Unwarranted Advice

Options

Replies

• rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love reading all of these and I have to admit, I used to believe much of this before joining MFP. Although I never gave out advice to anyone.
    I particularly love the Atkins and Mediterranean diet stuff.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Protein too!
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    When ppl assume I'm saying my way is the only way when someone asks "What has worked for you."

I am always curious what different people do when they are finding success. It gives me new ideas to try or adapt! :smiley:

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    For a short time I was seeing a trainer who was highly recommended to me. Here are a couple of conversations I had with her:

Trainer: You NEED to eat breakfast when you get up in the morning.
    Me: Why? I am not hungry first thing in the morning.
    Trainer: You have been fasting all night while you sleep and you need to jumpstart your metabolism.
    Me: I lost about 200 lbs, I had to learn to NOT eat when I wasn't hungry, so you are now telling me to ignore all that and eat when I am not hungry because I NEED to?
    Trainer: yes

Though on the other extreme a person in a FB group was throwing a fit and decided to go off a medication because "it made her gain weight."
    How did it make her gain weight? It's a med that you need to take with food to not damage your stomach and instead of setting her times to take it at meal times, or just eating a little snack like a piece of cheese or some crackers when taking it, she was taking it away from meal times and eating two extra meals a day when she took it.

(I've lost 20 lbs while taking this same medication)

Sometimes you do need to eat, like when you take meds, and you totally should work it out so that you can. To not do that and blame the meds on the weight gain is a little crazy!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    For a short time I was seeing a trainer who was highly recommended to me. Here are a couple of conversations I had with her:

Trainer: You NEED to eat breakfast when you get up in the morning.
    Me: Why? I am not hungry first thing in the morning.
    Trainer: You have been fasting all night while you sleep and you need to jumpstart your metabolism.
    Me: I lost about 200 lbs, I had to learn to NOT eat when I wasn't hungry, so you are now telling me to ignore all that and eat when I am not hungry because I NEED to?
    Trainer: yes

Trainer: what have you been eating?
    Me: Meat, fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese, yogurt
    Trainer: No! Don't eat dairy!!!
    Me: Why?
    Trainer: It's so horrible for you!
    Me: But you feed your kid dairy, right?
    Trainer: that's different

Needless to say... I stopped going to her. My old trainer used to tell me to make sure I had some pizza and a black and white cookie when I would go back to NY to visit my family, but don't go TOO crazy. His style was much better!

Oh yeah, "you should eat breakfast". I get that one all the time. Though I got it before I needed to lose weight too. It always struck me as funny the number of people that would tell me I needed to eat breakfast to be healthy. I mean I was in my 40's never been overweight, zero health problems and they are telling me this. ::laugh::

Exactly, like I lost a *kitten* ton of weight without eating breakfast, and I am super healthy, and telling me to eat when I am not hungry is completely counter intuitive and makes zero sense... at least the way she explained it!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    That I should drink my water at room temperature to burn fat.
    I was told to drink it with ice because it makes our body warm it up, which burns more calories.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That I should drink my water at room temperature to burn fat.
    I was told to drink it with ice because it makes our body warm it up, which burns more calories.

That is true. You will burn more calories by drinking iced drinks than room temperature. But it's a really tiny amount. If you switched from drinking every drink at room temperature to drinking them all iced you might burn enough calories to lose 1 lb per year.