WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Michele, I can't add anything to what Machka and Barbiecat said. Great advice. Nevertheless, your feelings are your feelings, and I am sorry you were so hurt.

KetoneKaren, my babies were 13 months apart. I thought we'd never get out of diapers and car seats, but it was still a really sweet time.

Everything is bungeed down or in the house. Now enjoying the rain and trying to get some housework done. I don't think it will be that bad here, but we were told to stay home by the sheriff's office, and that is what we intend to do.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I am sorry that your friends are moving farther away. It will definitely make visits more challenging. :sad:

Lanette: I rode Arrow yesterday with no smoke in the air. We've had onshore breezes that have blown the smoke out of our area and are thrilled with the improvement. If the wind shifts we could have smoky air again. I haven't seen news about how the fire fighting is going. Rain would be a blessing. :bigsmile:

Becca: I like seeing your smiling face here, even if you don't have a lot to say at the moment. (((hugs)))

Joyce: I've been watching the weather channel, too. I've been impressed with how the Florida officials have handled things. :flowerforyou:

MABfit517: Welcome back! :smiley:

Tiffanie in NH: You seem to have been through the wringer, health-wise. I hope you'll stay well. Post often for support and friendship. :smile:

Yvonne in TX: We sang the Make New Friends song in bluebirds and campfire, too. It is a good memory. :bigsmile:

Kim: I am so happy to see your post!!! :star::heart:

Karen in VA: I've never thought about trip insurance but at this moment it sounds like a very good idea. :star:

DJ: That picture idea is a good one. DH was there and could have taken one but we didn't think about it. Next time I talk him into going along I'll ask for some photos. :smiley:

(((Michele)))

Barbie: Thank you for sharing the dairy free yogurt recipe! I've bookmarked it and will go back and copy it when I finish here. :heart:

(((Allie)))

Regarding Home Insurance: We live next to the Columbia River and both FEMA & our mortgage company require that we carry flood insurance. It isn't cheap but we'll be very happy we have it if we ever need it. In fact, our place did flood while it was under construction. The original buyer backed out and we bought it. So far, so good.

When I rode Arrow yesterday I knew his owner wouldn't be there, so I talked DH into going along. He rode his mobility scooter around the property while I rode Arrow out in the pasture. All three of us had a good time & DH had the opportunity to see that Arrow is not still the crazed beast he'd been a year ago. He is learning new skills and so am I. :star: We've had onshore breezes that have blown the smoke out of our area and are thrilled with the improvement. I think a wind shift could instantly make things much less pleasant but I'm enjoying this situation to the fullest. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa love, love your paintings. Beautiful color. <3

Janetr okc
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Michele - those cakes are adorable. Looks like Denise was thrilled with her plaque! When is the wedding....coming up next month? Now that the shower is out of the way, I hope everything else goes smoothly.

Lisa - How long have you been painting? Those are awesome! I am always amazed at what flower growers come up with as they breed new varieties of different plants. Your paintings here tend toward the abstract but I swear I've seen some real ones close to those colors. I've always loved things a little on the wild side like that.

Sharon - I am so praying the rains come quickly .... the heat and smoke is enough to drive anyone over the edge, that's for sure. I don't know what's worse... the actual dry conditions and fires or the weatherman saying "rain is coming tomorrow or day after tomorrow" and being completely wrong! DH and I used to own property near Tonasket, I recall one year - probably 30 years ago - a fire came through and burned through the forest. About 1/3 of it was spared - we didn't live there, but spent a lot of time camping. Beautiful country. Sorry to hear about your fridge - hope you have a much better week!

Okiewoman - what a cute photo! I am glad you are with this group but you and your pals can't be much older than 30. B)

Rye - Great magnet! I think I'm too short for my BMI as well.

My DH has come up with the "I have enough friends" thing just within the past few years. His best friend from his childhood died of lung cancer last year. His other best friend he had turned out to be demanding - I know DH feels bad that his health and strength isn't good so when other BF wanted him to come over and help with landscaping or some other chore, DH had to turn him down all the time. BF also had many medical issues himself, plus marriage problems, family problems....DH would dread BF's calls and often wouldn't return him because he doesn't like to hear his saga for hours on end. I'm a bit that way myself. Before DH became ill, we had a good social life and did lots of things with other people. Chronic illness can be very isolating.

Time to get busy. Temp down to 43 this morning, house is chilly for a change. Looking at a high of 82 today... hope this is the last day in the 80's for a while.

Here's to a great week, Irma petering out, Jose collapsing, rains coming where needed! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, those cakes are amazing. You are so talented and persistent. I remember how much time you spent trying things out to get them right.

:)Lisa, wow, what great paintings.

:'( My friend that I walk with every morning called at 4:30 AM to say that she was sick last night and was about to have emergency surgery for a twisted colon. How quickly things can turn around. I am concerned for her but also reminded to be grateful for every healthy minute that I have.

