Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    enforce537 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    enforce537 wrote: »
    My first post but I have to share this. My mother-in-law this week alone:
    -Ice water turns food directly to fat. Only hot drinks should be consumed.
    -Low carb and organic is the only way to lose weight.
    -Food made from wheat based flour will make you gain weight automatically because your body can't digest it.
    -You need to have a superfood shake every morning to jump start your metabolism. (No idea what is in this other than broccoli and hemp protein powder but it must be served warm).
    -Apple cider vinegar should be drank twice a day to flush toxins.
    -All sugar is the devil unless its organic maple syrup or honey. Then you can have as much as you want because its healthy.
    -Any oil other than extra virgin olive oil will make you gain weight but olive oil will make you lose it so put it in everything.
    I'm sure there's more but I've started to tune her out. The 20+ pounds I've lost so far doing CICO are going to come right back though because I'm not eating the right foods lol.

She sounds...um...challenging :) Does she follow all these rules herself?

Yes she does. Including the warm shakes. Yuck!

I have cold shakes in warm weather and room temperature shakes in cold weather.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    I have a woman at work who has been obsessed over my weight loss... mostly because she has a few pounds to lose and hasn't been able to do it and because I have lost 70lbs so she is constantly giving me unwanted advice on how to "lose weight". She is constantly making comments about me eating fruit... You know it is HIGH IN SUGARS... ya, natural sugars and I am not diabetic so... (insert eye roll here) She has also made comments about the amount of water I drink during the day and any time I eat Tuna Fish, because "you know what they say about eating too much tuna fish" I don't claim to know much about anything, all I do know is that I have been able to lose weight and more importantly, my most recent blood test, show that I am spot on with my nutrients and show no deficiencies sooooooo... (insert tongue biting here) LOL :pB)

If you're eating tuna several times a week, I see where she is coming from (although I don't approve of her methods.)

Due to mercury contamination, the EPA recommends limiting tuna to a serving a week. Standard blood work doesn't test mercury levels, and this wouldn't be considered a deficiency.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/UCM537120.pdf

It depends on the Tuna, canned(which most people are talking about) light tuna (aka skipjack, I buy chunk light)) is 2-3 servings a week and Tuna thats NOT skipjack chunklight is one serving a week. I eat a lot of seafood but I eat on the lower end of the mercury scale, I probably eat well more than what is recommended but had my mercury level checked and it was fine. Just stay on the low end.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Multiple variations on the theme of friends who have not lost weight (but want to and would be healthier if they did) telling me I can't lose weight unless I do X . . . where X is something I have not done throughout losing 50+ pounds down to a healthy weight.

The usual X is "go low carb". Funniest was the (overweight) friend who got quite indignant when I said low carb wasn't required. She said she had "read all the books over the winter and they all said you have to go low carb." She was completely unfazed by the visibly obvious fact that what I had done all winter (plus summer/fall) was lose around 1/3 of my body weight while still eating carbs! ;)

Continues to amaze me that people feel that they can make comments about 'my' body. I usually am a kind person :) and am reluctant to say what's on my mind when it can hurt someone's feelings. However, when this kind of rudeness is coming to me, it annoys me so much that I am getting better at giving it back. As in, a response to the effect of 'how's that working for you?'
    :o
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    That you shouldn't eat after 6:00 PM.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »
    Was also told once that once you have extra fat cells even if you lose the fat the cells are still there waiting to blow up again....?

Yes, it's true, unfortunately.
    Dynamics of fat cell turnover in humans
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yaranak wrote: »
    What's the most annoying unwarranted advice that you've ever received about your diet?

Mine was today at the gym, when I mentioned that I would like to do a body analysis at the gym before my breakfast/workout. The owner said "oh no! you should always eat a snack before working out, and never eat carbohydrates after working out". :#
    Yaranak wrote: »
    What's the most annoying unwarranted advice that you've ever received about your diet?

Mine was today at the gym, when I mentioned that I would like to do a body analysis at the gym before my breakfast/workout. The owner said "oh no! you should always eat a snack before working out, and never eat carbohydrates after working out". :#

Uffff believe me, mamy of those trainerd are not qualified to provide feedbacks regarding food. My trainer told me to eat carbs after and before my workout session and this week I gained 3 pounds because I followed his advice. I would honestly tell you to research on youtube and google before trying a diet and I used intermittent fasting 16:8 plus keto diet and I lost 40 pounds aaaaand avoid telling dumb people what you are doing especially at the gym because they will tell you dumb things. And this apply at the suplement stores because they know nothing about products too

I've been following Renaissance Periodization, even though I'm pretty much eating the same amount of calories and macros I was before though not losing any weight, RP has me eating the bulk of my carbs before and after training, surprised at how quickly the fat began to come off without me losing strength. Maybe I'm a "special snowflake", but I'm liking the results so far.