• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Miss you Kim xoxo
  • countrycreek
    countrycreek Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Wildhorse and countrycreek ... I doubt very much ... no rephrase that ... I know I will never be determined, dedicated or disciplined enough to look like Ernestine Shepherd! Wow!

Joyce ... we've been watching the news reporting on Irma as well ... it just sucks us in and we stare at it. Now, the guys have football on ... never thought I'd be thankful for that! :D We have family and friends who decided to shelter in place ... we are praying ... and waiting on news.

Allie ... I don't get the insurance thing in Florida ... you couldn't buy anymore ... or he wouldn't buy anymore? Assuming he's telling you the truth and is the home valued at more than that? I'm not familiar with the value of double-wides.

A beautiful day near Buffalo. Feel a little guilty about that with those who are having fires and hurricanes.

Beth

In all reality.. I won't either But we can work towards the "best me" possible! Never give up.. anything is possible!
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Ernie found a way that worked for her, on her particular path. I think we all have to forge our own individual paths but we can certainly learn tips and techniques from those who are successful in staying young and healthy. Ernie was inspired by the movie Rocky, and she took to drinking/eating egg whites as part of her diet. She gets up very early every day (like 2;30am) to do her devotions and say her prayers, then goes for a before- dark run with a group of other early runners. She teaches an exercise class for older people at her church and she inspires thousands of people through her facebook page. I think she follows a very basic diet and eats the same foods over and over. There is a sample meal plan in her book. When I fall off my plan, I think of Ernie and recommit myself to eating healthy and exercising daily. <3 Wendy
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies - We're back from a weekend celebrating my birthday (early) with my lifelong friends. It was a great time with birthday cake and birthday cookies. I had a sliver (one of my girlfriends informed me it wasn't a sliver because it wasn't big enough to count as a sliver) of cake and 1/2 a frosted sugar cookie. Delicious! My eating the rest of the day was great so there shouldn't be any damage besides the sodium from all the restaurant food, bbq, chips and homemade salsa, fajita meat and veggies, etc. I have been drinking even more water than usual because I am on an antibiotic that they say can cause kidney stones. I think my sodium was depleted horribly as a result so I needed a good dose of sodium anyway :) . Prayers for all in the path of Irma.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have drank my fist bottle of prep for colonoscopy. Most vile stuff I have ever tasted. Then of course you have to immediately drink 20 oz of water. You want o just to get the taste out of your mouth. Now I have eaten some lime jello and drinking Sprite. I am so cold. In the bathroom I have a blanket and glasses so if I have time to pick up my iPad with me while I sit I can at lead read with my comfy blanket on. But boy am I cold. And to think I asked to have this done. I have been off of the medicine doc ordered to slow down my bowels. I went off that on Wednesday and today I was given a rough awakening of what it is like to not make it to the bathroom in time. I enjoyed my medicine for several months and not have any accidents .

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce I just had a colonoscopy last month. I know what you're going through and luckily, this too will pass :# sorry. I know the prep is tough, but you are one tough lady. I also watched tv on the iPad like you to while away the time. Just think, you will have this done and dusted by tomorrow. Good luck, NYKAREN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    Ernie found a way that worked for her, on her particular path. I think we all have to forge our own individual paths but we can certainly learn tips and techniques from those who are successful in staying young and healthy. Ernie was inspired by the movie Rocky, and she took to drinking/eating egg whites as part of her diet. She gets up very early every day (like 2;30am) to do her devotions and say her prayers, then goes for a before- dark run with a group of other early runners. She teaches an exercise class for older people at her church and she inspires thousands of people through her facebook page. I think she follows a very basic diet and eats the same foods over and over. There is a sample meal plan in her book. When I fall off my plan, I think of Ernie and recommit myself to eating healthy and exercising daily. <3 Wendy

Wendy
    - thank you so much for posting about her! <3<3 When I started strength training, I thought my goal isn't to be Ernestine but if she could start to get in shape later in life, there's no reason I couldn't as well. So she's kind of been an inspiration in the background - what little I knew about her (I think I saw an interview on PBS years ago?)

I'm going to check out her FB page and her book. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I remember my last colonoscopy prep making me very, very cold as well. I've had 3, plus had to do the prep before my hysterectomy and only remember being cold the one time.

We rearranged the garage so that both cars would fit. Dave usually parks in the driveway. We moved all the fly away stuff into the house and plan to bungee cord the porch furniture to the railings as soon as the wind starts to pick up. Still need to catch more water. Schools are all closed and Dave's doctor appointment was cancelled. This is the first time I ever remember prepping for a hurricane.

Re insurance in Florida: I don't understand it either. My friend who lives here now but owns two houses in Florida says they don't have hurricane or flood insurance on those houses because it is too expensive. I have no idea if hurricane and/or flood damage are excluded from our homeowners insurance because it's never been a concern before. I assume any damage from our house would come from a tornado, which surely is covered or why even have the stuff?

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

Re insurance in Florida: I don't understand it either. My friend who lives here now but owns two houses in Florida says they don't have hurricane or flood insurance on those houses because it is too expensive. I have no idea if hurricane and/or flood damage are excluded from our homeowners insurance because it's never been a concern before. I assume any damage from our house would come from a tornado, which surely is covered or why even have the stuff?

Windstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes are covered in most standard policies .... I just read .... UNLESS you live in an area that is prone to higher than usual occurrences of these types of storms ... like the coastal areas of Florida ... or tornado alley. Then, you usually have to buy a rider or endorsement to add coverage to your basic policy. Flooding from these types of storms are never part of a standard policy and always require a rider. But if your house is damaged by rain that comes from a missing roof ... then that water damage is covered. And yes, the insurance is expensive but you can get it.

So my policy here near Buffalo would generally cover me from wind damage from tornadoes and hurricanes as we're not in an area prone to tornadoes and hurricanes. Gee isn't that wonderful? Although we had a tornado just down the street this past August... it was an anomaly. And a hurricane ... well that ain't gonna happen up here.

I do carry earthquake insurance because we live near a northeastern fault line ... my insurance friend laughs every time I tell him about it ... and the coverage is marginal at best. But I figured it was better than nothing. And hey ... you never know.

Insurance is a racket to be certain!

Beth
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, spent most of the day watching the news. Husbands nephew is close to Miami so he's very worried. He lives with his dad right now and because his dad wasn't leaving he didn't. Husband didn't sleep last night. Haven't had a text from him in about 4hrs. Nervous not knowing what is going on.

Got the house all cleaned. I like to come back from a trip to a clean house. My foot hasn't been too bad as I've pretty much been staying off of it. Tightened the straps on my new bathing suit so that my boobs aren't down around my waist. Hopefully I'll get a chance to wear it. I've been watching the weather in Delaware and has been in the 70s. Perfect weather for me as I sweat so much.

Weight today a little less but have been going up then down daily. 209 today. 210 yesterday. I probably shouldn't weigh every day but can't help myself.

Thinking of all you that are affected by the hurricane and all you that are struggling with something in your life right now. ((Hugs))

Off to bed to read then sleep. This is my favorite part of the day. Everything that needed to be done is done and it's my time to relax, crawl into bed before my husband comes to bed. Me time! Love it.

Terry in VT ( where the leaves are starting to change- NO! I'm not ready for fall yet)
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Hope you get a good clean result on your colonoscopy. I've had to repeat mine because the prep wasn't optimal. This last time... I still had areas that wolerent clear enough to view the whole field. (Sticky residue.) This year I've boosted my fiber and water to get a cleaner colon. Last year I consumed lots of cheese. It was my habit to have 1.5 oz of cheddar and an ounce of almonds every morning with coffee. So... I cut back on the cheese just to see if that might help. Trying to have more veggies. Salad daily.

--Ginger in Texas
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Gloria, are you saying that the chili and broccoli cleaned you out? Lol

Kay, it sounds interesting to help with preparing the food bags. It also sounds like they had it organized well. 31,000 is a lot of bags of food!

Alyson, welcome. This is a great place for support so come often.

M, cool ship. Hope you both enjoyed your cruise.

NYKaren, so glad you had a better night’s sleep. I hope it continues.

Katla, I hope you and Arrow had fun together. How about a picture once in a while?

Heather, I can’t remember if you have seen a doctor about that cough?? I sure hope it gets better soon. It is sad to lose a close friend when you are used to spending time with them. I’m sad for you.

Lanette, I had to laugh reading about your DH who has enough friends. I had a good friend years ago that didn’t want to associate with a new person in our Newcomers group and said she already had enough friends. I have never forgotten that. I on the other hand, have room in my life for tons and tons of friends. <3 We also have a dog that doesn’t like wet feet. He will hang his tail half off the sidewalk and sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. LOL

Joyce, I agree that any tragedy belongs to all of the United States. That is one reason I’m so disappointed that not one station is giving us any information on how the people in Houston and other areas are doing. I want to know and still worry about them.

Kim, it was good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you today so your timing was perfect. Do drop in when you can.

Joyce, I hope the rest of the night goes easy with your prep.. Stay warm, too.

Beth, we aren’t near the ocean and aren’t in a flood plain but we carry Flood Insurance. I can’t imagine every having an opportunity to use it but better safe than sorry. I was in insurance years ago and I just know that “rising water” is not covered. Our homeowner’s does cover Wind and Hail so we are set for anything. The Flood Insurance automatically comes with a high deductible and isn’t great coverage.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I didn’t see it but DH told me that he read some of the cruise ships will go to the islands with Ida damage to help with relief efforts. That was nice to hear. I hope all of you are safe.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Fri did an hour of an extremecardio DVD then drove to VA. Fri night Jess and I drove to PA to decorate the cake for the shower. Sat. did 30 minutes of a Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD, today I did about 45 minutes of a Prevention Slim and Strong DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the Beach Body Sampler DVD, hold my plank, then go to the extremepump class.

