Dana in Arkansas
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    bump
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Katla, sounds like you have your hands full! Hopefully DH will get his rear in gear, because you are absolutely right, he has to use it or he will lose it! My mom had MS, she never let it slow her down, she maybe should have slowed down a bit, but..... She fought it every step of the way!
    Glad that Arrow behaved a bit for you today!
    Janet, those decorations are just beautiful!
    Allie, I figured cheating must have been involved, with people referring to Tom as Tomcat, it kinda made sense. So happy for you that you are done with that garbage, nobody deserves to be treated like that! Hopefully his lawyer will get "stuff" together so that you can be done with the whole business.
    Suebdew, sure hope you have something for that poison ivy allergy! That's gotta be nasty!
    Michele, so sorry to hear of your pastor's passing. Hope you can celebrate your anniversary in a special way that honours his memory also.
    Okie, I will try the apple. I suspect the apples in my fridge are just as tasty as the oranges! Really need to get some staples, I keep getting sidetracked. Was going to stop at the store, well, did stop at one, but their produce isn't always the greatest, was going to go to another, but ran out of time. Tomorrow..... If not, Monday for sure! Lol
    Kelly, Joaquin is just so cute! So happy for your good news about the end of helmet days, super great that his dad painted the fighting Irish man on it, certainly made it more fun, I'm sure. Sending good vibes to your hubby, hope he can find employment before too long. My hubby was let go many years ago, he was doing groundskeeping and janitorial at a private school when they decided to contract out the work instead of keeping their own staff. It was definitely hard to handle...... Things did work out for us, not quite the way we had planned, but at least he did find work after about 6 months, and it was a decent job, he was there for about 20 years.
    Rye, congrats on the new job!
    My day went well, busy at work today, so hardly had time to drool over the halloween candy! Lol Hubby wanted pizza for dinner, so I got him one, but got pasta for myself. As soon as I got home with it, I put half of it on my plate and just ignored the rest of it. I will use it for a lunch (or two!) this week. Sure did enjoy it! We don't eat out much, and don't do take out often either, so it really is a nice treat!
    We moved into a brand new townhouse in June, and we didn't worry too much about the baseboard heaters as it was quite warm then. Also, we have a heat pump so were using the cooling feature. Now we have discovered that the two baseboard heaters that are on the main floor (powder room and entry way) don't work. Grrrr..... Another e-mail to be sent to the developer. Construction is just booming here, so there is a lack of tradespeople and everyone seems to be in a hurry. We thought we were doing okay, ours was one of the last to be finished and we weren't in a hurry, everything looked like it was done (some residents were missing drywall in some areas!), but we are finding stupid things like the heaters not working. Oh well, at least the heat pump works well! Lol
    Really must to to bed, stupid alarm will be going off again in the morning.... Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island.

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    BECCA hope DH is ok

SHARON sorry you are going through this, we women will do a lot to excuse bad stuff and protect our family but comes a time when YOU have to come first

My eating is all over the place but still exercising as it improves my mood. Stressed about DHs hospital appointment even though he isn't ( well not outwardly anyway) but you can't tell with men.

Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,988 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Heather – You talk about so many ‘different’ foods than I am used to eating. Does the tandoori have curry in it? Isn’t curry a spice that are in a lot of Indian food? Sounds interesting; but, not sure I would make it; but, I did copy it just in case I want to do something totally off the wall for us.

Yes, curry is a spice used in a lot of Indian food ... it's delicious! :)

Here in Australia pumpkin is a savoury food, not a sweet food, so I will often eat pumpkin soup with curry to spice it up a bit.

Here in Australia, we also eat quite a bit of Indian food. Saag paneer or palak paneer is my favourite. But I like the dhal curries too.

M in Oz

About once a week we have one of these ... done with brown rice and lots of veggies.

Maharajah's Choice
    http://www.maharajahschoice.com/product_ready_meals.php

My favourite is Paneer Palak, but I also like Dhal Tadka and Dhal Makhani

Passage to India
    http://passagefoods.com/

I'll use the Butter Chicken simmer sauce in a slow cooker meal.

TastyBite
    http://www.tastybite.com.au/Australia-Products/indian-food

We use Jodhpur Yellow Dal with pumpkin soup or on its own, but it's really good with pumpkin soup.

We also like Kashmir Spinach and Madras Lentils

Our grocery stores have some of these, or I find them in one of the Asian markets around here. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Machka ~ I am amazed at your hair. It is a beautiful color. I've never had long hair and I always wonder how you manage to get it suds up and rinsed. Is it difficult?

