WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Heather, my DH also has panic attacks on occasion. It is so hard to watch someone have one. There isn't really anything you can do to help. Wow what a shock to find out you have a twin.

Chris, I get that green eyed monster when I have to process an employee because they are retiring. Talk about in your face! Sounds like you have a nibble at a job. Good luck!

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy World Food Day -

Today I'm reminding myself that while I struggle to eat fewer calories, there are people in the world who don't have enough to eat.

Lisa - Your request to the universe is much like mine would be. I love our old house here in town, but a few acres would sure be nice. As for the Scouts... I'm a proud Camp Fire alumna. They've been coed for decades!

Heather - I adore Indian food, from all parts of the country. It's surprising how easy it is to make, too, once you have a few basic ingredients on hand. The vegetables are the very best! When we're splurging I make rasmalai.

Allie - Your place is looking beautiful and cozy.

Barbie - Like you, I found when my first marriage failed that I was grieving for the marriage. I didn't miss the man much, and what I did miss were things I was better off without. I'd notice how quiet it was without the TV on all the time, or how I could go where I wanted without worrying about him spoiling the trip for everyone. People would say, "Do you miss him?" and I'd answer, "Like I miss hitting myself with a hammer after I stop." Sad but true.

Karen - I order from Penzey's Spices quite a bit. They've got a new blend for fruit that I think I've got to try!

Janet - I love the sweet little pink rosebuds on that last ornament.

Cheri - Your daughter is a cutie! She looks a lot like you!

I'm sitting here in (lightweight) long sleeves - I think we've officially survived another Texas summer. That's not to say it won't be 90 degrees tomorrow, but the worst of it should be over. What a relief... I'd rather be cold than hot any day. There's a limit to how many layers of clothes you can take off!

Right now I'm boiling peanuts for Philip. I remembered the smell the last time I made them, so this time the slow cooker is sitting on the front porch instead of the kitchen counter. As soon as those are done I'm going to experiment with using the cooker to make yogurt.

I've been sabotaging myself on the weekends, two weeks in a row. Time to renew my focus on that upcoming 60th birthday.

Welcome to all the new arrivals!

-Yvonne in TX
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Rye, I have a cat that looks just like your furry grey one! We think she has some Maine Coon in her, she was a rescue, found her at my former workplace. She hung around for a month, before I finally brought her home. She's been with us for about 16 years now. We already had 2 cats, didn't really need another one, but .... She's been a real sweetie tho, gonna miss her when she's gone.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Terry - One thing I've found that helps when he is curled into a sweating, shrivelling wreck is to wring a flannel out in cold water and press it to his forehead and face. It seems to bring him back into the present. He has said it helps a lot. He seems to go far, far away when he is in a bad state. He hasn't had one of those for a while now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaNowInNC
    LisaNowInNC Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    JanetR - struggling with the new username, won't let me send a message without a password, won't accept my password, but I can post on here! Send me a quick e-mail at [personal details removed, please share e-mail addresses via private message], so I've got your email address, and I'll send pics of the ribbon I've got, so you can decide if it's useful for you, and we'll work something out. :) I left spaces in that deliberately so it won't register as a link. Just make sure to take them out before using it to email me. :)

Lisa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Laundry mat today. Never realized before my adventure how much is cost! Close to $20 a week!

All the Nexium talk has me worried. I have been taking it every day for over 5 years now. Doc told me I could get cancer from my GERD if I didn't treat it. Going to cut down to every other day and hopefully get rid of it eventually. Hoping that helps my memory problems.

Rita in Carlsbad Laundry. Moving to new area tomorrow.

Rita - Have you ever had your B12 levels checked? DH and I both had that done a couple years ago. My mom had dementia (she wasn't on any acid blockers) and but was suspected she had low B12 since her mom (my maternal grandmother) had B12 shots for many years and was sharp as a whip when she finally passed from a stroke at 97.

Turns out my levels were lower than DH's who has been on a PPI for years. Neither of us were in the danger zone, but getting close so I take a 5000 mcg B12 lozenge under the tongue a couple times a week per my doctor. I take the "methylcobalamin" form which is the most absorbable from what I understand. You'll see lots of B12 on the store shelf but it's not all the same. My doc said folks who take B12 supplements can often get their B12 levels up quickly, so will have that tested in the near future. I'm not sure if Medicare pays for it - our doc has deals with labs and can get some of the expensive tests done at very reasonable cost.

Katla
    - thank you for the very informative article by the way! Not overeating, not eating before bed, and cutting out the danger stuff (for me it's chocolate and too much caffeine) helps me once I get it under control. I'm afraid I was a very bad girl this past month, overeating before bed, eating the wrong stuff, waking in the middle of the night with a sinus headache and chugging coffee for the painkilling caffeine...my tummy finally said ENOUGH!

Doing better - even something as simple as a glass of water with a tsp. of baking soda or some Tums now and then helps during the day. Bananas make a good snack.

