Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Unfortunately there just isn't an answer that I can think of, you can't control people or their actions unfortunately. Thankfully this kind of behavior is illegal in the workplace, but it's hard to legislate it out on the street, but maybe this type of behavior should be illegal in and outside of the workplace...

I've had really good luck on public transit with focusing attention on the person being harassed, asking if they're ok, offering to switch seats, etc. I used to see people stand by and do nothing but thankfully it's becoming much more socially acceptable to call it out.

I by no means am saying to ignore it... But I can't control what is happening where I'm not present. Although I agree with you that people shouldn't just stand by and watch this kind of thing happen.

Most of the time, if it's going to happen, it's probably going to be when you're alone... So yeah it should be illegal
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

This same thing goes on with men and other men all the time. Especially young me who don't have an education and believe the only way to get more in life is to take your piece of the pie instead of making the pie bigger for everyone. Or men who are jealous of what you have (or what they think you have) so they out of their way to prove they are tougher than you-- like insulting you in public for no reason but to show off that they can get a way with it while their buddies are there. Seriously it's totally *kitten*. Why do you think men "bulk-up", take martial arts, etc...

I remember one time in high-school this total jerk was messing with me in class for no reason. He was "preppy" and I was a nerd. He kept looking at me and saying "I'm going to kick your *kitten* after school." I was like "what, your aren't serious? Why should we fight I don't even know you." Well, he didn't really reply, just kept looking at me and made aggressive postures toward me. He was sitting in the desk in front of me, but in the row to my right when facing the front of the class. Of course the teacher just ignored everything (I went to public school).

Well, the rest of the day I was trying to figure out how to avoid this guy after school. Then around 6th period (the last class of the day) I heard that an Asian guy stabbed him (he was white). Up to that point in my life, I had never felt so relived as when I heard the was stabbed.

It happens all the time for young adult males too. Seriously, it's a jungle out there.

We either strive to have a civilized society or we don't. Expecting women to police this kind of behavior isn't helpful.

Neither is calling them "props in a play".

I don't mean to offend. But when I say "props in a play" I mean that the women are not real to these types of men. These women are objects to them. These men see these women as "something" to be acted upon, not something that is a sentient being.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

God do I sound like an old mumpit in the theater balcony!

tumblr_m8ewmk4bse1qb63fco1_250.gif

• marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The thing is does this work for any guy? Do they actually have women stopping to chat and flirt? Why would anyone, man or woman, think this is appropriate?
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would honestly tell anyone that pulled this *kitten* in front of me to STFU. I am not adverse to confrontation and have told off groups of guys before. Being a bulldog shape with shaved head and an old school Marine might have helped :wink:

Still I don't count on others to behave themselves. I take matters into my own hands and am giving my daughter tools to protect herself. Can or should a lone female tell off a group of guys? I don't think it's wise. Better to just get out of the area.

We don't live in a perfect world where *kitten* keep their yaps shut. We live in a world where unfortunately it is going to happen no matter how many decent people tell them off. To change this it is going to take a whole lot more than I think is possible. Best thing I think we can do is raise our children to respect everyone for the content of their character. Unfortunately that is not going to change anything for years.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    The thing is does this work for any guy? Do they actually have women stopping to chat and flirt? Why would anyone, man or woman, think this is appropriate?

I'm sure some do.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Ok. If I want to talk to a girl, what is the right way?? After reading all these comments I feel I am harrasing by just saying hello.

If you want to talk to someone who is running or cycling ...

First of all, get into your running gear or get on the bicycle and go out and run or ride.

If you're just driving by or hollering from a street corner, we don't want to hear from you.

Secondly, join a running club or cycling club and get involved in the sport. Perhaps the person you want to talk to is involved in one of those clubs as well and you'll meet on common ground, doing something that interests you both.

Thirdly, if you happen to meet while out running or cycling, just talk like a normal human being. Discuss running or cycling ... discuss footwear or bicycles ... discuss upcoming events ...

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I havent read past page 1, but this is precisely why i stopped exercising outside! I made sure and wore baggy unattractive shorts and tshirts, and it didn't make a difference. I just got sick of feeling like a piece of meat in the zoo for pigs to leer at.

My response to these guys was to stare them down and just shake my head until i made them feel as uncomfortable as they made me feel, the ones calling out while driving past in their cars got the finger!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot. I have a different reaction depending on my mood, the safety of the situation, and exactly what was said. I have been known to hide my face, make a mean face, or yell "BACK UP OFF!"

Sucks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I've had really good luck on public transit with focusing attention on the person being harassed, asking if they're ok, offering to switch seats, etc.

i agree with this, if other people happen to be around. the way the dynamic works for the harasser is heavily based in them being isolated and having nothing else to give their attention to. you can stare out the window or whatever, but that doesn't really work because it's not like they're stupid. they still know they're 'winning' because they're as aware as anyone else that you're having to spend energy and attention on blocking them out.

so as a bystander, just providing some pretext for breaking it up and giving them someone else to talk to/whatever can go a fair ways towards spiking their guns. that's assuming there even are any bystanders, of course.

• shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    I have found a somewhat aggressive ( direct, a little louder than normal, neutral in emotion, a more formal address rather than just a "hey" or "what's up" etc...) "HELLO!" or "GOOD MORNING" etc... with direct eye contact is off putting for men. If you can get the jump on them and take away they're predatory drive ( you're not "prey" if you acknowledge them first) it takes away their power. They don't realize this, of course, they are just kind of in shock and say a quiet "Hi" back as you run or bike by at your most powerful speed and perfect form. Puff up, Be aggressive - and you'll beat them at their own game.

This.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »

you're missing the point a little. or you skipped some of the zillion posts about it :wink:

yes, it works for the type the op was talking about, because they're not after a real interaction or relationship in the first place. they're just pulling a power play, and if they get that taken care of it's 'worked'.

a lot of men do this to women to show that they can. not to 'meet' them. to demonstrate that they can if they feel like it.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've had really good luck on public transit with focusing attention on the person being harassed, asking if they're ok, offering to switch seats, etc.

i agree with this, if other people happen to be around. the way the dynamic works for the harasser is heavily based in them being isolated and having nothing else to give their attention to. you can stare out the window or whatever, but that doesn't really work because it's not like they're stupid. they still know they're 'winning' because they're as aware as anyone else that you're having to spend energy and attention on blocking them out.

so as a bystander, just providing some pretext for breaking it up and giving them someone else to talk to/whatever can go a fair ways towards spiking their guns. that's assuming there even are any bystanders, of course.

I catch public transport daily and have often sparked up a conversation with a woman being harassed, either just as a conversation, or, if the harasser is being really insistent, by pretending I know her.

You know, "Oh hey!! It's been ages! How are you? Are you still working in the same place?". In those more full on circumstances, I usually also maneuver myself between her and the harasser.
This discussion has been closed.