Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

There has been some insightful and respectful discussion up until this point. Please keep it that way. Please remember to think through your posts and do not resort to flame baiting or attacking one another.

Thanks,
    4legs
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Resting *kitten* face. A friend, male or female, who will workout with you? Unfortunately this is really not your problem, it is them, and as females we have to adjust ourselves for their behavior. I have experienced this when I was younger, and have had creepy middle-aged men check out my teenaged daughters right in front of me. I usually have the dirtiest look I can muster and when their eyes come off my daughters they see me and look away like a kicked dog. The next thing I will say, and I am by no means blaming the victim, but as I tell my daughters, think about your clothing choices. There are too many creeps out there and sometimes our clothes attract the undesirables. It's a safety issue too, especially if you're alone. Remember men are very visual creatures. Good luck!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have an etiquette question. When I'm out running or on the bike and pass another runner/cyclist coming in the opposite direction, I'll give a little head nod and sometimes maybe a "hey". I do the exact same for men and women and always thought it was just a polite acknowledgement that doesn't really mean anything. Men almost always return the nod, but lately I've come to notice that often women either just keep focused straight ahead and completely ignore it, or (occasionally) give me a hard, "don't *kitten* with me or I'll cut you" staredown.

So, is that harassment? Should I stop doing that? Maybe only acknowledge men and ignore women?
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I understand, this is why I do not even go to the gym because I can never workout with some one trying to talk to me or leaving phone number on my car. So I just workout at home.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I have an etiquette question. When I'm out running or on the bike and pass another runner/cyclist coming in the opposite direction, I'll give a little head nod and sometimes maybe a "hey". I do the exact same for men and women and always thought it was just a polite acknowledgement that doesn't really mean anything. Men almost always return the nod, but lately I've come to notice that often women either just keep focused straight ahead and completely ignore it, or (occasionally) give me a hard, "don't *kitten* with me or I'll cut you" staredown.

So, is that harassment? Should I stop doing that? Maybe only acknowledge men and ignore women?

Only acknowledge men, never acknowledge women. Women live in daily terror, you don't want to spook them.

How sad :( Actually, I think I suprised a man by saying good morning to him on my run this morning (he was running in the opposite direction). Mind, I haven't had the experience some women have had, just the odd bit here and there. Not looking forward to it either! But a man who is clearly out doing his thing just like I am isn't anywhere near as off putting as ones lounging around in a group looking bored. Or any group lounging around looking bored really!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

I'm a woman and I've run across the same thing. Men always return my greeting, women return it only about 75% of the time. And it seems the younger the woman, the less likely she is to even look at me. I still say "hi" or "good morning" or wave at every single person I cross paths with while running.

Well for me a hike/walk is alone time. It is where I connect to Nature and find quiet. I'm not out to make contact with other people, I get enough of that. So I don't look at other people on a walk. If they speak to me it is unusual.

There is this one sweet older lady who always says, "Hello! God bless you." I never know what to say to that other than, "Hello." or "God bless you, too." It's really nice though. She doesn't even speak English, I've tried saying more and all she says back is, "Yes!" lol.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    The thing is does this work for any guy? Do they actually have women stopping to chat and flirt? Why would anyone, man or woman, think this is appropriate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW8djpetnjg

I remember when Thelma and Louise first came out. This scene empowered me! Lol
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If it makes you all feel any better my 23 yo 6 ft 3 BJJ training son was running in town and a group of men yelled at him to...nothing nice mind you...I think the direct quote was "hey look at that f*****"

so it's not just women who get it.

My 300 pound husband has been catcalled by groups of men in cars. Yes, he is too fat, but under that he is built like a linebacker. He has hair down to his butt, which is very shapely. Apparently there are men who wish him to know that they would smash. However, his reaction to this treatment was exactly the same as mine: Annoyed and frightened. I hate harassers with the fire of a supernova.

That's hilarious!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

No, a nod or a hello is totally fine with me (I even mentioned it a bit earlier). That is totally different then saying "Oh, baby, nice *kitten*" or something- and that distinction should not be too hard to grasp for people.

Some people won't acknowledge you (I actually run through a government complex and see a lot of male cops running, many just ignore me entirely, even if I "nod" to them)- I just don't take it personally. People are working out and focused on themselves and/or they are just trying to avoid any confrontation, even innocuous, because it might escalate (as it should be apparent from these stories) it happens frequently.

If you want to meet people in social times, go to a bar or a party or join a social fitness club (my city has several on Meetup). Don't talk about physical attributes to strangers. Don't be quiet if your buddies are cat-calling strangers. Don't tolerate that type of behavior in your presence. This goes for both genders (although the OP mentions women specifically), but that should be clear too.

There are appropriate times and places for things. There are social fitness clubs/events/classes that happen all the time if you want to meet someone of your desired gender and you want them to be into fitness too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If it makes you all feel any better my 23 yo 6 ft 3 BJJ training son was running in town and a group of men yelled at him to...nothing nice mind you...I think the direct quote was "hey look at that f*****"

so it's not just women who get it.

My 300 pound husband has been catcalled by groups of men in cars. Yes, he is too fat, but under that he is built like a linebacker. He has hair down to his butt, which is very shapely. Apparently there are men who wish him to know that they would smash. However, his reaction to this treatment was exactly the same as mine: Annoyed and frightened. I hate harassers with the fire of a supernova.

That's hilarious!

It would be funny in a sitcom but IRL it's really disconcerting.
This discussion has been closed.