Felicia - gorgeous gams! My legs never looked that good in jeans even when I was skinny!!! <3

Terry in VT
    - good for you coming down in the sizes! <3

Cheri - Happy Anniversary, loved the photo of you and your sister, lol. You and Terry win the prize for daughters than don't age! Good genes and good lifestyle pay off!

Chris - Gosh I am SO excited for you!!!!! Something will click on the new job front now that you have put out feelers!!!

Heather - my DH turns 72 in a few weeks. He often says he never thought he would live this long. He gets more depressed when winter comes on, I know his arthritis really kicks up. I am sorry your DH has bad spells; interesting about his missing twin. I think you've said before he had a hard childhood - England in 1945 and the years after the war had to be tough. My DH says he thinks he was reincarnated from a soldier who died in WWII.

Did my early morning shopping. Got two 20# bags of bird seed. I pulled them off the pile at Walmart, and had to look twice at the weight marked on the bag because they seemed so light. 20 pounds seems like 10 now - last year at this time it was an effort. When I got home, I did my strength exercises (3 x per week) and there's not a day that goes by that I'm not thankful I've been hitting those dumbbells and ankle weights because of things I can do now that I am stronger. :)

OK, where is Leigh??? Hope her trip to the US is/was good and she's back in France.

Lanette
    SW WA State where we are having our last sunny, dry, and warmish day (mid 60's) for the rest of the week. Weatherman says 4 to 6 inches of rain here by the end of the week.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri and Terry your beautiful mother/daughter pics are making me miss my girl---you all look wonderful.

Chris sending good thoughts your way as you search for a new job.

Pretty average work day but i am enjoying the slight nip in the air, we may even get overnight frost! I do love autumn so much, as the light changes on the drive home i love how cozy being home feels.

NYKARE
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    N
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Cheri, my daughter is 34 and looks 18. She has the same problem as your daughter.

Terry6qjqghdntgkh.jpg

OMGoodness! Great genes! Beautiful pic!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I think waiting alone in the nursing home to be adopted after his twin was already adopted must have left scars in that baby brain. It was the local female doctor who persuaded his adoptive mother to take him as she felt worried about him. They did their best, but they were young. She was bipolar and had an eating disorder - was often in a mental hospital having electric shock treatment - and his father was distant, as we're so many in that era. DH had a younger brother and sister, naturally born. They told him he was adopted when he was 10, but he didn't learn about his twin sister until he was 47.

Heather UK xxxxxxx

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    evening ladies
    I am in bed and have my homer on the bed with me all is right with the world... Dagmar came to meet him and brought him a bag of doggie treats..
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mary Makes me homesick. I'm from Denver, I miss the mountains so much. Thanks for the picture.

Janetr okc
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Still itching. May call dr tomorrow. I bought some medicine from HEB yesterday that is suppose to work in three or four days.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.33min, 148mhr, 11.8amph. 1.4mi= 87c
    apple watch- 68c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 30min, 59rpm, 7lat, 1lvl, 137mhr, 3.74mi = 201c
    apple watch- 193c
    *old* SKI MACHINE- 17min, 15-25resist, 3-6incl, 134mhr, .73mi = 118c
    apple watch- 114c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.05min, 14.4amph, 133mhr, 1.4mi= 59c
    appple watch- 45c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 17.34min, 147mhr, 10.5amph, 3mi= 163c
    apple watch- 111c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.14min, 148mhr, 10.05min mi, .5mi= 62c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.41min, 10.27min mi, 147mhr, .4mi = 65c
    apple watch- 53c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20min, 7.6amph, 156mhr, 2.5mii= 192c
    apple watch- 133c

total cal 948
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa I emailed you. Thanks. :)

Janetr okc
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    All the Nexium talk has me worried. I have been taking it every day for over 5 years now. Doc told me I could get cancer from my GERD if I didn't treat it. Going to cut down to every other day and hopefully get rid of it eventually. Hoping that helps my memory problems.

Rita in Carlsbad Laundry. Moving to new area tomorrow.

I went to 3/4 of a pill each day, then 1/2 a pill each day, then 1/4 of a pill each day, then 1/4 of a pill every other day ... or something like that ... when I weaned off it, and I stuck at each level for 2-3 weeks until the absolutely horrifically agonising pain in my stomach went away. It returned for a week to 10 days each time I reduced the amount of Nexium, but would then ease and I'd give myself a week or so, then brace for the next cut.

It can be incredibly difficult to get off because of that stomach pain ... for me it was so bad, and I kept thinking that maybe the next day I'd have a whole pill. But I stuck it out ... and eventually, after a few months, it does get better.

And it is a huge relief to be off it.

My genetic mutation needs B12 and magnesium (and a few other vitamins & minerals) to keep it under control. What I didn't know, until I had been on Nexium for nearly a year, is that Nexium blocks the absorption of B12. Great! One of the main vitamins I need!!

I am hoping that year on Nexium didn't do any permanent damage.

M in Oz