Unwarranted Advice

Replies

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    I had someone tell me I should only eat 1200 calories a day. If I did nothing all day, every day, I burn over 2800 calories a day metabolism alone! Everyone's a nutrition expert!
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    I had someone tell me I should only eat 1200 calories a day. If I did nothing all day, every day, I burn over 2800 calories a day metabolism alone! Everyone's a nutrition expert!

I've had people tell me to NEVER EVER eat less than 1200 calories in a day or my body will go into "Starvation mode" LMAO... I have several 800/900 calorie days when I'm very sedentary and not hungry. Don't worry - it's always made up for right before my period when I have to eat 1800 calories!

My IF friends have 500 cal days and nobody seems to bat an eye at them!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    garber6th wrote: »
    I had lost about 50 lbs at this point when a coworker saw me eating a bag of chips. Of course I had them figured into my calories for the day. He looked at me and said, "That's not a good choice". I just shoved a handful of chips in my face and walked away.

A couple of months ago a coworker was telling me about a video he watched on Netflix and as a result he became vegan and he tried to tell me how great it was and how veggies have more protein than meat (is that even possible???). He really tried to persuade me to watch the video because it would change my life. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he's back eating meat again. This is the same guy who told me that studies show that your water will be better for you if you talk to it.

I'm no doctor or psychiatrist. But it appears this male suffers from a mental health issue.

Talk to your water ??? Unbelievable

I've actually heard about this, and here it is lol. http://highexistence.com/water-experiment/
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I had lost about 50 lbs at this point when a coworker saw me eating a bag of chips. Of course I had them figured into my calories for the day. He looked at me and said, "That's not a good choice". I just shoved a handful of chips in my face and walked away.

A couple of months ago a coworker was telling me about a video he watched on Netflix and as a result he became vegan and he tried to tell me how great it was and how veggies have more protein than meat (is that even possible???). He really tried to persuade me to watch the video because it would change my life. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he's back eating meat again. This is the same guy who told me that studies show that your water will be better for you if you talk to it.

I'm no doctor or psychiatrist. But it appears this male suffers from a mental health issue.

I've actually heard about this, and here it is lol. http://highexistence.com/water-experiment/

This guy HAD to have read this exact article!!! This is all exactly what he was telling me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I had a friend once tell me that women should never eat more than 1000 calories per day and men never more than 2000. He was chastising my about my lunch and I was already at a healthy weight and not trying to lose. He was talking about maintenance.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

You took more time to look it up than I did. :smiley:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    susanp57 wrote: »

Ironically, I have heard about it for years. It's the combination of carbs + protein, to replenish glycogen stores and induce muscle protein synthesis. Unfortunately, it may apply to endurance athletes, but has a rather limited application outside of that. For the calories, you don't get enough protein/carbs for the "optimal" range, which is about 30 to 40g of carbs + 25 -30g of protein (depending on leucine content).
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    susanp57 wrote: »

Ironically, I have heard about it for years. It's the combination of carbs + protein, to replenish glycogen stores and induce muscle protein synthesis. Unfortunately, it may apply to endurance athletes, but has a rather limited application outside of that. For the calories, you don't get enough protein/carbs for the "optimal" range, which is about 30 to 40g of carbs + 25 -30g of protein (depending on leucine content).

Yep, I first heard about it when I was cycling longer distances.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member

Lmao oh my God
  • garber6th wrote: »

LOL, unbelievable. I get the mind is powerful but there's no way I would be caught speaking to my water
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    That I should drink my water at room temperature to burn fat.
    I was told to drink it with ice because it makes our body warm it up, which burns more calories.

I discovered for myself the hard way that drinking ice-cold water immediately after an intense workout could cause stomach cramping. It was not a fun half-hour...
  • kljfo
    kljfo Posts: 10 Member
    Oh! And my favorite: "your metabolism slows down if you don't eat enough which slows weight loss."

Urghhh this! I really hate being told this too!