Options
    bump bump bump :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    posti.gif
  • lorihuff
    Options
    Thanks this was So helpfull(i'm a newby - (4 weeks). My scale has hardly moved the past two weeks! I work HARD to burn off those cals each day. Iv'e been burning 6-900 cals 6 days a week with exercize but have keept my intake at 12-1350. So this explains alot. I was wondering why I was'nt feeling stronger! so if I add back those excercize calories everything shuld be fine, right?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks this was So helpfull(i'm a newby - (4 weeks). My scale has hardly moved the past two weeks! I work HARD to burn off those cals each day. Iv'e been burning 6-900 cals 6 days a week with exercize but have keept my intake at 12-1350. So this explains alot. I was wondering why I was'nt feeling stronger! so if I add back those excercize calories everything shuld be fine, right?

Well, I mean, we can't say anything for CERTAIN. But if your burning 600 to 900 and only eating 1200 to 1350, I would say that you are definitely eating too few. that means your total calories consumed is somewhere between 300 and 750 calories, that's crazy low. If it says 1200 is your minimum, then that means 1200 calories consumed AFTER you subtract your exercise calories.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Keep re-reading these posts and I understand and agree with it. However, after an initial 2 lb weight loss, I put on 6 lbsl (4 of them overnight) and have been stuck ever since. (Mid July)

I am extremely active working out 6 days a week/ For example this weekend I burned 1000 cals on Saturday and 1500 HRM (1270 as per MFP). So I had a huge chunk of cals to eat. Obviously I didn't get them all in, but was close to 2000 cals. My BMR is around 1300 and most days I do get in all cals, about 1800. I burn anywhere from 300-600 cals per regular day with exercise so I am spot on.

So then, why aren't I losing. Yes, I am menopausal, muscular and only had about 13 lbs to lose (now 18). I do mix up my exercises, doing cardio and strength training (follow P90X program) with some running and cycling thrown in (doubles) maybe 2-3 times a week.

Any insight? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Carol
  • banks1850
    Options
    Keep re-reading these posts and I understand and agree with it. However, after an initial 2 lb weight loss, I put on 6 lbsl (4 of them overnight) and have been stuck ever since. (Mid July)

I am extremely active working out 6 days a week/ For example this weekend I burned 1000 cals on Saturday and 1500 HRM (1270 as per MFP). So I had a huge chunk of cals to eat. Obviously I didn't get them all in, but was close to 2000 cals. My BMR is around 1300 and most days I do get in all cals, about 1800. I burn anywhere from 300-600 cals per regular day with exercise so I am spot on.

So then, why aren't I losing. Yes, I am menopausal, muscular and only had about 13 lbs to lose (now 18). I do mix up my exercises, doing cardio and strength training (follow P90X program) with some running and cycling thrown in (doubles) maybe 2-3 times a week.

Any insight? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Carol

13 pounds to lose you shouldn't be anywhere near a 1000 calorie deficit. here, read this post, it should help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

FYI, gaining 4 lbs overnight, it's almost certainly water weight (and/or waste). There's not a heck of a lot you can do about that except know that to gain 4 lbs overnight you would have to eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 11000 (yes thousand!) calories or more. Most people would (mistakenly) think you would have to eat around 14000 calories, but the food is broken down and combined with water, and oxygen and other minerals so you don't actually have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound, but you do have to eat close to it. So don't worry about having gained overnight, it wasn't fat you gained, or even muscle, it was just water.
    Oh, and side note. Make sure you break up your eating into small groups, if you don't even if you stay in your calorie limits, you could be adding fat. The body can only process so much food at a time, anything more then that at one time and it get's stored. So small meals throughout the day is better for constant fuel.
  • plmtrprsn
    plmtrprsn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am glad you answered the "eating your exercise calories" questions and also glad you explained "bumping". Here I was, imagining all of those hips slamiing side to side... (as in "do the bump"...)

I am 1 week into this site and enjoying the conversations!
  • carvan
    Options
    Banks: Ok, I do eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. For example, today (evening) I have 5 carbs remaining and 78 g protein 0 fat . Short by 169. Not bad, will have one oatmeal cookie, but no way will I hit 78 g protein.

Now for a while I believed it was water weight, but 4 weeks later....? Believe, I am running to the bathroom, even when shopping, do the P P shuffle until I find facilities!! I know deep down that it will eventually disappear, but it is disappointing, when I had maintained my weight for 3 years to suddenly surge upward. Not giving up though, something will happen, working too hard, forgoing treats many times (how do you say DQ Mudslide sundae, 986 calories!!)

Thanks for listening.

Carol
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    Hate to belabor this point but here is my problem and I really do need guidance.

When I set up my profile I put sedentary lifestyle and the goal that popped up for me was 1200 cals. I burn anywhere from 400-500 cals on cardio and I didn't see any cals count for weights. The problem I am having is it adds the 400-500 cals onto the 1200 giving me 1600-1700 cals and I struggle daily to eat all of this. Take today for instance - it's 8 pm and I'm full and still have 860 cals which I have not eaten and for me to get this far I indulged in 2 servings of Cadbury chocolate.

Any guidance is appreciated.:grumble:
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'll try to answer these both of these two as best I can (remember, not a doctor :tongue: )

car, the initial jump (in my mind) couldn't have been real weight, it could however have been something with the scale, maybe it was just off, or maybe your foot was resting in a weird position, displacing some weight the day before, or maybe the scale foot was uneven.... regardless, in your situation, you should expect to lose less then a pound a month on average. That's pretty much par for the course. The other thing to keep in mind is, and I'm not sure how you came to the goal you have, but maybe your body doesn't want to lose 13 more pounds. That would be a question that a nutritionist that has done tests on you could answer, I really can't without knowing a LOT more, and even then, I'm not a nutritionist (yet!) and wouldn't want to speculate without a lot more info.

Lady,
    My only real advice for you is this, you just can't leave that many calories on the table for more then a day or two a month and expect the goals to be true. If you find this happening, you need to sit down and start planning out your meals ahead of time. It's work, but it's something many of us (myself included) have done for a long time. It took me 6 months to know the calories in food well enough to do it from memory. Now, I can know if I'm going to reach my goals by lunch, and if I don't think I'm gonna, I start adjusting at that point. But until you are confident in your ability to truely judge your food numbers, you should follow a pre-written up plan. Personally, I plany my food on Sundays, and bag out 7 days worth of snacks and parts of my lunch. Each meal for me is between 250 calories (snacks) and 450 calories (breakfast and lunch) or about 350 cals for dinner. Dinner should be your light meal FYI, because after dinner, most people's metabolism starts to slow in preparation for sleep.

So for instance my day is breakfast (about 7:00), snack at about 9am snack at about 11:am Gym from 11:45 to about 12:30, Lunch about 12:45, snack at about 2:30 pm snack at about 4:30 dinner at about 6 to 6:30 then a snack at about 7:30 to 8:00.
    this gives me about 2300 to 2700 cals calories or so. My maintenance cals are 2400, and I usually burn between 350 and 500 cals a day. Which brings me to a deficit of between 200 and 400 calories a day. Which is right where I want it.

Just make sure you guys build in a fudge factor, mine is about 100 calories. If you don't you can drive yourself crazy trying to get every last calorie accounted for. That's not what this is about, it's about staying in a range that allows the body to work for you instead of against you.

Hope this helps you guys.
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you banks. I've been looking for this thread to see what anyone's response would be. You're right - planning ahead is the safest way. Keep up the good advice people like me need it.
  • carvan
    Options
    Thank you banks. I've been looking for this thread to see what anyone's response would be. You're right - planning ahead is the safest way. Keep up the good advice people like me need it.

Ditto
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    (μg/d) Ok, Steve. WTH does that mean? It is a recommended amount (quantity) of nutrients in the FDA Dietary Guidelines. Like mcg, or mg.

We need a "Stump Banks" thread. Glad you're still fighting the good fight. Congrats on the Nutritionist decision. Excellent!!! :glasses:

Cheryl

oh I came here to B-U-M-P :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    (μg/d) Ok, Steve. WTH does that mean? It is a recommended amount (quantity) of nutrients in the FDA Dietary Guidelines. Like mcg, or mg.

We need a "Stump Banks" thread. Glad you're still fighting the good fight. Congrats on the Nutritionist decision. Excellent!!! :glasses:

Cheryl

oh I came here to B-U-M-P :flowerforyou:

LOL, you can't BEAT me! that weird u looking thingie, my dear, is the letter MU (lower case) from the greek alphabet and is commonly used in chemistry as part of a measurement for small amounts. It (μg) is the symbol for a microgram or 10 (to the)-6 grams. Had to reach back to my Chemical engineering days for that one (and it doesn't hurt that I was in a fraternity in college, and yes, I still remember my greek alphabet!). You'd be better off trying to stump me with A&P questions, cuz I suck at remembering the muscle groups and their functions (agonist, antagonist, medial, lateral, whoosiewhatsis, ugh!):drinker:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Banks, this makes more sense than the diet books I've read (most of which agree with you). Thanks for your great explanation. I love MFP :heart:
    mknipp
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Banks, this makes more sense than the diet books I've read (most of which agree with you). Thanks for your great explanation. I love MFP :heart:
    mknipp

another converted soul! We :heart: U too.

Bump :glasses:
  • banks1850
    Options
    missed this reply, you're very welcome my dear. Always glad to help.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump!!