Thanks! :)

I like that colour too ... probably one of my more favourite ones. Not my natural colour. :grin: I've been dying my hair since I was about 16 ... and discovered, at some point in my 30s, that I had started to go grey.

Right now, my hair is quite dark underneath, then there's a middle layer of about that colour, and a blonde top layer.

It's actually really easy to take care of.

I hop in the shower each morning, and mainly focus on suds-ing my scalp and the hair within a few inches of my scalp and neck. When that is all well lathered up, I kind of roll the rest of it up onto the top of my head and kind of scrunch it to get some shampoo on it. I'm not too fussed about getting every little bit of the bottom part.

Mondays and Fridays I do two lots of shampoo. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday I just do one.

Then I just stand under the shower to rinse it, and lift and move it a bit to get underneath.

That done, I get a big dollop of conditioner, and put that all over the bottom foot or so of my hair. Wait a minute or two, and rinse as before.

I'm actually not happy with my current conditioner. I used to use this particular brand of shampoo and conditioner, and then it seemed like they changed the formula so that the shampoo doesn't lather and the conditioner doesn't really work. I need quite a heavy conditioner ... something that sticks a bit. This one used to be like that, but is now so thin and light it feels like it comes off before I've even got it on. My hair is left so static-y. Today I had to use one of my spray conditioners at work to calm it down.

M in Oz

I would swear that picture of your back and Hair is actually a picture of mine! I feel the same way about conditioner and shampoo that you do. I have been using the same brand for over 20 years. I use TRIDESIGN 866-644-7373. I get it from my hairdresser. I would never use anything else.

:grin:

I might have to see if I can get that brand down here.
  • Machka9
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Machka- when we were in Syndny my DH ordered a hamburger and it was Hugh. It had beets, fried egg and all kinds of stuff on it. He just had to have one to try to see if he could eat it all.
    Suebdew in TX.

An Aussie Burger. :grin:

The first time I came to Australia, in 2004, a friend from the UK and I cycled and camped around Australia for 3 months.

The first couple months we were in the south where it was cooler and so our days were "normal" ... breakfast at 9 am or so, cycle for a while, lunch, cycle for a while, dinner and pitch camp for the evening.

Then we went up north to Queensland where it was really hot, so we changed things a bit ... up slightly before dawn and on the road for a little while, then a stop for breakfast, more cycling until about noon when the day started getting unbearable ... and we'd stop somewhere for an Aussie Burger and chips. Then we'd hang out somewhere shady or at the beach until about 4 or 5 pm, and then we'd cycle till dark, pitch camp, grab something really light to eat, and repeat.

So I've eaten quite a few of those things!! :grin:

When I moved to Australia in 2009 to live with my husband (we had married in 2008), I discovered we were living near the Igloo Roadhouse, in Buxton, home of the famous Buxton Burger, voted best burger in Victoria in 2005. :grin:

I have a photo of my husband with one, but I can't find it just now. But yes, they include everything.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca sending <3 and positive thoughts to you and DH. Hope the procedure gives him relief and is home asap.

Super warm Sunday here, I will take advantage and get some yard work done, kitchen needs cleaning and then of course, meal prep for the week. Going to be a busy one! I will make instant pot yogurt again, hard boiled eggs and already have bone broth for the week. Will get to the gym and have a great walk with bff catching up on everything is always fun the miles go by without even noticing.

Beth that is a really excellent price for the IP. Ive got the mini 3qt and that is the price I paid for it!

Take care everyone. NYKAREN
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    (((((((Hugs Becca!))))))) :heart:
  • Machka9
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Regarding scouts ...

http://www.scouts.com.au/about-us/history/scouting-comes-to-australia
    "Adapting to the general changes in Australian society, Scouting admitted girls and young women to its Venturer Scout and Rover Scout Sections in 1973 and its Cub Scout and Scout Sections in 1988. The Joey Scout Section commenced on 1 July 1990 and is open to boys and girls aged between six and seven-and-a-half years of age."

http://www.scouts.ca/ca/frequently-asked-questions
    "Does Scouts Canada Admit Both Boys and Girls?
    Yes, Scouts Canada became completely co-ed in 1998."

