For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• n2dfire
    n2dfire Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My question is I am a career firefighter and I have lost 15 pounds already prior to joining hence why the ticker doesnt reflect this but anyway my question is I work in shifts where i work a day on and day off for 9 days then im off for 6 and i work out on my days off almost always but when im on shift if it is a weekend day and we dont run any calls I dont burn a whole lot of calories, should i eat less calories on those days and then eat more on the days I work out? HHHEEEEEELLLLPPPP im confused!:sad: :blushing:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,044 Member
    Options
    My question is I am a career firefighter and I have lost 15 pounds already prior to joining hence why the ticker doesnt reflect this but anyway my question is I work in shifts where i work a day on and day off for 9 days then im off for 6 and i work out on my days off almost always but when im on shift if it is a weekend day and we dont run any calls I dont burn a whole lot of calories, should i eat less calories on those days and then eat more on the days I work out? HHHEEEEEELLLLPPPP im confused!:sad: :blushing:

To change your start weight (From "Help" at the top of every page)

Q. I made a mistake when checking in a measurement or weight. How can I edit past entries?

A. You can edit past entries by going to the "My Home" tab, clicking on "Check-in", then clicking on the "Edit Previous Entries" button.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On your "Work Days"

Why are you not working out on your work days? Do you have some weights at the station, or can you bring some in? Couln'dt you run or walk around the building 50 times? Bring in some resistance bands? Get a few of the guys participate in some competition? Like bring in a basketball hoop or ping pong table.

Or eat less.

Or eat the same and increase workouts on your "off" days. You don't really need to work out every day.

The calories are figured for you on your food diary here. If your baseline calories are (ex,) 1700, and you don't enter any exercise, then you eat 1700. If you exercise, you enter the exercise (say 400 calories worth burned) and then the food diary will add that automatically to your food allowance for the day. So you will eat 2100 calores that day.
  • n2dfire
    Options
    unfortunantly we dont have any weights here at work as i am an industrial firefighter and they are soooo nervous about osha recordable injuries i did buy a jump rope yesterday and figured at least i could get a cardio workout but im not sure how good of one i can get from just that and after reading the calorie intake info i was a little confused i still am a little confused as this is alot to take in but your post has helped quite a bit thank you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    unfortunantly we dont have any weights here at work as i am an industrial firefighter and they are soooo nervous about osha recordable injuries i did buy a jump rope yesterday and figured at least i could get a cardio workout but im not sure how good of one i can get from just that and after reading the calorie intake info i was a little confused i still am a little confused as this is alot to take in but your post has helped quite a bit thank you.

jumping rope is an excellent cardio work out. I also did step aerobics on the curb.
  • n2dfire
    Options
    while jumping rope is there a certain amount of jumps to get or a certain time limit how do you measure a workout? sorry if stupid question just havent had to ever woory about staying in shape until recently my eyes were opened to how bad off i was
  • cmriverside
    Options
    while jumping rope is there a certain amount of jumps to get or a certain time limit how do you measure a workout? sorry if stupid question just havent had to ever woory about staying in shape until recently my eyes were opened to how bad off i was

there is a good calories burned calculator here:

http://calorielab.com/burned
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    bump! lots of questions on this today...
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great info Banks.
  • deb201
    deb201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and was questioning this as well, so thanks for the info! Very helpful!:happy:
  • lasko726
    lasko726 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That was an excellent explanation!!! :drinker:

126343.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking all over for 1 place to go to research this last night when I posted my question here in the forum.

This was perfect....I get it......thanks!

This goes beyond the original......why am I eating my excercise cals. It TOTALLY explains why only eating 900 calories all this time has made me fat! I was eating them all at 1 time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    bump.gif
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Bumpity Bump :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just a little BUMP in the seat to start your monday.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1_09_12_07_9_24_49.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    1_09_12_07_9_24_49.gif

what He said:tongue:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Sure wish the new members would read the "help" sections. :smile:
  • frankmmafreak
    frankmmafreak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Banks,
    Thanks for the post. I really didn't think I would be able to find the answer to my question without having to ask it, but I did. Just so that I know I have it, you're saying that if my goal is 1800 calories a day and that is what I take in, but then I burn 400 calories in cardio, I need to eat that 400 calories back up to avoid the starvation response? I mean it pretty much makes sense, but as someone else said, it goes against everthing our obese society has told us. Thanks.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Banks,
    Thanks for the post. I really didn't think I would be able to find the answer to my question without having to ask it, but I did. Just so that I know I have it, you're saying that if my goal is 1800 calories a day and that is what I take in, but then I burn 400 calories in cardio, I need to eat that 400 calories back up to avoid the starvation response? I mean it pretty much makes sense, but as someone else said, it goes against everthing our obese society has told us. Thanks.

Which helps explain why we are obese. (Well, not ME - anymore!!!) Plus the 99 other reasons:laugh:

When you add your exercise in on the exercise TAB, your food diary will automagically ADD that 400 caloires to your bottom line. Just make sure you enter the extra exercise you do.

So - yes - eat 2200 kcal in the above example.

bumpus