Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Your ornaments are works of art.

Michele - Don't let that woman make you miss your daughter's shower. Poor Denise. She must feel so torn up being in the middle of everything.

Lenore - I just read your sad news. I am sorry for your family's loss.

KJ - I think a lot of women can identify with what you are going through. Honest conversation may help and also being the initiator at times.

Dana - Zech and Gabby are adorable.

Carol - Praying for your son and his wife. Drugs and drink sure can cause problems.

Wendy - Clara is precious.

Karen in VA - Another baby on the way? That is absolutely awesome!

I have made it to pg 15 tonight. I've read everything and am trying to get back in the swing of things.

Back from the failed fishing trip to a failed fridge. I couldn't believe it this morning. I spent half my day throwing away food and cleaning the fridge. Quite a mess.

Dragged my sister out of bed and out to supper. I let her guilt me into sharing the appetizer platter with her. I know better.

The guys went to Monster Jam in Calgary. They all said the first half was boring but the second was better. They were agreement that they had done it and now they don't have to again.

Having my own version of bridal shower drama but won't get into it tonight.

Definitely not looking forward to work tomorrow.

Waterton has been evacuated. No camping allowed in Southern Alberta. Our friends in Okanogan are still on alert. Air quality here is terrible. Supposed to rain for 3 days starting Wednesday. I can't wait.

Feeling put down, frustrated and like nothing is ever good enough.

-Sharon in Smoky Lethbridge.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @exermom ... just remember that this is all about Denise. Not the mothers, not the sisters or cousins or anyone else ... only Denise. And her husband to be, of course.

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    RYE--you are in my thoughts.
    Good morning to us all. Got up to let dogs out and get paper. It is cold here. Two blankets on the bed. I love autumn but it seems a sad time and this is 2 months early. Need to put warmer shoes and a coat by back door. AND WEAR SOCKS TO BED. I take an anti-depressant but it gives me dreams so I filter out the memories of those and go back to bed to just sleep. I think I am getting sick (weather change) and I did not get my flu shot this weekend. I will have to wait the week to be sure we are okay and then I will call work to see if shots are free or covered. Have a great week, my friends.
    Suffolk, VA
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Monday ... back to my hectic Mondays again!

Work
    Walk to university (3 km)
    University
    Studying in between tutorial (lab) and lecture
    Spinning Class at the unigym ... put in a good effort for the 45 min class! Legs are tired!!
    Dinner
    And now about to commence studying for the rest of the evening.

I'm in my home office, wrapped up in a blanket with my sheepskin slippers on. Still quite chilly here.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka – I am jealous you and your DH get to do all the touristy things. When my DH was still in the Marines, he was stationed in Arlington VA where we lived for a year. I could kick myself that I didn’t see all the sights like the Smithsonian, US Capitol and monuments, etc. that were just across the Potomac. Seems like when we’d have time off we’d go exploring along the Appalachian Trail or just see the countryside… which was OK too.

I started visiting tourist attractions back when I moved to Winnipeg many, many years ago. For the first several years, my ex and I couldn't afford to go anywhere, so I'd drag him out to see this and that ... whatever was free or low cost. Then, after he was out of the picture, I started cycling further afield. I'd come back to work and tell people that I'd gone to see things and they would tell me, "I've lived here since I was born, but I've never gone there!" ...

The nomadic me loves to travel, but when I can't cycling as though I were travelling somewhere eases the restlessness. I can pretend to be a tourist just about every weekend. :)

And we did have a lovely 1.5 hour "sail" ... the only down side was that, for the first time since about March, there wasn't much wind. So we had the sails up for a little while, but not long and we motored most of the way.

Depending on how we feel this coming weekend, we might take in a museum or two. Or maybe go canoeing ... who knows!! It will be a bit weather dependent, of course. I won't go out in our canoe in a roaring gale or cold temps.

Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: I agree with your point about weighing twice a day. :star: Thanks for the photo of the Lady Nelson. The Lady Washington used to visit our town on a regular basis but we haven't seen it in several years. It may be in Florida, for all I know. It was the pirate ship in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. DH & I took a ride on it one year. :bigsmile:

That would have been cool ... I would have like that! :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Mashka, when I was pregnant with my first daughter, sometimes I could have some pretty fierce dreams. I really had never heard of the Australian area of Tasmania but cartoons did show us the Tasmanian Devil. We lived in a house that had a pretty rough basement. So one night I dreamt of this Tasmanian Devil going at the whirlwind pace the cartoons always showed him. But he was up in my bedroom terrorizing me.