I'm afraid I don't understand the USA kerfuffle ... seems like they're just catching up the rest of the world.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Lenora (and Machka ) - I could write a book about "Indian" food as it is a passion of mine, but I will try and condense it. ;):o:)
    'Curry' is an Anglo-Indian word, adapted to mean spicy food in the days of empire. It is a rough translation of a small part of true "Indian" cookery. In western tradition it refers to a blend of spices, often combined as a shortcut to using them separately. I haven't used "curry" since the 60s!!!! I buy the individual spices and combine them for each dish in differing amounts. If I am in the mood I roast whole spices and grind them myself, but I'm normally too lazy. When I do that the flavour is sooooooooooooo much better. :D
    There is no such thing as "Indian" food. Every part of India, which is huge, has its own tradition and preferred spices. They vary hugely. The food we British eat in our ubiquitous Indian restaurants is not authentic and has never been near India. It is a degraded version of Bangladeshi food, because it was first cooked by immigrants from that area. I haven't been to an "Indian" restaurant in years. If I have to I have fish or vegetarian. There are a few restaurants that do authentic food, often vegetarian, but only in big cities.
    "Tandoori" refers to the superheated oven in which the food is cooked after marinating in yoghurt and spices. The oven is clay and goes up to 600 °. You lower the food into it and it is a very skilled job! "Nan" - a puffy bread, is made by throwing the dough onto the tandoori walls. Of course, at home I can't do this, so when I make fish or chicken kebabs I superheat my grill (broiler) to obtain the charred effect. It's also good on a bbq. Normally I make my own mix from my spices, but this time I used a ready made powder and it wasn't as good. I probably didn't use enough. "Tandoori marsala" and other saucy dishes don't exist in India, they are a corruption to suit western tastes. Yuk!
    I don't eat ready made food very often, but I do keep a jar of Korma paste, for occasions when I'm in a rush. It seems to suit dahl, (lentils).
    I make my own Paneer (pressed curd cheese). My own yoghurt. I sprout my own beans for a spicy "Ussal" dish. I love a paneer, spinach and red pepper spicy dish I make regularly. I make excellent saag dishes (spinach) with chicken or lamb. Sometimes I add some red lentils as a thickener. If I could only eat one cuisine for the rest of my life I would choose "Indian" for its variety and tastiness. Chilli is not required and many areas hardly use it. Others use a lot of it. The best thing about it is that you can make a few left over bits of veg and a spoonful of red lentils taste divine. The ultimate money saver. :D

Sorry if that's more information than you needed or wanted. :o:o:o

Michele - I always serve my food at times convenient for me. They know when it is. If they don't show up I leave them some means to make themselves breakfast, lunch etc. I do put back dinner a bit because I know we eat at a most unsophisticated time, 6.15, so I would push it back to around 7pm. That is still early for some folks, I know, but I get starving!!! Sometimes i serve nibbles in the living room with drinks as an alternative to a starter course so I'mnot too hungry. As far as the food goes I am generous with what goes on the table, but I only take a tiny bit of it. I don't eat dessert, carbs or lots of sauce. Just because it's on the table doesn't mean I have to eat it. :noway: I much prefer it if guests don't stay too long as we love our own routines, but I try to cook food they love. I would cook one night and go out to a restaurant the next. I don't like people staying more than two nights and run out of patience.
    We often leave people to sort themselves out in the mornings because we are busy exercising. The only times we don't do this is when the grandchildren are staying. <3

