Unwarranted Advice

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Jonesuna64 wrote: »
    I was working out and some young guy who looked like he might have just started to work out (no muscle definition or mass, but had gloves a weight belt and every other "device" imaginable) came up to me and said "You shouldn't curl like that, you wont get the max benefit" I looked him up and down and said "Son if I wanted to look like you, I would work out like you" Put my headphones back in and continued to curl................the wrong way apparently

:D:D:D
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Jonesuna64 wrote: »
    I was working out and some young guy who looked like he might have just started to work out (no muscle definition or mass, but had gloves a weight belt and every other "device" imaginable) came up to me and said "You shouldn't curl like that, you wont get the max benefit" I looked him up and down and said "Son if I wanted to look like you, I would work out like you" Put my headphones back in and continued to curl................the wrong way apparently

I love it when they watch YouTube videos and think they know everything. I actually told a young man at my gym to stop doing that because he was squatting in a way that looked like he was going to tip over. I made a couple of suggestions and within 60 secs he had improved.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'll regret this but....what is blended fruit. I'm not interested in buying into hype, I just don't understand (eg is it literally blended to a puree)? I'm a CICO person through and through. If you want to intermittent fast or do low/no carb or whatever, I don't care. Just don't assume what works for your body and lifestyle is THE way to do it instead of A way to do it.

Pureed fruit or fruit blended into a smoothie. Funny part is I use their recipes. Raw or cooked
    fruit and veggies have no points. Veggies and fruit in a smoothie have points. But a pureed all vegetable soup has none. Ha.

Ummm, wow, people really think this? I'd love to have a huge bowl of corn or unlimited carrots and peas. I love those super starchy veggies. Who knew I could assume they have no calories. SMH. This picture is not directed at you, it is directed at whomever came up with that nonsense (and the desperate people that believe it). ghk8cz2hjbjy.jpg

The last time I did WW was about 5 years ago, but starchy vegetables and avocados were not zero points. Carrots and onions were zero points raw but acquired points when cooked.

The last time I did WW was probably over 30 years ago. We were told to limit fruit because it's just sugar, and if you don't like fruit, just substitute a candy bar, cause it's just sugar, too. So it's all the same.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'll regret this but....what is blended fruit. I'm not interested in buying into hype, I just don't understand (eg is it literally blended to a puree)? I'm a CICO person through and through. If you want to intermittent fast or do low/no carb or whatever, I don't care. Just don't assume what works for your body and lifestyle is THE way to do it instead of A way to do it.

Pureed fruit or fruit blended into a smoothie. Funny part is I use their recipes. Raw or cooked
    fruit and veggies have no points. Veggies and fruit in a smoothie have points. But a pureed all vegetable soup has none. Ha.

Ummm, wow, people really think this? I'd love to have a huge bowl of corn or unlimited carrots and peas. I love those super starchy veggies. Who knew I could assume they have no calories. SMH. This picture is not directed at you, it is directed at whomever came up with that nonsense (and the desperate people that believe it). ghk8cz2hjbjy.jpg

The last time I did WW was about 5 years ago, but starchy vegetables and avocados were not zero points. Carrots and onions were zero points raw but acquired points when cooked.

The last time I did WW was probably over 30 years ago. We were told to limit fruit because it's just sugar, and if you don't like fruit, just substitute a candy bar, cause it's just sugar, too. So it's all the same.

Speechless
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    That I should drink my water at room temperature to burn fat.
    I was told to drink it with ice because it makes our body warm it up, which burns more calories.
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    That you should never ever drink any water with your meals because it will dilute your stomach acid and your food won't get digested.
    You should drink a glass of water before your meal, so you feel full faster.

And I was told to drink hot coffee or tea with meals, it keeps everything more liquid so you digest it faster.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Uh oh; I am calling out another poster - people who tell me I can increase muscle mass while losing weight. With some very limited exceptions, that ain't happening...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit#latest
    You mean like this?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Uh oh; I am calling out another poster - people who tell me I can increase muscle mass while losing weight. With some very limited exceptions, that ain't happening...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit#latest
    You mean like this?

Exactly like that. I love that - "Based on research" - without a reference to what studies.

EDIT - note that I said "with some very limited exceptions" - there have been examples of it with specific age range and body conditions before the diet and exercise.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You mean like this?

Exactly like that. I love that - "Based on research" - without a reference to what studies.

Look again. I linked the article which has references.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

You mean like this?

I followed a few links. "strength increased" on the first bunch. then there is one with a gain in soft tissue LBM. You would think if one of the studies actually shows an increase in muscle it would be one of the first links. You can absolutely increase strength while losing. I became a pretty fair runner, completing my first half marathon 10 months after being unable to jog a mile without stopping. My legs were stronger. I also lost 62# during those 10 months. But I didn't have more muscle mass in the legs; I actually had a little less.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Conversely, that you should drink ice water so your body would use more energy warming it up.

Both of these from the same person a few weeks apart.

With that ice water response my first thought would be great then strip naked and go into a walk in freezer. that should burn alot of calories there. bwhahahahahahaha
  • psuLemon
    Options

You mean like this?

I followed a few links. "strength increased" on the first bunch. then there is one with a gain in soft tissue LBM. You would think if one of the studies actually shows an increase in muscle it would be one of the first links. You can absolutely increase strength while losing. I became a pretty fair runner, completing my first half marathon 10 months after being unable to jog a mile without stopping. My legs were stronger. I also lost 62# during those 10 months. But I didn't have more muscle mass in the legs; I actually had a little less.

Running doesnt build muscle, it builds endurance. If you go pick up some weights and follow a progressive overload program, that can change.
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Anything I have.... my same foods I eat I don’t like an interference in that
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Conversely, that you should drink ice water so your body would use more energy warming it up.

With that ice water response my first thought would be great then strip naked and go into a walk in freezer. that should burn alot of calories there. bwhahahahahahaha

That's actually a thing. Like a tanning booth but a freezer to help you lose weight :#
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

That's actually a thing. Like a tanning booth but a freezer to help you lose weight :#

Its called cryotherapy, tried it once, almost passed out after only about 30 seconds. Had read that it was good for recovery as well as fat loss. Now I just take a shot of cold water in the shower after a tough training day.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »

Its called cryotherapy, tried it once, almost passed out after only about 30 seconds. Had read that it was good for recovery as well as fat loss. Now I just take a shot of cold water in the shower after a tough training day.

Ugh, I've seen pros in ice baths. Made me glad that I've chosen a profession that has minimal physical requirements XD
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been told that cutting carbs is the only way to lose weight and they count for more calories then what they are. My mom lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet but ended up needing her gallbladder removed and she blames the diet. So if I don't eat a carb with a meal she worries I'm low carb. Nope just didn't want the roll with the meal.

My husband told some of his coworkers and one is a baseball coach and he said it was okay if I didnt lose much weight because I'm a woman who has had 2 kids. Thank you. When the babies pop out your fat cells never deflate. I've only lost over 20 lbs after 2 kids.