<3 Barbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Here at court he didn't show his attorney did,if they don't agree to counsel fees we have to go to trial .today without Tom here and I get cross examined by his attorney ughhh.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for the link to the dairy free yogurt recipe. I have it printed and filed in two places--one is on my desk top and the other is in a binder. Now I'm planning to look at instant pots the next time we go near a store that sells them. :star:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Patriot Day in the U.s.

Also No News is Good News Day, Hot Cross Bun Day, Boss/Employee Exchange Day, and Make Your Bed Day. But Patriot Day is the one we'll always remember.

Beth - I'm with you, I'll never look like Ernestine Shepherd (nor do I aspire to), but she is an inspiration nonetheless. She's a reminder to us all not to let our age be an excuse.

Joyce - I sympathize with your prep woes. I tell people they won't remember the procedure at all, but they'll remember the prep for a long, long time! I'm a couple of years overdue for mine, but I can't afford it so I'm trying to keep it off my radar.

DrKatieBug - Most homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding from outside the house. It'll cover damage from a burst pipe inside the house, but not water coming in. (I learned this the hard way when our house flooded the first time.) To get coverage for stuff like that, you have to buy extra insurance through FEMA, and the riskier your area the more it costs.

Rye - Got a good laugh out of that big white cat. Thanks for sharing!

Philip's brother lives in Florida (or did, last we know). He is estranged from the family by his own choice, so none of us has any idea where he is or how he sheltered from Irma. I hope he's OK.

One hip is being especially cranky this morning. I don't know if I hurt myself moving furniture yesterday or slept on it wrong, but it's painful to sit. I'm standing here at my Varidesk with the TENS unit stuck to my hip, but once I've gotten a little work done I'll have to take a break to lie down and do it properly. But now my feet are complaining. Apparently my body is having a Monday.

Thinking of you all!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Question ~ Are any of you planning on doing the work needed to freeze your credit at the three credit checking companies? There has been a lot on the news over the past few days about millions of people's credit information being hack on Equifax.

Carol in GA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - hang in there! We're with you in spirit, and you have right on your side... Thinking about you, girlie.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I like the " stick by your honey" one! We celebrated our 33rd anniversary last Friday, just appreciating how we get along, and how well I cook! Yep I seared a steak, with scalloped potatoes, green beans......it was awesome!
    Becca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Question ~ Are any of you planning on doing the work needed to freeze your credit at the three credit checking companies? There has been a lot on the news over the past few days about millions of people's credit information being hack on Equifax.

Carol in GA

Carol, our bank emailed a notice on how to go onto Equifax's website and see if your information is at risk. I checked, ours isn't.

Here's the info they sent: Use the Equifax site to check if your information was included in the breach and decide if you want to take advantage of the fraud monitoring service after you have reviewed the offer. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

We don't plan to freeze our credit.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ Thanks for the information. I checked and mine seems OK. DH doesn't trust it so he won't let me check his. LOL Guess he's another one afraid of Trolls!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Went to look at paint colours this afternoon. DH is not happy about pink, but I quite like it. It's for the hall and landing, with white paintwork. A very muted grey/pink. The living room is grey and the kitchen is off white. I coughed all the way through it.

Then we did a food shop and got back ok until I coughed until tears were running down my face. It always seems worse in the afternoon. OK now.

I'm loving the curried sprouted beans I'm making regularly in my IP. Had it with chipotle spiced duck legs and broccoli. Yummo!

This cough is making us drink. Well, that's my excuse. :*;) Tomorrow we have a delivery of some non/low alcohol beer. Very well reviewed. When I have drunk a similar product in the past I have felt quite drunk!!!!!

Thinking of you all, all the time. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - my friend described the ill gotten palatial home as a bit huge, sad and echoing. Glad I didn't join them.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Carol since we are not planning on getting a mortgage or another credit card it is on my list to freeze our credit on the three companies. I don't think it stops the insurance companies or an employer from checking your credit. It just should stop someone from opening credit in your name. I hope to do it in the next week or two.
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    h9o85sm7ox47.png
    Love it! My hubby keeps bees. 500 hives this year as we are increasing with a view to selling our travel agency and doing bees full-time from next year. Exciting times for us. Not really retiring, but I won't have to sit in an office paying bills anymore. And my hubby can't wait to escape his 'life sentence' and get outside 24/7. Right now, we live the crazy life because of running two businesses and having little time left over for us. I exercise to stay sane. I went to the gym last night for the first time since dying my hair blonde. It is still red-blonde even after three bottles of bleach and two tubes of toner! The top is yellow but the long ends are red so I tied it up in a ponytail and it looked less hideous. I will bleach the ends again next Sunday even though I have decided that my hair is a reflection of myself: very slow and resistant to change! LOL. Today, it's grey and cool and windy outside but I am going to put on a light raincoat and take Jock, my jack russell for a run up the road and listen to one of my audio books for inspiration. Maybe I will listen to Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle, by Tom Venuto. He has so much great advice 'from the leanest people in the world'. If Ernestine Shepherd can get up and run ten miles every morning when she is 80, surely I can make my protesting body run three miles when I am 51 and maybe by the time I am 80 I will have worked up to ten miles a day. LOL <3 Wendy
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 NYKAREN