him if he wanted to take turns and offered to take off my weights for him. You guys are all super aggressive. Yikes. I am going to keep circuit training because its good for my body, and continue to think it is rude for people to be on one machine for 30 minutes. Sharing is caring ya'll.

yeah people get pretty snippy on here, but that was rude of him. I once got done with the leg machine, and had all of my stuff (water bottle, headphones) there and i was just going to grab a paper towel to CLEAN the machine after i used it, and some b!tch just threw my stuff to the side and started using it, so i looked at her and said fine i hope you enjoy soaking in my sweat nasty *kitten* ....lol yeah i can be vulgar, but i don't have a tolerance for people who are rude like that and i myself am a very understanding person.
    so its ok for the OP to take up ten different machines for 30 minutes even when she wont be on them all at same time????
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with the majority of the people who have already responded. It's not a man vs. woman issue. The issue is you're monopolising a bunch of equipment, and generally speaking, that's viewed as inconsiderate in a free weights area.

If you want to continue circuit training, I think it would be best if you came up with some sort of circuits that don't involve using a bunch of different equipment/machines all at once. Look into barbell or dumbbell complexes, TRX or bodyweight complexes, etc.

My other suggestion would be to join a CrossFit box where you can circuit train to your heart's content with other people who are doing the same thing. Or perhaps join a Curves, if that's more your style. Lots of gyms also seem to have some sort of circuit classes on the menu--that might be something else to look into.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hey, I am going to set up a circuit that involves every single piece of equipment in the gym and I expect everyone in the gym to do nothing while I finish using every machine for MY circuit.....

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you're going to do circuits you need to do them in the same area. If you're gone from any machine for longer than five minutes I'm going to assume that you're done and take it up. I will be more than happy to let YOU work in between MY sets but don't expect me to sit there and wait ten to fifteen minutes until you're done with your circuit. I have time constraints too. We all do. Taking up a bunch of machines that (I'm assuming) aren't remotely close together is rather rude.

Maybe you should think a little harder on doing your circuits at the gym. Or if you're looking to keep your HR elevated do some jumping jacks or mountain climbers in between sets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Circuit training at the gym is fine.

I have been doing it for a long while. You just have to realize you aren't the only one there. and unless you have three guys rotating on and off equipment (we have done that before too) you need to just plan better and be attentive.

There is absolutely NO reason you can't do circuits at the gym- you just can't do circuits with ALL MACHINES at the gym. You have to plan and be attentive and be willing to alter your course.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong. I'm sure I read it in some article. I probably am wrong. :o)

I was hoping you knew something that hadn't even been publicly announced yet, and we'd got a scoop here!
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I asked him if he wanted to take turns and offered to take off my weights for him. You guys are all super aggressive. Yikes. I am going to keep circuit training because its good for my body, and continue to think it is rude for people to be on one machine for 30 minutes. Sharing is caring ya'll.

yeah people get pretty snippy on here, but that was rude of him. I once got done with the leg machine, and had all of my stuff (water bottle, headphones) there and i was just going to grab a paper towel to CLEAN the machine after i used it, and some b!tch just threw my stuff to the side and started using it, so i looked at her and said fine i hope you enjoy soaking in my sweat nasty *kitten* ....lol yeah i can be vulgar, but i don't have a tolerance for people who are rude like that and i myself am a very understanding person.
    so its ok for the OP to take up ten different machines for 30 minutes even when she wont be on them all at same time????

yea she has a vagina dude how dare u use logic
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I go to a very small gym, as in two treadmills kind. Whenever I'm in there I never get to use the free weight area (again only as big as my carpet) because there are always guys in there moaning like they're giving birth. Not only that but ALL of them do circuit training, leaving weights to go on machines and back again, but they never stick to something long enough, just 10 seconds and move on. To top it off, they're all doing deadlifts and weights with way too much weight and using their momentum to lift. I know, they'll hurt themselves in the end, but it bugs me that they hog the gym all fricking day. I don't want to use weights when they're in there, they make me feel angry and inadequate at the same time.
    I'm a woman and hate when men look down at you in the gym.

Not exactly what this post is about...and, having said that...the majority of women who say that men "look down on them in the gym" are speaking from their own personal sense of inadequacy, and not basing it on actual fact. While there may be one or two meatheads who act like morons in the gym, it has been my personal experience to both help out women in the gym and watch other guys helping women who want to lift in the gym or with any program really. There are threads and threads and threads on MFP where men are congratulating, encouraging, lifting up and helping out women who want to lift...there's even a group dedicated to that very thing.

If a man or woman has an issue with hitting the free weights or machines or trying ANYTHING different at the gym or elsewhere, but they don't have the intestinal fortitude to just do it, at least admit it and stop projecting your fears onto other people who, most likely, barely realize you're alive.