Joyce, Indiana

:)

But a real Tasmanian Devil is quite different to the cartoon. I can see some similarities, but not much. I have a huge stuffed Taz sitting on top of the shelf above my desk here in my home office. :)

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    <3Michele, I'm sorry you had a rough time at the shower. I offer you two of my "Happiness Commandments"--*don't take things personally
    *don't expect praise or recognition. They have served me well in many situations. Also I agree with the person who said that the shower was about your daughter, not about the mothers or sisters, or cousins or whoever else.

:)Machka, whenever we drive anywhere near where we live, we remind ourselves that many of the other drivers have saved all year to travel from where they live to see the beautiful sights we see every day. My husband has a sign above his computer that says, "If you are lucky enough to live near the water, then you are lucky enough". I see the Olympic Mountains every morning when I walk my dogs. It can't get much better than that.

:) We have three more bags to take to the thrift shop today in addition to quite a bit of paper that went to recycling or the pile to be shredded.

:) The sky is clear this morning so no smoke and no rain so maybe the painters will come back.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Oh my been up since 3 am,I have a migraine starting in my left eye.i don't need this.i hope it goes away before I go to court.. I'm not looking forward to this but it has to be done.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Kim good to hear from you.

Michele the cakes are darling. Good job!

:heart: Margaret
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Michelle - I loved the cakes! You and Jess did a great job!

Allie - Good luck! Hang in there. We are all rooting for you. I hope the headache gets better. I woke up and took headache drugs myself this morning. I am now considering a quick nap before I head out to run errands.

Okie in TX Hill Country
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Michelle I have ever seen anything like those cakes, wow how special!

AllieMy sympathies. When I get my rare migraine I have to curl up and just feel like dieing. I'm so sorry you have that on this already stressful day.

Machka, I think that is wonderful! I'm not as focused but I think I've hit all the high spots in the laces I've lived, I'm a big museum goer, myself - I can always spend an afternoon at a museum, even the same museum - it always amuses me when people say "you are going to the Modern museum Again?!"

Thanks for the good wishes, my fingers are crossed here but I don't know when I might reasonably expect to hear anything. I do know someone who works there ( how I heard about the job) but she doesn't have anything to do with the hiring processes. The job is in the facility owned by a big local hospital, so the hiring processes ate part of an extensive hospital organization rules anot the small facility close by.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    First Michele in NC - At least the shower is finally over - and the cakes are gorgeous. My mother made me a doll cake for every birthday up until I was in junior high. Not sure why - I hated dolls, and wouldn't play with them. Nonetheless, your picture brought back great memories. Your daughter was obviously very touched by your plaque.

Allie - thinking about you. Hope all goes well... and hope the trailer in Florida came through it all OK. Sounds like Irma wasn't nearly as bad as feared in south Florida.

Rye
    - hope it comes through.

Lived in England for six years, all told, two separate three-year military tours separated by an eight-year tour in Montana. Never tired of Stonehenge, which was a good thing, as everyone wanted to go there. Loved Scotland, Cornwall, Wales, but never actually made it over to Ireland. Would still love to go there.

Been on the phone with a foundation executive director all weekend trying to get a tech issue cleared up in order to submit their final report for the grant year. Never actually accomplished that little feat, so it's a fair bet I'll be on the phone with their techies today. Grrf. Got better things to do... but another grant with them is at stake for the upcoming year, so there's a bit riding on it.

Lisa in West Texas
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :):|B)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Michele ~ I am so glad that your shower is finally over and maybe you can relax some before the wedding itself! The cakes were gorgeous and your daughter is lovely!

Lisa ~ Love all the swirls of color! Very pretty!

Rye ~ Crossing fingers that you get the job!

Joyce ~ Wow! So sorry for what you are going through.

Sharon ~ Thanks for prayers for my son. He joined AA last week and tomorrow will be his 7th day.

Kim ~ Thanks so much for checking in! Know that being so busy will be good for your bank account.

Josephine ~ Prayers for you!

All of the schools are closed here today and tomorrow! I am glad that the children will not have to load the buses in bad weather. It is damp and chilly here. We are worried about a tall pine tree that was hit with lightning last summer and just hope it won't get blown over.

Carol in GA