carbs...are they the enemy?

Options
123457»

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    What's with people not realizing vegetables are carbs?

They are my favorite carb too!!! Especially in the grilled asparagus form.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Meh. You lose about 30-40% of the vitamin C boiling peeled potatoes. If you eat a varied diet, you can get plenty of vitamin C from other sources.

I find boiled potatoes to be one of the most satiating foods I can eat. I'll continue to boil them.

I tend to boil mine early in the day to save time later, and there's an argument to be made that in doing that and reheating them that I'm creating resistant starch, which is all kinds of good for my gut bacteria.

Another reason to not peel potatoes...

I don't peel them (because I like the peel and the fiber), but I do cut them just to save on the cooking time. Meh. I eat plenty of fruit for my vitamin C. I'm not worried.

Potatoes are on the menu quite frequently around here, oh, and seeing the way the conversation is going, I'll add that I've lost 90 pounds while eating them and plenty of other carbs.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What a great discussion, so many perspectives and ideas. Thanks everyone!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You'll have to pry my carbs from my cold, dead, no-longer-obese hands. B)

I lost the 75 lbs I needed to a year and a half ago and reached my goal weight simply by eating all the foods I love in moderation, and adding in some deliberate exercise. I *did* cut a few things down dramatically because I discovered I didn't love them enough to justify them being so calorically 'spendy' though. And interestingly enough, those food items were, for the most part, high calorie because of their fat content and not because of carbs.