Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options
It seems like more often than not, I get some type of unwanted “attention” while running or riding my bike around town. I prefer to run outside (through town and bike paths), and my gym is about a mile away from my house, so I will ride my bike rather than drive if the weather permits. I have gotten everything from cat-called at, men driving by and craning their neck out the window, flipped the middle finger at (wth???), complimented: “I’m not trying to be creepy, but you are really cute”, and most recently the worst of all -
On Sunday evening I decided to run up to the gym. There is a bowling alley/bar across the street from the gym, and as I am approaching, I see 3 guys sitting outside smoking. Immediately I think, “Here we go…” I run past them (I am on the opposite side of the street), and next thing I know, one of them runs up beside me and he actually starts running with me! He says “Hey”, and something else I didn’t hear. Then he asks if he is bothering me and I say yes. He responds, “Ok, just wanted to tell you that you are beautiful! Work it out girl!” I replied by saying thanks. As he returns to his friends, I hear them all laughing. I can’t help but feel like I was used for their entertainment, but I don’t know exactly what their agenda was. Every time something like this happens, I can’t help but feel negatively about it...Not sure if “harassed” or “objectified” are the correct terms to describe it, but similar. Maybe I am just too sensitive, but how do men justify these behaviors?
It seems like this mostly happens when I am running or riding my bike; maybe because those are the only times when I am alone and am “vulnerable”? I would like to get some opinions from women who get unwanted attention like this while exercising in public, how you tend to respond, and how it makes you feel.

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    eyer0ll wrote: »
    Not sure if “harassed” or “objectified” are the correct terms to describe it, but similar. Maybe I am just too sensitive, but how do men justify these behaviors?

They are exactly the correct terms to describe it. Don't second guess yourself.

Absolutely this. I *kitten* HATE this *kitten*. I just posted a rant on my own friend's feed here about how this has been happening and bugs the ever-loving crap out of me. LEAVE ME ALONE BROS!!!

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    As a guy, this kind of behavior pisses me off and is uncalled for. Sorry you (and other women) have to deal with this crap.

thank you. :heart:

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Add me to the aggressive responses group...I have a thousand-yard stare that can peel paint.

Maybe this is something I should work on a little more...
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Depending on my mood, I'll play into it, which usually takes them by surprise and don't know how to react, or I'll chew them out with words that are too big for them to understand in a loud enough voice that draws attention. I've gone so far as to snap a picture and post it to social media labeling him as some sort of creeper. Might be immature, but it's fun.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that's terrible. Everyone deserves to not be harassed.
    But, since I'm learning here, what is the appropriate way to give a compliment or break the ice? Is there one?
This discussion has been closed.