Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat less vegetables now just because I eat less than I did before but a day that looks like this (fruit & vegetables in the morning, salad for lunch and roasted vegetables for dinner) isn't unusual and I imagine it is a lot of vegetables for most (low carb or not):
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

Summary: 2.5 pounds or 14 servings of vegetables, 37 net carbs

Based on the current rage, i suspect most new keto'ers would freak out with those carb totals. And i suspect, its not the norm. But definitely impressive that you can pull that off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I eat less vegetables now just because I eat less than I did before but a day that looks like this (fruit & vegetables in the morning, salad for lunch and roasted vegetables for dinner) isn't unusual and I imagine it is a lot of vegetables for most (low carb or not):
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

That's similar to how I was eating when ketoing, and I believe I was in ketosis, but I kept getting the message for others that "keto" should be lower and I wasn't doing it right, and all the people posting about starting kept getting the advice to stay below 20 or certainly below 50 g carbs total.

I totally agree that if you stick to below 50 g net and focus on getting those primarily from vegetables that it can be done. It's the advice that you should aim for below 20 and even that as low as possible is better, that 5 g carbs is something to consider a perfect day, that I found problematic. NOT for people who want to try carnivore or who think they have a problem with veg (not my business, different things work for different people), but as what seems to be the message some places for how keto should be done.

I DON'T mean the main keto/low carb thread here, where I think all kinds of ways of low carbing are done and people are non judgmental, but many parts of the keto world and in many of the challenges I saw on MFP. I basically could not have done most of the keto challenges, since too many veg. Which is fine, since I had been around enough not to be discouraged from what I was doing, but I think this does tell some newbies they are better off NOT eating many veg.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

Based on the current rage, i suspect most new keto'ers would freak out with those carb totals. And i suspect, its not the norm. But definitely impressive that you can pull that off.

Even half of that is 7 servings (19g net carbs) and more than most Americans eat. Diet quality typically improves when people are instructed to eat low carb - it's as much of a confounder as protein is in low carb diet studies.

P.S. I don't normally eat 2.5 pounds of produce. I love vegetables and eat them with every meal because I enjoy them but 200-300g (or 2-4 servings) a meal is more than enough for me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

Taking 37 net carbs would only come up at 235 calories instead of 278.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

That's similar to how I was eating when ketoing, and I believe I was in ketosis, but I kept getting the message for others that "keto" should be lower and I wasn't doing it right, and all the people posting about starting kept getting the advice to stay below 20 or certainly below 50 g carbs total.

I totally agree that if you stick to below 50 g net and focus on getting those primarily from vegetables that it can be done. It's the advice that you should aim for below 20 and even that as low as possible is better, that 5 g carbs is something to consider a perfect day, that I found problematic. NOT for people who want to try carnivore or who think they have a problem with veg (not my business, different things work for different people), but as what seems to be the message some places for how keto should be done.

I DON'T mean the main keto/low carb thread here, where I think all kinds of ways of low carbing are done and people are non judgmental, but many parts of the keto world and in many of the challenges I saw on MFP. I basically could not have done most of the keto challenges, since too many veg. Which is fine, since I had been around enough not to be discouraged from what I was doing, but I think this does tell some newbies they are better off NOT eating many veg.

I think the 20g carb limit allows for more than enough vegetables and is reasonable in that it ensures ketosis - which is important when telling people to eat to satiety. It's more restrictive than need be for a lot of people I imagine but it's a reasonable suggestion for a ketogenic diet.

That said, I do really, really hate the less-carbs-the-better-fat-bombs-protein-turns-to-sugar keto mentality you'll find some places but there's more sources for good information than bad I think (for those who care, some don't).
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited October 2017
    Options
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

I think the 20g carb limit allows for more than enough vegetables and is reasonable in that it ensures ketosis - which is important when telling people to eat to satiety. It's more restrictive than need be for a lot of people I imagine but it's a reasonable suggestion for a ketogenic diet.

That said, I do really, really hate the less-carbs-the-better-fat-bombs-protein-turns-to-sugar keto mentality you'll find some places but there's more sources for good information than bad I think (for those who care, some don't).

I think we are largely in agreement, although I really disagree that 20 g carbs allows for enough vegetables. <snip>

I'm in the old school "eat your vegetables, they're good for you" camp. The more recent "more is better" vegetable hysteria is not something I subscribe to - healthful, lovely and fine if you enjoy it but not necessary or optimal for good health.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Arguing that just go ahead and eat whatever you like as long as you stay within calories.

Who says this?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Arguing that just go ahead and eat whatever you like as long as you stay within calories.

Who says this?

It will be interesting to see how the poster quoted responds. Again, false dilemma.