OK, that's more than enough from me! Becca - good wishes for the op. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    Sharon~ I know what your going through.. believe you me, the ladies here know too, as they have heard my stories about Tom. 20 yrs the first 8-10 were just great,but wow the last 10-12 just kept getting worse..
    I do not feel sorry at all for what he will go through financially as I was left with 20.00 a week and he had the rest of my paycheck.
    My dear friend Bev came last night and we drank a whole bottle of wine.. now ladies you know that is not like me, and I have my grandmothers wine sneeze lol I was stuffed up last night before bed, not any more..
    Bev and my other dear friends George and Mary Lou are planning on buying me a patio set with tables and chairs as a housewarming present, told them to wait, as once I buy will have the patio redone...Bev knows someone very reasonable...part of it right now is brick, and the rest is gravel, will have pavers put down all the way around so I can be steady footwise as I age.
    Lisa~ just so excited for you.. you sound so Happy, and I am Happy for you..
    I am so very very blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.. God is good. <3
  • Machka9
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lenora (and Machka ) - I could write a book about "Indian" food as it is a passion of mine, but I will try and condense it. ;):o:)
    'Curry' is an Anglo-Indian word, adapted to mean spicy food in the days of empire. It is a rough translation of a small part of true "Indian" cookery. In western tradition it refers to a blend of spices, often combined as a shortcut to using them separately. I haven't used "curry" since the 60s!!!! I buy the individual spices and combine them for each dish in differing amounts. If I am in the mood I roast whole spices and grind them myself, but I'm normally too lazy. When I do that the flavour is sooooooooooooo much better. :D
    There is no such thing as "Indian" food. Every part of India, which is huge, has its own tradition and preferred spices. They vary hugely. The food we British eat in our ubiquitous Indian restaurants is not authentic and has never been near India. It is a degraded version of Bangladeshi food, because it was first cooked by immigrants from that area. I haven't been to an "Indian" restaurant in years. If I have to I have fish or vegetarian. There are a few restaurants that do authentic food, often vegetarian, but only in big cities.
    "Tandoori" refers to the superheated oven in which the food is cooked after marinating in yoghurt and spices. The oven is clay and goes up to 600 °. You lower the food into it and it is a very skilled job! "Nan" - a puffy bread, is made by throwing the dough onto the tandoori walls. Of course, at home I can't do this, so when I make fish or chicken kebabs I superheat my grill (broiler) to obtain the charred effect. It's also good on a bbq. Normally I make my own mix from my spices, but this time I used a ready made powder and it wasn't as good. I probably didn't use enough. "Tandoori marsala" and other saucy dishes don't exist in India, they are a corruption to suit western tastes. Yuk!
    I don't eat ready made food very often, but I do keep a jar of Korma paste, for occasions when I'm in a rush. It seems to suit dahl, (lentils).
    I make my own Paneer (pressed curd cheese). My own yoghurt. I sprout my own beans for a spicy "Ussal" dish. I love a paneer, spinach and red pepper spicy dish I make regularly. I make excellent saag dishes (spinach) with chicken or lamb. Sometimes I add some red lentils as a thickener. If I could only eat one cuisine for the rest of my life I would choose "Indian" for its variety and tastiness. Chilli is not required and many areas hardly use it. Others use a lot of it. The best thing about it is that you can make a few left over bits of veg and a spoonful of red lentils taste divine. The ultimate money saver. :D

Sorry if that's more information than you needed or wanted. :o:o:o

Yes, I was going to add that the word "curry" often refers to the dish of food. My friend, Silpa, from south India (Kerala region) told me that at her university, at lunch, the students she hung out with would each bring a curry and they'd share them. They'd be all sorts of different foods, with or without the mix of spices we think of as curry.

She also told me that south India cuisine is traditionally very hot. We've got a Kerala take-away in our neighbourhood run by a family also from south India. For their many customers from India, they no doubt serve up the hot dishes, but they've come to recognise us, and they make ours mild. :)

I am still quite new to it all, and am learning what the words mean.

And just last year I made saag paneer in my slow cooker!! I bought the paneer, but made the rest ... it was actually really good!
    https://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/sunday-slow-cooker-saag-paneer

As for favourite cuisines ... for me, I'd put "Mexican" at the top (that's long been a favourite of mine), but "Indian" would come in second, I think. And as I said, I'm new to "Indian" food ... ate some for the first time in 2002, and have only been eating it relatively regularly in the last 5 or 6 years!! :)

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (((Sharon )))

Becca prayers for DH.

Michele Happy Anniversary!

Heather loved all the info on Indian food. We have a few Indian restaurants around here. Their menus are all basically the same. I think you are right. Some of the dishes are added to cater to American tastes just like Mexican food too. So much depends on the chef who prepares the meal. When my mother lived in Indian their cooks adapted to her families tastes too. My mother did talk about chutney and chicken at Thanksgiving because they did not have Turkey.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,955 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, Happy Anniversary

:)<3Sharon, I stayed in my bad first marriage for a long time because I had been raised to believe that "marriage is forever" and I did everything I could to make it work. When it finally ended, I mourned the loss of the dream, not the loss of the man, and I felt good about myself for having tried my best even though the marriage failed.

:)Heather, We rarely have house guests, but when we do, we much the same as you do, and it works. Your explanation was great.

:)<3Becca, sending love and hugs to you and your hubby at this challenging time.

:)Allie, How is the gym at your new place? How have you fit it into your schedule? Have you figured out what to eat now that you don't have to fix for Tom?

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington