WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    At last I have managed to make a day to go up to London to visit my cancer friend. I'm going on Wednesday, the day after DH's birthday. I will have to keep an eye on the calories two days running. :*:o Must make a plan. I'm inclined to go a bit mad when I've escaped bounds. >:)>:)>:)
    Her best local friend, who has been a huge support to her, has just had secondaries diagnosed in both breasts, bones and liver. My friends, you never know when life will change. Seize the day!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    Off to a neighbor's house for homemade apple strudel yikes
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Joyce well I had a one time fling with Mr Oreo Cookies!!! Well before I finished a row, I put them in another plastic container, and told him its over!
    I am out of sorts today!
    Well, Oregon Health & Science's University hospital is a teaching hospital, so not a lot of glitz and fanfare. I don't know if they're doing a stent procedure or not. I would imagine a years worth of stent work has taken its toll on that duct! I am debating on whether to drive in late tonight, and be able to avoid any traffic, but I would be trying to sleep wherever. But at least I would be there.
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,688 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,688 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

jog- 5.23min, 6.1-8.0sp, 10.46min mi 153mhr, 1/2 mi = 70c
    Apple Watch- 79c
    floor exercises - 5320min, 19 Diff exercises, 3sts of 10, 6sets of 15ea of incline slide crunch, 6sets of 10ea of single leg squats, 3sets of 10ea, arm slide push-ups. 148mhr, = 311c
    Apple Watch- 276c
    rowing machine- 15min, 51aw, 125mhr, 2391meters = 91c
    Apple Watch- 120c

total cal 472
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Becca- thinking and praying for you both..
    There are a few units going up for sale here and I looked at one across the hall..I still like mine better..
    Had a lovely time will Dagmar and Lil I'm going to fit in just fine here...making a list of things in need of repair or replacement before I buy ...court tomorrow will fill you all in..
    Got a text..no court...just have to go to lawyers office and sign a paper.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Rye, good news about the job. I'm so happy for you .

Had a good day yesterday shopping with my daughter and even bought some jeans which were another size smaller. Which makes it even more difficult for me to understand why I'm having trouble eating right and tracking.

Going to have to do a little soul searching and figure out what's up. Tomorrow's a new day and a new chance to get back on track.

Off to bed.

Terry in VT
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I think I had one of the BEST brownie/girl scout leaders in the world. She was the mother of a long-time friend. She always planned for everything and we always had fun at whatever we were doing. Structured; but, still flexible … would have never known she was an alcoholic. I think having us come once a week was a ‘high point’ in her life. We made Indian dresses out of a pillowcase … I did that with my grandchildren; we made snowflakes by folding paper and cutting shapes, origami, but the best was when we went to their cabin (down from their house on the pond) and slept over and had her ‘goulash’. She always was positive and taught us so much. She pretty much stayed home all day while her husband worked and the kids were at school. She was probably lonely out in the country with nobody around. They had a really neat house – it was small; but, I remember the long winding drive had rocks along the side of it.

Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Becca - wish we could be with you at the hospital with DH tonight. We'll be in your pocket! Keep us posted!!

Allie
    - glad you don't have to take off work and go to court. Sounds like the flame is getting turned up on his side big time. Glad you are loving your new home and getting it fixed up like you want it!

Heather
    - great that you can go visit your friend with cancer on Wednesday. Wow, sorry to hear about her friend having secondaries (lymph nodes?) diagnosed in so many places.

Lisa - how freeing to be finding homes for your stuff - Facebook is good for commerce, that's for sure. That camper shell sounds ideal! Are you planning on heading east on October 31st... or as soon as you are packed up and ready?

Kelly - what a cute photo of Joaquin now helmet free! Our big rain is starting on Tuesday - we'll send it out your way in a week or so, lol. In case you need more!

Rita
    - so glad you are back. (((HUGS)))) glad things are bit a better with your DH in a new location. I hope you are having a great time in your adventures - New Mexico is on my bucket list! My dad was verbally and emotionally abusive toward me, and when my DH is in a bad mood it's easy for me to take it personally since I was so often the target when I was a kid and what I hear is running through those old filters. It's taken many years of me "handing it back" and instructing DH how to say things in a nice - constructive way instead of blurting it out in what I hear as a hateful way. His dad was abusive toward his mom so I don't think he knew there WAS another way. By golly, he's learning tho. <3>:)<3

Question for those of you who have had your gall bladders removed. Do you think it makes you more prone to Acid Reflux - GERD? I can pretty much eat anything I want, but don't seem to desire eating much meat like I used to, and when I overeat even a little bit, I am pretty much guaranteed a tummy ache. We now have our evening meal by 4:30 so we go to bed on fairly empty stomachs.

I may have to go back on Nexium for a couple weeks. I've been tested for H Pylori several times and it's always negative.

Have a great week ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

I’m home from the Moose convention and reading as much as I can to catch up. I did have to skip some pages which I hate to do. I’m so interested in all of you and what going on and I know I am missing some things. Anyway because of that I am not going to respond to anyone specifically. Just know I missed you, my Phat Chat Sisters. I see there is lots going on with family issues and health issues. I hope that all can be resolved positively. Congrats to all with victories. Prayers and Hugs to all that need them.

The convention was good. I got some good information to take back to our chapter. It’s always nice to renew friendships with those from other chapters and other cities and states. I didn’t keep up with my calories very well but we did pretty good on our evening meals. We ate lunch out twice and all other meals were in our room. Just mainly drank too many calories but plan to get back to the plan starting tomorrow.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am loving retirement! I am currently on a road trip with a friend who also recently retired. We are touring Southern coastal towns. We have been to Savannah and Tybee Island and are in Charleston for a few more days before heading to Myrtle Beach. If anyone has any recommendations for things to do, see or places to eat between Charleston and Myrtle Beach please let me know.

The best meal of the trip so far was dinner on Tybee Island in a strip mall called Sundae Cafe. It was recommended by the owner of a little shop. My appetizer was a Seafood Cheesecake which had shrimp, crab and smoked Gouda cheese.

I began volunteering at my grandson's class before the trip. He is in first grade. His teacher has me sit with the students and they read a book or two to me. There are 16 in the class. Oh my, I deeply admire all teachers and their boundless patience.

Cathy, Arlington,TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an Accellerated Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do another segment of a 15 minute yoga DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Went to see Bob yesterday in the hosp. His wife was the woman who I always said was so overweight but her diet! Then she passed. Well, he had knee replacement. He really needed it 2 years ago but he kept putting it off so that he could take care of his wife. Yesterday would have been his anniversary. He did remember. He talked quite a bit about his wife, but that's OK. He does seem better, he's walking (he took 66 steps!). I'm sure he's on a pain killer, but he was sitting up in the chair. He's still not eating much and losing weight, but they started him on an appetite stimulant so we have to wait for that to kick in.

Lisa - this is the first house we've ever had that wasn't on a well, and we like it much much better. When the power goes out (not that it ever has since we've moved here) at least you still have water. We never have to worry about the well running dry. If, say, you're taking a shower and someone starts the washer, the water pressure doesn't drop. Are you sure you want a well? We have a septic, and I really don't find that a real big deal. You might want to look into whether solar is really feasible. Our detached garage would be a perfect place for it. However, our electric rates are so low that it really doesn't make sense yet. We're sure we can power at least the pool with it, but right now it really doesn't make much sense. Not unless our electric rates go up. Great job getting that camper!

Heather - yes, eating dinner in Europe at 6! You'd think you were American....lol I'm the same way with the food, make lots of it, I take only a little bit until after everyone else takes what they want. I also like to see what it is that people like and will avoid taking that. I'm not a sauce eater either. I will make it for someone else, tho and put it on the side because it's not for me. Steve doesn't stay very long, but I really think he asked to stay an extra day here this time because he really doesn't have anyone to talk to that's knowledgable about computers. He and Vince have that in common. He doesn't mind if we go and do what we need to do. Like he was here Wednesday and I had a meeting. Thurs in the a.m. I was volunteering at the Green Room and then he didn't mind that in the evening I went back. It's just that his tastes in food are so different from mine. I think what I did was a good compromise, I made the steak for him (and Vince) and the pork chops for me. He didn't mind that Friday a.m. I went to the Y to exercise and wasn't here when he left. So I guess you could say that he's a good guest.

KJ - oh, Steve (really, all guests) know that they can help themselves in my kitchen. When Colby and now Steve come here, they just open the cabinet, take a glass, open the freezer and take some ice. I have no problem with that. I know when I can do that, it makes me feel so much more comfortable. Yup, I bought Steve the juice he likes. I'm not crazy about it. Actually, he brought some on his own but he finished up what I had since it was in the refrigerator and took his home with him. Jessica had a great leader when she was in scouting, I don't think Denise's was all that great. If the child continues I think has a lot to do with the leader. Oh, Joaquin looks precious, helmet or not. I'm so happy for him

Vince picked up the new lawnmower yesterday, now he's charging it. We really need to cut the grass. The first time we're going to put the blades on the highest level they can go on, make the first cut, then lower the blades and make the second cut, the grass is that tall

Jess has flown to Austin for a conference. She'll only be there a few days but at least the company is paying for it!

Made some more chocolate bran muffins this a.m. Still really trying to up my fiber. but even with all the fiber I'm trying to eat, my poops (sorry anyone) still slide out. At least it isn't diarrhea. I've finished the bottle of kefir but I now have these Dannimal smoothies that contain probiotics

Vince isn't feeling well, says his stomach is upset. Thinks he has a stomach virus. Really, he's such a baby. After getting up and having breakfast he had to go back to bed. He'll be fine, I'm sure.

Becca - hopefully it's something else that is making your hubby jaundiced. Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Heather - when you buy things (food) from Amazon, do you have to get a large amount of something?

Strung some more popcorn. May do a little bit more another day

Roasted two small spaghetti squash and made the veggie hummus bites to take with me to Rummikub Tues night. Went to Aldi this a.m., there was hardly anyone there when I got there, but by the time I left the parking lot was jammed. Well, it's Sunday and places are empty in the a.m. Got some of the spaghetti squash that was on sale and butternut squash. Found out I can freeze butternut squash. hmmmm...do you need to roast it before you freeze it? I wouldn't think so.

janetr - your ornaments take my breath away

Cathy - I bet DJ would have some good suggestions for you.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) Stats for today"
    *14,000 steps
    *2016 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *127 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *45 minutes puttering in the yard
    *two hour nap
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

I may have to go back on Nexium for a couple weeks. I've been tested for H Pylori several times and it's always negative.

Have a great week ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Do some research on Nexium before you do. Turns out ... it is a poison.

I was put on that stuff a number of years ago ... on it for about a year ... horrible stuff ... then it took me about 4 months to wean off. But so thankful I did in light of recent studies.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Becca)))

Lanette: I took Nexium and/or its generic twin for a period of years for acid reflux because a doctor told me I would get cancer of the esophagus if I didn't. It messed with my mental acuity and memory. If you have to take it at all, make sure that your doctor explains how to minimize issues from it and has an exit strategy so that it is temporary and as short term as your situation allows. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lanette, well I have yet to drive to the hospital, my husband saying there is no need, until the day I have to pick him up. No place for me to stay etc. Tomorrow is the procedure, and he will call me afterwards. He will be staying overnight for observation, and will call me on Tuesday morning on status, and I will probably drive there at 9 am on Tues. He's been really good about calking me after the doctors see him. I always know its him, because he burps in the phone! My crass salty sailor man! Haha!
    Becca
    Alone at home and hating it!!!
    In Oregon
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Becca - Sending prayers for your DH. Difficult not to be there to see for yourself what is happening.

KJ - Joaquin! Such a cutie.

Rita - So many of us stay hoping it will get better. I had to come to the bitter realization that it is only getting worse. I am so sorry for your bad experiences. We deserve better. I don't think that love, respect and caring is that much to ask from someone who is supposed to be your life partner. I think back on my marriage and know that if it had been happening to a friend that I would have been screaming at them to get out.

Lenora - Larry doesn't really drink anymore but yes I have been to Al Anon through the years.

Heather - Have a great visit with your friend. Cancer is such a beast!

Joyce - Looks like Mozart really knows how to relax.

I had to work today. How I hate working on Sunday. Getting the registers out today was a challenge as they were put out wrongly yesterday and of course mixed everything up. Took a bit to straighten it all out. The break schedule wouldn't print out except in tiny type. Needed a magnifying glass to see it. 4 newbies today.
    One has shared with all the staff that "Cashiering is not a man's job", he is "smarter than most including the managers". Etc., etc. "She doesn't need to train me I know all about this" I kept him for 3 hrs and he no longer has to worry that cashiering is not a man's job. Waste of 2 days training an I had quite a few staff come and complain about him. I was doing training with another. Oh my I was not prepared for his Asperger's. Trying to keep him on track was challenging. He genuinely wants to learn. It drove me crazy training him but was also very interesting. He talks a lot but that's not always the worst thing for a cashier. I was however glad to turn him back to the head cashier for register training. I hope he can make this work. I just smiled when he shared with me that he is extremely brilliant.

Larry is home again. We didn't talk much. Ate supper and watched television. Chico is overjoyed to have both his people.

Sharon in Lethbridge