Options

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    my mom (always been thin) is a wonder of click bait listicle advice

things she's said recently,and put into practice:
    start every day with hot water with lemon to jump start your metabolism
    start every day with half an avocado (presumably after the lemon water?)
    swimming is the only exercise that makes you more hungry so don't do it or you'll eat more and gain weight
    sugar is the devil
    sodium is the devil

and she sends me pretty much EVERY facebook article about the 5 foods you never should eat
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Great thread

I'm only 90 days in and lost only 36lbs so not had any negative comments.

Plus I work at home so no one to see what I eat.

Great stories guys gave me a giggle..

Oh yeah, I'm not one for drinking gallons of water but I have been told I'll never lose weight if I don't drink plenty.

Currently dropping 2.8lbs per week on average for 13 weeks and not drinking much water
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm brining back this thread because my Boss just lectured me for half an hour about how we only need 20 grams of protein a day and we can get that all from broccoli. Silly me tried to say there is such this as a protein deficiency to which she replied "no there's not, people who say that are just low on folic acid". It is going to be a looooong rest of the day at the office!

ETA: She got all this from watching "what the health". Is the work day over yet?

Just smile and say, 'well now that's interesting' and go on with your day.

Yes I know you are right, I just don't want to see her hurt herself.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet soda. You can imagine what I hear weekly, and it's surprisingly never about teeth.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    enforce537 wrote: »
    My first post but I have to share this. My mother-in-law this week alone:
    -Food made from wheat based flour will make you gain weight automatically because your body can't digest it.

lol. I hear this a lot too. It's one of my favorites. But if you actually can't digest it, shouldn't that be helpful for weight loss since you would be just pooping it all out before your body got any of the calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    -Food made from wheat based flour will make you gain weight automatically because your body can't digest it.

lol. I hear this a lot too. It's one of my favorites. But if you actually can't digest it, shouldn't that be helpful for weight loss since you would be just pooping it all out before your body got any of the calories?

Yep. That is exactly how a malabsorption issue works and why those with them struggle to keep weight on.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sarjenki wrote: »

Yep. That is exactly how a malabsorption issue works and why those with them struggle to keep weight on.

Lol, I was just going to say that. That's why it annoys me when people who know I have malabsorption issues tell me to eat bagels and refined carbs to gain weight.

That's not how this works.

• klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find it really annoying when I mention anything I'm experimenting with in diet/fitness to anyone who has ever had an opinion on the subject because 95% of the time that person believes their way is the ONLY way and wants to lecture me about why I'm doing it "wrong".
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have to say that the most annoying recently is people who HAVE lost the weight who swear it was because of their special diet i.e. vegan, gluten free, keto, etc.
    Ugh I have to keep my mouth shut. It’s like okay...that special diet was just a means to a calorie deficit. The calorie deficit is what did it. But noooooooo they swear it was the gluten. Face palm
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    my company got invited to test some kind of health project recently...comes with workoutplan, dietplan and videos to reduce stress...

I asked if it was just another low carb diet...and they said "no no..this is food for everyone"...

I got the costplan and was mildly in shock...they suggest I eat 2400 kcal a day (female, 77 kg and 168 cm)..excercise less than 2 hours a week to loose weight...and the diet is insanely protein packed...

I read the plan, tossed it away as I dont believe those numbers....

Then I reactivated my account in here, and have since had a small but consistent weightloss each week (1,5 kg in 4 weeks)...with a net kcal/day of about 1200-1300:) I eat my bread, my vegetables and some protein each day :)