Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see that Banks deactivated his account?

Like Lauryn said... 'Yup'

...but we make sure his great words of wisdom live on..........:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the info. I never knew that I could eat the calories I burned I thought I needed to work out to burn the calories I ate! It definately is an extra motivation for getting into the gym!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    think of it like a car.

If it takes you 1/2 a tank every week to drive to and from work, then that's how much gas you need. But think of exercise as... say a trip to the mall after work, you need to add the extra gas to get there and back. If you put 1/2 a tank of gas in for the week, well, you can't expect to go to the mall right? Cuz you will (literally and figuratively) run out of gas.
    The only difference is, in a car, you simply run out of gas. With your body, instead of just running out of energy, your body will start shutting things down (like, organs, metabolism...etc) so that it uses less energy, also it will pull energy from other areas like muscles and other lean body mass (thus reducing your lean mass, which is bad).

That's really over simplistic, but it's close enough to get the idea.

How about this.....

your body is smart enough that it holds on to "necessities" fat and water first and foremost.....but also "energy sources"
    If it senses that it isn't getting enough, it begins to hold onto what it needs....if you cut fat completely out of your diet....your body will hold onto the fat you already have; same thing with water and energy stores; it does take your body (AND EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT) 1-2 weeks to get into TRUE starvation mode......where your metabolism will drop to almost nothing to save the energy and fat stores for survival.....hopefully none of us would get to that point

this is why the body has several organs that produce and secrete glucose....main energy source for our bodies.....protein is to rebuild while glucose (and others) re-store energy so that you can exercise again tomorrow......
    Good luck and don't not eat....life is too short....just make good choices!!!!!

a synopsis and a bump all in one. Quoted from page 7 - when banks was still here. Just in case you are still around, banks, as some other screen name.....message me. I won't tell. :tongue:
    Happy Holidays.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This was really informative. I appreciate the time you took on it.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I wonder why he went left?
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump. I miss banks :(
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I mesged banks on facebook. He says he comes on once in a while to check on us but he can be contacted on facebook. He was still very supportive.
  • BeauPuppy
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the Newbies......good info :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • Christianmom
    Christianmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow - Thanks for info. I'm new at this. I've been coming pretty close with my calorie/exercise but my typical day has me leaving about 100-300 calories "wasted" (in other words I don't chow down after I exercise). I guess it's okay if I go around not feeling starved all day long.

I've been dieting, but not starving, exercise about 30-60 minutes a day (cardio) and I lost over 5lbs my first week. But, prior to this I was basically not exercising and eating whatever looked good (and believe me - lots of things look good - chocolate, ice cream, more chocolate, potatoes, steak, veggies, fruits - I love it ALL).

I will try to stay within my calories by + or - 100 calories and hopefully my loss will become my gain! LOL
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    BUMPBUMP1.gif
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I think it is just hard to get our heads around the extra calories since we've been brainwashed into believing we had to stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose any weight and here we were blaming our will power if we couldn't stick to it when it was our body's need for nourishment which has derailed us all along and justifiably so. I still have a hard time believing I can lose on 3000 calories. I wonder if that is way I plateaued after only 5 weeks last year on the the Curves Challenge. I lost 22 pounds in the first few weeks. I was eating 2000 calories and working out 30 min 5 days a week. I just couldn't go anywhere for 3 weeks and then started gaining so I stopped and gave up. Guess I should have raised my calories instead. With good for me foods of course. Well now I know! And knowing is half the battle! G.I. Joe! oops telling my age. :blushing:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    this was very helpful!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bump for the newbies!!:drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    eat.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :noway:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping, Jeannie. There's been a lot of questions about this lately.
  • BeauPuppy
    Options
    Bumpity-bump-bump-bump....:laugh: