Replies

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a frienemy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Meh. You lose about 30-40% of the vitamin C boiling peeled potatoes. If you eat a varied diet, you can get plenty of vitamin C from other sources.

I find boiled potatoes to be one of the most satiating foods I can eat. I'll continue to boil them.

I tend to boil mine early in the day to save time later, and there's an argument to be made that in doing that and reheating them that I'm creating resistant starch, which is all kinds of good for my gut bacteria.

Another reason to not peel potatoes...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic so I do need to watch my carbs - however, they are definitely not the enemy. In fact they will help you power through workouts. Having a blood glucose meter has helped me see the direct result of putting food into my body and exercising: food is fuel!

Whole fruits contain fiber, vitamins, and other micronutrients as well as carbs. They are good for you and delicious. Even for a diabetic like me, the fiber in whole fruit slows digestion enough that a reasonable serving of fruit doesn't spike my blood glucose, and for a healthy person like you, there is no reason in the world not to eat fruit. Eating a high carb diet does not lead to weight gain - weight gain is about calories, not carbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the only macro I sometimes exceed target on. (I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Most of my protein has carbs in it.) As I type this, I'm enjoying some homemade peach sorbet (peaches, sugar, water, and lemon juice). Over 77 lbs lost in 9 months. No hint of a stall.