Welcome everyone new!

Terry - I didn't have to worry about throwing out a cake. I have never in my entire life been so insulted as I was. We were having a nice time. I was surprised how few people there were there. After dinner, suddenly there is this tiramsu and cannoli there, I had no idea where they came from. Well, we go to settle up the bill and Amanda tells me that the waitress asked her if she wanted tiramsu and cannoli and she said "sure". She knew d*** good and well that I made the cake, she saw the two cakes. She said "I wanted to be sure there was enough". How much does she think people can eat???????? Then...after she slaps me in the face and Jess (who I thought did a great job of decorating) she has the gall to ask me to pay more than the 1/3 I told them I would pay for Jess. Maria told me that she'd pay Angela's portion (who had to work. I don't know about that, maybe it was just something she said. If I knew that there was a shower that I was expected to be at and I knew it for months, I would make sure I was there). Amanda asks me "how is Maria going to get the money? She doesn't even know Angela" I just told her "I don't know, she said she'd get the money from her" Not my problem how she's going to get the money. Amanda said that she didn't think we'd be charged for the tiramsu and cannoli (really, regardless, they shouldn't have been ordered at all). She wanted me to pay more than the 1/3 "because Maria paid for the desserts". I had made the cakes and she knew it! I just said to her "of course we'll get billed". What planet is she on? She made a big point of saying how she was in 10 weddings. And she didn't know that you'd get billed for something extra? Or maybe she didn't do anything at these weddings.

Michele L from NC - do you know that my last name begins with an "L" too???? What part of NC are you in? I'm in Newton. Welcome

Mary - I'd be willing to bet that you feel the way you do because of all the carbs. I know when I have a good amount of carbs, I feel terrible.

DJ - I don't think we're going to get much wind. Fortunately for us, the hurricane seems to be going towards TN

Met a lady at the Love's station on my way home today. She said she was an evacuee from FL and that they would probably lose everything. So sad

Lenora - thanks for asking about the shower. It was supposed to start at 1, Denise didn't get there until 2:45, people didn't get there until 2-2:30. They didn't have time to play any games. I thought I was gracious, I greeted people, talked to them. I did welcome everyone and apologized for any confusion about the invitations. I did start to tear up, it was my daughter's shower. Then the incident with the cake.

Maria posted this thing on Facebook "thank you Amanda for a wonderful shower" so I posted back "what did I ever do to Amanda to deserve to be treated the way I was? whatever I've done was unintentional. I will apologize, but first I need to know what it is that I did". Well, Denise called to say she was taking down my post because she doesn't want any drama. Vince got on the phone and asked her if Maria gave any credit to Jess. I told Denise "the answer is 'no'" So at Vince's prodding, she took down my post but added something about thanking Angela, Amanda and especially Jess for all her hard work orgnizing a lovely shower". She did post the pic of the cakes I made. I'll post a pic at the end. So it's all right for Maria and her family to insult us, but we can't say anything because that'll be drama for Denise. Got it.

Bryan sent Denise an email that he wasn't coming to her wedding because (get this) "he has to think about his mental wellbeing" whatever the h*** that means.

I admit that I am sick to my stomach about all this wedding/shower crap and how Denise doesn't seem to care about her own family but Maria (who thinks Amanda walks on water) is so so wonderful.

Denise did start crying when I gave her the placq. Pete came at the end and that was the one gift she showed him

Michele in NC

3icwtlxcpqai.jpg

yzwj0rltd2g9.jpg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    I don't have an instant pot but a good friend has one. She eats totally dairy free and she shared the recipe she used for dairy free yogurt using her instant pot.

Here is the link to the recipe:

sweet-treats-baking.blogspot.com/2015/09/two-ingredient-instant-pot-coconut-milk.html
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I am so sorry about the shower. I can't imagine what the wedding and any baby shower will be right. I think you need to start practicing meditation.

It has been an intense night for this prep. Not a hurricane but never the less intense. I have now had to wash all 3 heavy house oats, house shoes, bathroom rug, blanket I had on me and socks. I am just going to have both my iPad and phone plugged in the bathroom, water and my prep in the bathroom and stay in there for all 4 hours. We have a sturdy tv table/tray and I may just put a pillow on it and try to rest. I guess I have forgotten how much your belly just burns right after you take it. I wonder if this. Urging is how Charlie felt with his ulcerative colitis.

I hope everyone is safe from this storm as it continues to move up into Georgia and beyond. DJ! Are you out of danger. The one thing I did find interesting was the empty ocean bed.

Joyce, Indiana